My first drift project. Irish volvo 940 estate. Advice welcome.

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by Dozzler, Feb 16, 2016.

1. Okoye

Okoye Member

16t's are a nice upgrade from the small thing that came on them originally.

2. Catalyst

Catalyst Member

16T Was a good upgrade - I thought about the 15g as its easier to fit but in the end a good 16t and mig welder came up at the same time so the decision was made! When I got the 16t I also got the downpipe, that way it was much easier to fit by chopping off the flange then welding it onto a V band for the rest of the exhaust. Its pretty much 3" from turbo back that way as well which should produce good results although I know not everyone is convinced about that.

3. Dozzler

Dozzler New Member

Do you have any pics of the install? I'm waiting for the guy to come back to me, £150 shipped is quite a steal in my eyes so i'm awaiting his details to send payment. Hopefully it works out. If so i'd love to see how you did it so i can attempt the conversion myself..

4. Dozzler

Dozzler New Member

So last night i got the car to my friends garage.
    I started by stripping out the aircon system which i was expecting to be heavier but weighed a good bit all the same.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then the exhaust came off. We cut it before the cat so a straight pipe can be welded on.
    May do a side exit just because its less work, less pipe, less weight etc..

[​IMG]

The towbar and rear valance came off too. there must have been 10kgs of mud hidden behind it all.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Yes that's a cnc machine in the corner which will come in handy for many many things in this build.

While on the lift i noticed a steering fluid leak from the top of the pump and at least three engine oil leaks so I'm now considering full hose, vaccum lines and gasket replacements including the head just to maintain reliabilty for the future.. Can anyone recommend the best place to buy good quality replacement kits besides the volvo main dealers?

Picking up this seat, harness and sidemount rails tomorrow. I just hope we can make them fit..

[​IMG]

#24 Dozzler, Mar 2, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2016
  5. Andy318ti

Andy318ti Active Member

I bought an Elring kit on ebay, £50 for every seal.
    Make sure you pull the sump and check the oil feed pipe seals. Buy them from volvo as others can blow out.

6. Dozzler

Dozzler New Member

Thanks man, i'll check them out.

I think i'll pull the engine and box out, strip it down and replace all the seals, rubbers, pipes, hoses, leads and any other perishibles as i've bought the 16t and wanna fit it straight away.

Decided i'm gonna put a full proper stainless 3" turbo back exhaust on while i'm at because it sounds dirty(the bad kind) and way too loud up front. Plus i've to change the downpipe to suit the 16t anyways..

In the meantime i've trial fitted my new seat and harness. The existing rear mounting holes worked perfect for the rails but need to weld in steel for the front ones to bolt to. The harness eyes bolted straight into all the existing seatbelt mounts which was a plus!

[​IMG]

Also picked up these wheels which after i have them banded and painted should look like the ones below. I like!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#26 Dozzler, Mar 5, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2016
  7. Okoye

Okoye Member

That would look absolutely mint!

8. Dozzler

Dozzler New Member

The 16t arrived today! I should've got some downpipe with it but i'm sure the exhaust shop quys will make it work.. I've seen a 3" v band welded to turbo outlet to mate with the downpipe which would be the best solution should i ever wish to go for a much bigger turbo..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Found another pic of a 940 with those wheels.. Anybody have any idea what the approximate width and offset might be?

[​IMG]

9. mint

mint touch my fruit

That is awesome!!!!

10. Olliehood

Olliehood Member

Had a look into those wheels a while back. Hard trying to find a set for resonable money and then getting them banded put them into bmw hub adapters and bmw wheels money so that's what I done. So cool looking though. Make me want to get a set as the insignia is bmw fitment and are 17's.

I have my old wheels for cheap if you need skid rims. 15" x5 and have a set of 3 and an odd one too

11. Dozzler

Dozzler New Member

Finally got all the bits together needed to make sure we're starting from a good base..
    Full gasket and seals kit, head gasket kit, timing belt, tensioner and water pump kit.

Then after a bit of digging and research i got these few bits:
    Genuine 850R sachs clutch kit, m90 release bearing and b230 spigot bearing. Also a new slave cylinder as they tend to get hairy..

[​IMG]

TTV lightweight flywheel made to take 850R clutch..

[​IMG]

BC racing coilovers all round..

[​IMG]

Due to lack of time I've given the car and all the parts to Mike at Deane Motorsport but being so busy with the drift season he still hasn't managed to get at it..
    He has however put aside a motec m4? ecu and has plans for changing the ignition to a coilpack setup and running gtr injectors as well as many other things i had never thought of and honestly don't quite understand. We've found someone local with a full extra lock kit fitted to their 940 so my buddy with the cnc machine will hopefully be reproducing them for me in the new year also..

Changed my mind on the styling too, gonna most likely go a bit crazy with arches, chassis mounted bgw and big fuck off drifty wheels but can't find insiration besides this one..

[​IMG]

All i can do now is play the waiting game, hope to have some updates before the end of january..

Merry christmas to all!

12. Adammay

Adammay New Member

Love and miss my 940. Have an S14 now but I will own another! Surprised to many people.
    Ttv flywheel, 850r clutch, 240GL cam, vernier pulley, 15c turbo, 3 inch down pipe, straight through to a cannon, home made 3 inch maf, cps worth 440 injectors.
    My friend did a similar set up (who I got all my parts off) but with a big fmic and 18T turbo and it made 303bhp. All bolts ins and done for less that £1200. Keep it up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. monty400k

monty400k New Member

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG] [​IMG][/URL][/IMG] [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]