Rb25 power loss solution

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by AxelS14.5sx, Mar 20, 2016.

1. AxelS14.5sx

AxelS14.5sx Member

Had the r33 on a dyno today after a year or so since the last time.

ill start with spec.

Tommy kiara m25 RB25 (not sure if this engine has anything other than standard) never opened by myself.
    HKS 2540
    555cc injectors
    Sard fuel pump, fuel pressure reg and airfilter
    Full straight pipe exhaust (no mufflers)
    Tommy kiara ecu with HKS f-con gold piggyback
    Spitfires
    blitz fmic

Today at it pulled a 358 fly hp
    1-2years ago with cat and vac leak was 370

running 1-1.2 bar
    AFR reading good.

what you guys think I can get max with the setup I have and what is the first thing restricting me.

thanks

2. AxelS14.5sx

AxelS14.5sx Member

3. AxelS14.5sx

AxelS14.5sx Member

Older results

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. BenRice

BenRice Well-Known Member

Seems to have been tuned slightly richer, hence the lower amounts

Turbo will be the biggest limiting factor. 2540's are good factory replacement turbo's - great for midrange on a 25 but not so for peak hp

If you're wanting over 400 then look at a suitably sized Holset or TD06 - try get something internally gated so you don't need the added expense of an exhaust manifold. Your injectors may be nearing their limit by then too but might see you right, especially if the tuner feels the engine is safe to tune at 12:1 again. I see the boost dropping off in the higher revs too, another sign the turbo is starting to get pushed out of it's optimal range

2540's will be an ideal upgrade for CA's, SR's and RB20's so you'll get good resale on it

5. AxelS14.5sx

AxelS14.5sx Member

Thanks It looks like I need to buy upgrades lol
    Probably best to get a top mount setup if I'm going down the new turbo route.

6. BenRice

BenRice Well-Known Member

You don't have to, standard exhaust manifold is good to 450hp+ and other options are either absolute shit (cracking, warped flanges, VERY bad fit) or quite expensive.

You also run the risk of snapping exhaust studs during removal (HUGE PITA to remove, especially with engine in place), will need custom oil & coolant lines, and fabricate a new dump pipe and intercooler piping. So all in all try keep the standard for as long as you can as it's a lot more than just a manifold.

Would start off by asking the tuner why he retuned it richer than the initial tune. Were there issues with detonation? Or is he just a pussy?

7. AxelS14.5sx

AxelS14.5sx Member

I've never had It set up whilst I've owned it, as far as I know from old owner it was imported like it is.
    I have looked into it but because of the hks management I'm normally told very few will touch it and to change management.

It only now that I'm seeing a drop in power that I want to get a increase.

Yea, cheap manifolds crack and anything good costs a bomb.
    It not been long since I changed manifold gasket and noticed a hairline crack in it so will need a new one regardless.
    Going to look into turbos etc and see what I can find.