325ti temporary skidder while the v8 mx5 is completed

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by flinn_c+, Mar 20, 2016.

Tags:
  1. flinn_c+

flinn_c+ Member

Hello again,

Thought I would start a thread and get a bit of help with the new car.

I am building a 1uz mx5 but as this is my first engine swap it is taking a while (want to do it all myself)

below is my old v8 s13 and the mx.

[​IMG]

had various e36's before but the 46 compact seems a bit of a headake to get a lsd for

[​IMG]

so any advice on an lsd would be great

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

current plans are some 15's for the rear with a lsd (want to keep this as a road car as well as skidder, dailied the mx5 with a welder and honestly lost what the mx is all about)

coilovers, chopped hubs. have some bbs rt's needing a refurb if i can be bothered

the lsd is the headache so please help

2. Okoye

Okoye Member

Didn't know that existed at all.

3. Andy318ti

Andy318ti Active Member

You'd need to fit 46 m3 rear end or fit an aftermarket diff. Doubt there are many available.
    Just weld it.

4. flinn_c+

flinn_c+ Member

cant find a reasonably priced option for an lsd :( looks like welding might be myonly option, such a shame to spoil such a good ride but drifting was the main reason for the car.

anyone else skidding one?

5. J_W97

J_W97 Member

Debated getting one instead of my 36 compact but can't get over the front end. How similar to the coupe are they structurally? Always wanted to swap the coupe bumpers etc over.

6. critical333

critical333 New Member

I was looking to get myself one for an E46. The cheapest option I found (which was still quite an expense) was to get E36 LSD and get someone who knows what they're doing to replace the LSD from the e36 diff to your e46's. Other options for e46 LSD is going M3 rear axle/diff route. Apart from custom made LSD specifically for e46.

Note: only mid size (i think its the 188, cant remember right now) e36 LSD is good for donor

7. 37emeralds

37emeralds New Member

Why do you think you will "spoil" the ride by welding it? I have a 2005 330CI ZHP daily driver with a welded diff that I skidaddle when it's wet out! The parking lot chirp doesn't bother me at all. Other than that, not much of driveability difference, really. I paid $80 to get mone welded. Beats spending thousands on an lsd (which, by the way, do fail sometimes)

8. driftyste

driftyste Member

9. Jays36

Jays36 New Member

I had no idea these even existed, can you front end swap them?

10. SidewaysRookie

To be fair BMW's handle differently to jap cars with welded diffs, how can you lot not know about 46 compacts? there are quite a few people racing/drifting them just google it. There are a few compacts on the internet too with coupe front ends so its not impossible.. I quite favour the compact just for the sheer wait difference over most bm's..

Weld
    Strip
    Lower

Simples :nod: