PS13 bimmer swap

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by CF., Mar 11, 2011.

1. Terror Factor

Terror Factor Member

This thing is so awesome! I've been looking at this swap too, as it seems to work about at roughly the same as a 1jz single, but with easy and cheap available gearboxes, disadvantage is the need to open the block (if only for arp studs and a headgasket) for decent power.
    What made you go m50 instead of 1jz (or something else)?

The main reason you tilted the engine was because of fitment issues because of the RHD, right?
    So it would work at the original BMW angle in a LHD car? I don't have the skills/tools to do the swap myself, so it would be interesting to keep everything as stock as possible.

2. frib

frib New Member

looks absolutely amazing man congrats :)

3. LiamE36

LiamE36 Active Member

Just read it all start to finish.

I need that engine!

The workmanship is stop on, nice one.

4. R32 GTR

R32 GTR Active Member

great build any update on the issues?

5. Koncept_drifT

Koncept_drifT Member

first time seeing this.. car is super sick love the swap love the ingenuity behind it all! and of course great execution ..

6. CF.

CF. Member

Thanks guys and a happy New year ;)
    I`ve tried everything to get the engine running, but no success! So I ripped out the Adaptronic ecu, harness and Audi coils and sold them. I was not pleased with the Adaptronic at all. It`s very sensitive to voltage drop, it would not start if it dropped slightly under 12 volt. I know that others have had the same issue, but now that problem is gone ;) Since I now need a new Map, I also sold the turbo and bought this one :)
    [​IMG]
    It`a Trippel Bearing 5862 Comp Turbo, hopefully this will change the lag!
    The car is now stored away for the winter, becouse me and my dad are fixing up the garage this winter :)

#146 CF., Jan 7, 2014
    Last edited: May 30, 2015
  7. CF.

CF. Member

Over one year since I last updated this thread, so thought it need a small update, even though nothing has been done on the car the past year:cry:. The main reason I didn't work on the car was I went to school and did not work. Since I`m in no hurry to get the car done, I`ve been waiting for used parts to come up for sale. The main part that I`m missing right now to get it started is the ECU and that`s the most expensive one too. The one that I`m looking into buying is Maxxecu, but its to new to come up on any used sales that I have seen yet. So that one I will probably by new. The garage is almost done, just some minor stuff left to do :thumbs:. The car was stored in a barn while we were working on the garage in 2014/15, but someone pushed it outside right after the last snow melted. And since the engine bay was not covered, the exhaust manifold got rainwater inside it, and rusted badly. So got some work to do right there. Today the car is for the first time ever on the 2 post Wurth lift that I bought used a couple of years back. The plan is to take out the engine and take it apart to check if it got some kind of internal damage that caused it to suddenly die, and it might get some upgrades too :cool:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Ready to be taken out.

[​IMG]
    Got my tools organized.

[​IMG]
    MSD coils.

[​IMG]
    Lightened Gs performance trigger wheel.

[​IMG]
    I`ve made a trolley for my dummy block.

[​IMG]
    We have reconstructed the roof so we could get about 4 meters off clearance and made a spare parts room.

8. J_W97

J_W97 Member

Sick garage man. Can I ask the rough dimensions as looks about the perfect size?

9. CF.

CF. Member

Thanks! It`s about 9mx6.5m.

10. CF.

CF. Member

:wave: another year has past I`m still not done, but now I`m working on it again, but sadly it will be to get it ready for sale. I`m out off work and needs to free up cash :mad:
    The engine is out an I found two faults, the engine is bored out to much resulting in piston slap, the second problem is what caused the engine to stop in 2013 was that the "wedge" that holde the trigger wheel was cracked and by so the trigger moved around. The motor block that I used as a dummy block is now bored out with the right bore specs. It`s also o-ringed, honed and decked. I have painted the block, and finished installing all the pistons and gaped the rings. Next up is to file and mount the piano wire :thumbs:
    Couple off pictures from the build and some from the garage!

[​IMG]
    Finished the working bench with 2.5mm stainless plates.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Got some new tools in place.
    [​IMG]
    Block finished machining.
    [​IMG]
    Painted.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    All cleaned up.
    [​IMG]
    Marks after piston slap.
    [​IMG]
    All six pistons installed.
    [​IMG]
    Where the wedge should have been.
    [​IMG]
    Made a ring gap "jig" that worked better than expected.
    [​IMG]
    Also made a small oil tray to have under my engine stand.

11. driftyste

driftyste Member

Don't sell its amazing

12. dustyjake

dustyjake Member

It's scary to read the old thread and see how many years have gone by during this build. Whether you sell it or not. It is a seriously well built car and you deserve a crisp high five.

13. Rob oneill

Rob oneill New Member

Hi , just wondering what rods you used to weld gearbox , just alloy or alloy magnesium mix ? Cheers rob