Paint Guns: Gravity Vs Siphon

Thread in 'Other Chat' started by Disco, Apr 25, 2016.

1. Disco

Disco Hamburger Hinderer

Hey guys, will be picking up some more bits to hopefully go for a colour change on my S14 at some point over the summer.

I've had a bit of a look online and see that most places say that gravity-fed guns are generally better but I was after some opinions from people who have used both.

Ultimately I'm gonna be painting the whole car but will be starting with smaller bits (skirts, spats etc) to get my eye in as I've never wielded a paint gun in my life.

So yeah, gravity or siphon? Also are there any shite brands to steer clear of and any good ones to keep an eye out for?

Ta

2. r3k1355

r3k1355 Well-Known Member

Don't take this the wrong way, but the brand/type of spray gun are probably the least of your worries.

Getting the prep done properly is the main task, spend most of your efforts here rather than getting a top of the line gun.

3. Disco

Disco Hamburger Hinderer

Absolutely, I just didn't want to end up with a Tesco Blue Stripe special which chucks clumps of paint on my nicely prepped car. I have no clue about the branding so it's not a concern, just a thought.

4. dan_gsxr

dan_gsxr Member

my advise would be one of these

DeVilbiss SLG 1.3mm Spray Gun [SLG-610] | eBay

good starter gun. I would stay away from the suction feed but that's my personal opinion

practice is key and do your research on the paint your using. read a thread the other day where the guy spent weeks on prep only to apply the lacquer without a hardener so completely fucked it and had to start again!

5. muhuha

muhuha Active Member

And make sure it's not too cold if you're spraying at home. My lacquer was a bit cloudy first time round.

Personally i'm using gravity with no issues.

6. Disco

Disco Hamburger Hinderer

Cheers for that dude, appreciated. I've been reading up and will continue to do so, only gonna be an amateur job but would like the best results I can.

I'm not gonna start til it warms up a bit as me and a mate will be using one of those portable garage/gazebo jobs so will be nearly outside. We do have space heaters too which should aid with drying.

This sounds stupid but watching shows on TV and it seems that everyone is using gravity over siphon with good results, (and proper facilities mind you).

7. dan_gsxr

dan_gsxr Member

its all about taking your time at home.

you can get a great finish at home doing it diy. with patience you will more than likely find its better that a bodyshop just churning out the work.

if you going a solid colour then go for a 2k top coat, piss easy to apply and use! but use the right protection gear

8. r3k1355

Yea the chemicals that make up 2K paint are really nasty, you need a proper air-fed mask.

Some people have said they found some company selling disposable masks for 2K paint, but IMO they're probably being fobbed off and risking their health.

9. Disco

Disco Hamburger Hinderer

The car has been resprayed previously by a bodyshop and I can see exactly what you mean, there doesn't appear to have been much care taken. The locks have been sprayed over and the finish is very orange-peely so I think whatever I do, it should be better!

I will be doing a solid colour, got a few in mind but, as the car is Indigo I was thinking going a dark colour again as it won't be a back-to-metal job. Am I right in thinking that 2k is the stuff that does not require a lacquer?

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for that dude, was not something I was aware of. Will make sure to get something appropriate!

10. r3k1355

or use Cellulose based stuff, thats less harmful and is ok to spray with a cheap disposable mask.

11. Mr Bizzle

Mr Bizzle In Safe Hands

You're not a million miles away from me.
    Why don't you do the prep then bring it up to me and i'll blow it over in my ghetto booth. You won't need to worry about buying guns or any of that shite.
    [​IMG]

12. Disco

Disco Hamburger Hinderer

Really? That would be awesome. I'll PM you shortly Bizzle.