The HOLSET Thread

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by dale_b, Nov 23, 2012.

1. matthew_l

matthew_l Member

Can somebody help me pick a turbo.
    I was originally going to be using a GT2871R on an NA-T conversion im currently doing. Hoping for 280hp on stock internals, I have a spare engine which i will be forging with the end goal of 350hp+.

Car will be used for drifting. Grassroots stuff, drift days etc
    Engine is a 1GFE, 2.0 6 cylinder, Lexus IS200 engine. pretty weak and only rev to 6200
    The manifold im using is a T3 Twinscroll manifold off a 2JZGTE.

I would like some info on both the HX27 (Ill be using a T3-T2 adaptor) and possibly the next turbo up from that I think is a HX30? (I could be wrong)

I've read this thread every time there has been an update, never imagined I would be in the situation to be asking for advice.

Thanks
    Matt

#1221 matthew_l, May 4, 2016
    Last edited: May 5, 2016
  2. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

If you had a GT2871 already, I'd just use it tbf. Though seems a little bit of a waste of a twin scroll manifold.

HX27 is only good to about 300-320bhp, and HX30 only good for, well, over 350 but under 400.

Can get twin scroll T3 HX30s, though often they have a fairly large turbine housing, 12cm I think.

3. Weasel155

Weasel155 New Member

You could use a HE221W, good to around ~380hp and should spool fast so 6200rpm rev limit wouldn't be a problem.

4. BenRice

BenRice Well-Known Member

Came across an interesting thing yesterday, would appreciate if this wasn't shared around.

A friend had an RB25 turbo professionally recored using genuine Holset internals. The idea with the recore is to get a fresh, bolt-on turbo that doesn't shit itself at 1bar. He wasn't chasing a power figure, just wanted to run 1 bar without issues as easily as possible. I know he could run more boost, but the risk of driveline failures goes up (only using RB20 box), as does tyre wear and track time > power figures.

Wheel sizes as follows:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It seemed too big of a wheel for the housing size for my mind (AR on S1 RB25 turbos i think are 0.5, the OP6 NEO turbine housing is a little larger at 0.67, or so the internet tells me) and thought it'd suffer from excessive backpressure, causing boost control issues at the low boost. Looks like I was right

[​IMG]

Engine is an S1 RB25 with standard exhaust manifold, custom 3" dump pipe into 3" exhaust. The dump pipe is as large as he can get on the standard flange.

He's resigned to needing an external wastegate now which he's annoyed at as it means a bunch more custom work and cost. There is the option of machining the wastegate hole but unknown if this will help.

Could this have been avoided with using the OP6 turbine housing or has the rebuilder bitten off more than he could chew with the turbine wheel?

5. Patrickkilcoyn

Patrickkilcoyn New Member

I take it there's nothing you can really do on an inline 5 to decrease lag besides just choosing the best possible sized turbo you can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. BenRice

BenRice Well-Known Member

Port match the exhaust manifold to the head and to the turbine housing, turbo blanket, biggest dump pipe you can physically fit (along with exhaust), machine turbine housing and weld on larger v-band

PS - i have finally finished reading this entire thread and know what i want to do. I think Stav has repeated himself a solid 20-30 times, he must have the patience of a goddamn saint

7. Wrxbeano

Wrxbeano New Member

Got my hy35 10cm up and running on car took out to run on wastegate presure. And seams a bit laggy. I've also checked shaft play and got a fair bit of up and down movement.
    I just had it back from compressor raceing after it was passing oil down exhaust houseing.
    I do everything they say to try and cure 21mm drain- an4 inlet With gauge on turbo to c pressure and all within holset limits.

They replace turbine shaft as said machineing wasn't quite right but after speaking to them about shaft play they saying I got a oiling issue and that why it was faulty the first time. Even who they said machineing ( in writing on emails)

How much play is allowable. And who do you recommend for rebuild?

Also where can I get a 9cm houseing from

[​IMG]

8. EP82JM

EP82JM Member

Anyone have a link to somewhere I can buy a bolt on adaptor to run a vband exhaust on a hx35? Similar to below

[​IMG]

9. jumpbike

jumpbike Member

The trick isn't finding the adaptor, it's finding a vband flange the right size to bolt to it, they're usually some weird imperial Size.
    I just made a little piece up to block off the internal gate path and had it welded in so it was a smooth outlet all the way then had a 3" vband flange welded straight to the housing where the bolt holes are, leaving the internal gate bit exposed cause cause turbulence and affect spool

10. victim

victim Bimmer Skidder

Do HX35's run a different sized 5 bolt flange to other T3's then? I've got a 5 bolt to V band adaptor on my old T3/T4 To4e replica and wondered if that would bolt straight up???

11. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

Totally different.

The 5 bolt flange you mean is the old T3 5 bolt you get a lot of old Garretts and loads of Chinese turbos running.

The only thing Holsets have in common with them is a T3 inlet flange.

12. victim

victim Bimmer Skidder

What do people do about the boost pipe v band? Can you get them? Are they a Holset specific size again like everything else?
    [​IMG]

13. Drifttrader

Drifttrader Member

14. Drifttrader

Drifttrader Member

15. sheedy126

sheedy126 New Member

just got my hx52 fitted. man what a monster, pulls hard too!
    [​IMG]

16. bigdave z20

bigdave z20 Member

Class man, NA-T 2JZ?

17. sheedy126

sheedy126 New Member

thanks. close, its the infamous 7mgte
    still a 3Liter I6 like the 2jz though

18. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

AWESOME! Love that. HX52s are so under-rated. As they're massive people are scared they won't spool, but they sure as shit do.

100% legit, that's who probably 90% of the Holset turbos seen on cars in the UK come from to be fair. I've known Chris and co for donkeys, basically they work by getting hold of oddball stuff through contacts that's been sitting round in storage or from surplus stuff from tests, and so on, so gets them cheap and can sell them cheap. It's all 1s and 2s found in this way rather than bulk amounts, hence not always having stock of certain turbos.
    Them Turbonetics he had (has? I dunno), he told me they came from a company who was asked to build some speedboats then stitched up and left with 10x turbos and no use for em, but he knows a good turbo for tuning when he sees one, so snapped em up.

Occasionally he will have the odd box fresh never been in storage mega spec turbo, and lo n behold it's £600+ = He's not a charity lol.

Small ones, used ones, re-con ones, etc. It's not as if they're selling brand new GTXs etc etc. Good for the money by looks of it, but nothing that rings alarm bells to me.

#1238 Stavros, May 31, 2016
    Last edited: May 31, 2016
  19. boXXer

boXXer Member

Hello chaps. Has anyone in this thread had any luck using the internal gate on the holsets? i have a HX35 on a cosworth yb manifold which is twin scroll, and just cant get the boost down. even with a 5psi spring in the actuator it still hits 40psi+. I had a pocket made for the wastegate penny to fully open so i know its not a problem with that. I have been reading that as the wastegate only bleeds off one port in the twin scroll, the other side just keeps on spinning the turbine. I dont really want to go ext gate as its hassle and means expensive mods for my manifold.

I have been reading about the mod where people drill past the first hole and into the second scroll on the turbo, but i guess this would make it a single scroll setup then and pointless for what i want.

any views?

20. Squire

Squire New Member

Hi lad's,

I bought this turbo under the impression it was a Holset HX35 but I'm not too sure! :wack:

Anyone able to advise???

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG]