1JZ Starting Issues

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by RyanH, May 18, 2016.

1. RyanH

RyanH Lacks skills

Hi guys,

Having issues with my 1JZ engine. It was all working fine but then my nismo vent started letting water pool in the cam cover causing the plugs to corrode.

Had a slight misfire so I cleaned the plugs up with a wire brush and everything seemed ok again.

A few weeks later it misfired pretty badly (flashed the engine light) but once it warmed up it was fine.

I drove it again to get tyres changed and it was running a bit rough until it warmed up. I went to start it 2 days later and now it won't start at all!

I brushed the plugs again so they have good contact with the coilpacks but it still wouldnt start. I cranked it over for 30 seconds or so and then took the 1st cylinder plug out again but it was bone dry - I was under the impression it should be wet from the fuel?

I earthed the plug to the engine hook (tested and it buzzed to the battery negative terminal so I'm assuming its a decent earth point) but it isnt sparking at all.

I'm going to change the plugs but I thought it was odd that it doesnt seem to be getting fuel either!

I've changed the crank sensor but that hasn't fixed it.

Has anyone got any other suggestions assuming new plugs wont fix it either?

Any advice appreciated!!

2. Andy318ti

Andy318ti Active Member

Have you checked the coil connectors for corrosion/broken wires?

Could also be water ingress into the coils, definitely start with new plugs and inspecting the connections.

3. Swampy442

Swampy442 Active Member

Are you getting 12v at the coils? Could be the ignitor pack

4. mint

mint touch my fruit

It could be heaps of things, Had it thrown you a code? Usually first place to check since you said the lights popped on.

JZ's dont like Nismo stuff. :p

5. markII

markII Member

If the battery is running low it won't fire as it won't send the fuel check the battery as it may have lost some volts from trying to start her.

6. MaccyD

MaccyD Active Member

If youre not getting spark check everything in the ignition circuit.

Plugs dont tend to fail, but youve checked and found no spark.

Next thing is coils, 1J coils are notorious for having cracks in and seeing as you said water got in there and the issue got worse over time, it would imply corrosion might have had a part to play.

Once youre satisfied with the coils move on to the coil plugs, are they corroded too? Getting a signal down them?

and so on

7. RyanH

RyanH Lacks skills

Tell me about it! Its in my S15 and I think the toyota spirit has haunted me!

Thanks for the advice guys, I'll have a go at it on sunday!

I tried doing the diagnostics thing but i couldn't get the light to come on! I'm assuming you just connect the two pins and then turn the ignition on?