'96 2jz ford ranger pick up

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by jonnydiscopants, May 22, 2016.

1. jonnydiscopants

jonnydiscopants Me lovr you looong time

Ok so ive always wanted a drift car, watched all the vids, dicked about a bit in my E60

[​IMG]

But ultimately wanted to build something i could call my own that was a lot different to the normal platforms and actually learn some skills in rather than just flop about a bit lookin less than silky behind the wheel lol

So i got donated, for free, a short wheelbase single cab 2wd Ford Ranger pickup, import, done 32k miles, originally lived at LAX airport so is completely rust free and pretty much like new underneith!!!!

[​IMG]

Originally a 140bhp v6 petrol auto, but always had a soft spot for the 2jz sound so purchased a low mileage n/a lump, rebuilt the head with GTE headgasket and arp's ready for some boost. Looking for a safe 4-500bhp out of it with a homemade mani feeding a 19cm HX40 holset.

Chassis wise the whole rear axle is being replaced with a complete bmw subframe setup and running gear, along with a bmw box, aiming to have it in the weeds as much as suspension mods will allow, but ultimately its just gunna be a truck to have fun in and shred some tyres rather than a balls to the wall comp spec car.

This is how its currently sat.......

[​IMG]

V6 engine out, rear bed off and ready for the rear axle assembly to be stripped off it. If i can get it to look half as sweet as the ETS hilux then i'll be a happy chappy!!!!!

[​IMG]

I'll update when there decent progress being made haha

#1 jonnydiscopants, May 22, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2016
  2. Gogzy

Gogzy Active Member

always love seeing a skid truck, make it cool

3. Justice2.3T

Justice2.3T New Member

Hey, I'm a big Ranger nut as well. Currently have a slammed 94 dropped 6"and 9" on 15x10" awaiting my Folvo engine. Just wanted to point out what you have is a 98 Ranger, it has the independent front suspension instead of the stupid Twin I beam suspension my 94 and 96 have. Just looking out so you don't end up ordering any wrong parts due to confusion!

4. Justice2.3T

Justice2.3T New Member

Oh and if you're handy with a welder the S13 rear IRS subframe is VERY close to the frame dimensions and could be made to fit if you don't mind fabbing mounts and strut hats.

5. LOKISY

LOKISY Member

Wanna see this finished!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

6. jonnydiscopants

Arrr thanks for the heads up man! Indeed it does have double wishbone setup correct!!!!
    Im running a full BMW E90 rear subframe setup, drivetrain etc mated upto a 5 speed E39 530D gearbox, so if anything does break its easy to replace. Complete subframe with brakes prop etc showed up today so start fitting that this weekend.
    Planning on major chsssis mods so that i can drop the body as well as lower it so its aggresive stance wise but without fubar'ing all the suspension geo up

#6 jonnydiscopants, Jun 2, 2016
  7. Justice2.3T

Justice2.3T New Member

No problem just looking out! I like the build and I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out. I think it's going to be a beast!

8. jonnydiscopants

Progress

All the old leaf spring and axle been removed, complete E90 rear subframe setup slid into place, going to be a piece of piss to mount, making and welding those on today, then its time to make some suspension turrets to accomdate the tops of the coilovers. Had some old Mk1 golf rear coilovers kicking around and they are about perfect length, so a change of springrates should be all it needs.....so far so good lol
    [​IMG]

9. Drifttrader

Drifttrader Member

I just shot my load. Amazing... BRB need to wipe the screen...

OK back...

Can you sell this to me when you finish it please

10. jonnydiscopants

Hahaha if i ever get it finished man!!! Looooong way to go yet!!! Thanks though bro appreciate the love :)

Thats the rear subframe mounts all fabricated and welded up, the fronts are made too but its hot as shit today and i need a beer or 4. Can move onto boxing the rest of the chassis in now for rigidity and fabricate the top pickup points for the coilovers. Current ride height has dropped it 4 inches having the new subframe arrangement with big scope to take it even lower, which is hopefully the plan!!!!

[​IMG]

#10 jonnydiscopants, Jun 5, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2016
  11. Drifttrader

Drifttrader Member

When you said e90 you're talking about the BMW 4 door 3 series right?

What made you go for that?

12. jonnydiscopants

Yeah E90 335i setup......the £180 for the whole lot made me choose it hahaha. Was a bargain :)

13. jonnydiscopants

Update:

Got the rear setup complete with top mounts etc, cut the bed to clear ghe strut tops and dropped it back on and the ride height sucked.....a good 3-4inch arch gap....so drastic measures were called for, so the frame has been cut and dropped 4 inches where the cab mounts are, then reinforced with 6mm plates all round and the rear bed floor being completely removed to match up with the cab, then the bed will be put back in at the right height :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Had to chop and drop crossmember at the front and drop the steering rack too for sump clearence now that the engine will sit higher in the bay. Collect gearbox this week so block and transmission should be somewhere near where they need to sit by the end of the week

#13 jonnydiscopants, Jun 28, 2016
  14. xThe_Mechx

xThe_Mechx New Member

yo man, i need an update on the swap