NoelB's strawberry face 180sx build

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by NoelB, May 9, 2014.

1. NoelB

NoelB Member

So starting to feel a lot like this lately

[​IMG]

So said fuck it and went and bought a load of nice bits to keep interest up.

Larger throttle body
    [​IMG]

Picked up a baffled sump off Seamus McCooey

[​IMG]

Also the first of the engine rebuild parts came. Brian Crower Springs as retainers.

[​IMG]

Then got onto Brian from KaberPerformance. Went and met him and walked away with rear toe, traction and camber arms and front tension. These seem amazing quality and have heard nothing but good things about them. He also filled me in on some stuff he's working on so keep an eye on them for some amazing parts soon.

[​IMG]

Ya have ta throw on stickers too so picked up some more (more arriving not in picture) to add to the collection. Sure who doesn't love stickers!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Engine awaiting to be stripped in the home of sr's over with Petko.
    [​IMG]

Threw a bit of paint onto the PartShop Max knuckles
    [​IMG]

Just waiting now to send the hea off to Robbie in Tdp to try and drop the compression and machine out the mush areas. Should have more updates next week.

#21 NoelB, May 13, 2015
    Last edited: May 13, 2015
  2. NoelB

NoelB Member

More shizzle for my carizzle

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also picked up these at a bit of a steal. Genuine bomex if I'm not mistaken. Pic taken from car they were on.
    [​IMG]

Have the car back now, looking awesome and with the help of Petko and Gavin (d-turbo-lad) we're making good progress. Hopefully no hiccups to come.

[​IMG]

3. NoelB

NoelB Member

so was trying to keep the colour a secret, not because its something mad but just because I like surprises! But now I'm not arsed, having a slump with the car and hopefully hearing yer comments will make my inspiration lift again. Went with r32 skyline grey, knew I wanted some shade of grey and after seeing this colour in the flesh a few times I knew it was the shade for the car and also wanted to keep the colour something Nissan. Like I said, I hadnt planned on showing the colour so the pics arent great and the wheels are all wrong aswell as missing bumpers but ye will get the general jist.

On the lift getting the cage in and kaber performance arms fitted.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Jspeed wing braces fitted
    [​IMG]

After an overly long wait from Robbie in tdp and after excuse after excuse I finally got my head back with the mush areas machined out. Then went to engine re in Castlebar to get the springs and retainers fitted.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Picked up a nice little daily for myself. Needed noise back in my life after I sold the mivec. Just a dc1 but may get a b16 when the 180sx is finished
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also got some replica takata harness's for it. Seem good quality. And for what I'll be using them for reps will do the finest. Think the black will tie in with the interior better than the green ones.
    [​IMG]

When stripping the engine we spotted some wear on the oil pump gears so waiting now for a rebuild kit. That should be the main buys for the engine out of the way then.

Thats all for now. Hopefull bigger and better updates soon.

#23 NoelB, Aug 29, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2015
  4. NoelB

NoelB Member

Sent the front wheels off for polishing. Should be down to me Monday hopefully

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. NoelB

NoelB Member

We got stuck into the engine build Thursday night. Engine should be sittin in the bay by tonight.

Arp head bolts
    [​IMG]

Oil pump rebuild kit
    [​IMG]

Cosworth bearings in
    [​IMG]

New crank seal

[​IMG]

Also picked up these rack spacers off James Spillane. Seem to be a really tidy. It's kit and a simple modification.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After sand blasting, there was a few patches that needed a shot of weld so, being a useless welder, I spent last night watching a mate make a right tidy job of it all

[​IMG]

6. NoelB

NoelB Member

So the underneath is all treated now. Nice and fresh looking now.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Engine back together. Also picked up a nice little heat shield off Petko. The fucker always has something there to make you spend money lol
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Threw on the wheels just to see how they will look. Back will need a 20mm spacer to have it sitting right. Fronts should be perfect.
    [​IMG]

Decided the last day not to push the car to be at Japfest/Idc5, it would just be too rushed and things not done right. There is a lot of wiring to be done yet. So gona buy a crate of heiniken for the weekend and wait for Auto Hero's in October.

7. NoelB

NoelB Member

Progress is slow between cold evenings and starting a new job. But there's no panic and things are being done right and for the long term. Picked up a brand new Apexi multi checker off Gavin (D-turbo-lad). Aluminium polished pulleys and larger throttle body installed.
    [​IMG]

Picked up a Broadway mirror off Mcg also.
    [​IMG][/URL

Problem at the minute with turning the engine over. Possibly the adapter plate for the Rb box jamming against the flywheel. Have to strip all the prop and gearbox now to investigate more. Will have it running by the end of this week.

8. NoelB

NoelB Member

So we've gone from this....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

To this....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Took five years but was so worth it. Lots more to finish it off. Interior, mapping and small bits and modified front subframe. Huge thanks to Petko (pepstrex) for all his hard work and knowledge. For anyone down the country this man is worth travelling the distance for the work he puts into things! More pics here NoelB's Crew OneSeven 180sx (almost) finished pics

Few more randoms.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Added neons because I secretly want to be Dominic Toretto
    [​IMG]

Also if ye could take a minute to like our page, Crew OneSeven, on facebook. We try to update everyday with the finest jap metal from Japan and Ireland along with our own builds.
    [​IMG]

9. NoelB

NoelB Member

So been way too long since I've updated this. Still working on it but finishing line is in sight. Should be attempting an nct within the next week or so. Few little issues to sort in the meantime but nothing major.

Got some side skirt extensions off Japstyle.org. Adam is dead on to deal with and these are great quality with a carbon fibre effect.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

To match I'm currently waiting on these genuine origin carbon fibre front under canards to land from Japan. Sourced through Jesse Streeter, this is the first time I've dealt with him and I hope to deal with him again. So helpful.
    [​IMG]

Have Clubloose Ireland booked for their next day out on June 6th. So strap on and out through the back bumper for access
    [​IMG]

Also picked up these "drift spares" for Clubloose. Really good sizes. Were only over the road and always wanted a set of Kreis. One of my all time favourite wheels
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Got some more Crew OneSeven stickers made up. Have in a variety of colours and will be for sale soon enough if anyone is interested and if ye haven't done so already give our Facebook page a like.
    https://m.facebook.com/crewoneseven/
    [​IMG]

Tonight we got the rear interior finished, with speakers, sub and amp wired up, alone with a kill switch and the battery box in place. Battery box lid is to be flocked yet. Also got the neons all finished up too.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That's it for now, should hopefully have more during the week.

10. NoelB

NoelB Member

Few more pics of the neons because I love cheese. Few more to go on in the interior.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The under canards came today as well from Jesse Streeter. Direct from Origin Japan finished in the finest of genuine carbon fibre.
    Jesse is a gent to deal with and will definitely be getting more bits off him in the future. Only threw them up to test fit. Will fix on after the Nct which is booked in for Friday night.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And then came a moment I've been waiting for, for a long time. Got to bring it for petrol. The longest I've driven the car since August 2014. Car feels good, forgot how solid it was on the road, just get some fine tuning done on the alignment and it should be a sweet little car to handle.
    [​IMG]

More to come during the week

11. NoelB

NoelB Member

So, went to the Nct centre last night and they sent me home to raise it up. Got a refund so no harm done which I thought was sound. Booked in again for Wednesday evening.

Now comes, for what some may seem, the most stupid update ever. If ye don't already know I love Jdm/drift stickers. Been collecting for almost four years gathering ones I like here and there with the aim of putting them on the car when it's finished. Had a free hour this morning so banged a few on the cage. Will be putting more on after Nct. May not be to everyone's taste but that's the joys of stickers, if I get sick of them I can just take hem off. Also put on my "Bride" armrest cover.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Interior is getting close!!

12. [jay]

[jay] Member

Cage looks good if you ask me, makes a change from filling a window with stickers.
    It's the first strawberry face I've seen for a while that works, car is cool as fuck.

13. NoelB

NoelB Member

I might be doing the windows too

Cheers Jay. Really am over the moon with how it looks. I don't think it would half as well in any other colour.

14. NoelB

NoelB Member

Moooooo stickas. I promise that's it now
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Took a spin down to Stiv to get my mapped tweeked after the rebuild. Made 381bhp at 1.3bar of boost. Torque figures are pretty good too. Love how the car drives now and would recommend Stiv to anyone looking to get mapping done. Super sound guy and his advice and knowledge is second to none.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Day after that I got Nct, so straight after that I got the car back to looking right. Dropped it, wheels spaced back out and the de-cat put back in. Started to put the interior together then as well. Love the new office! Bride LowMax drivers seat, black Dc2 recaro passenger seat, "Takata" harness's, snap off boss, checkered mats.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Loving the car at the minute. Great to be back driving it. Will take a week or two to get back in the hang of sliding it but dieing to try it again!!

Now just some randoms. Had the car at a show and shine I organise for charity and also down to Mondello for Auto Heroes. Some pics from the weekend. (Rights of photos belong to photographers only)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. gostt

gostt Member

Mate your car is so awesome, such a great source of inspiration for me. And thanks for fitting some neon lights, I'm going to do it soon, glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks it still cool.

16. NoelB

NoelB Member

Wow thanks man. Great to think that a build that was inspired by so many is inspiring others. I always secretly loved them I'm delighted they're making a slight comeback

17. gostt

gostt Member

Yeah, I think everyone can be someone else inspiration! And yeah, I love them too, I like to see people who don't care what people can think. And a drift car with neon is cool. It looks like it slowly come back on the actual car scene

18. NoelB

NoelB Member

Ya I build this car for the way I wanted from an image I have had in my head for 4 years now!