HELP!!!! Mx5 1.6 or 1.8 ???

Thread in 'Drifting Chat / Pictures / Videos' started by Joe Gersh, Jul 22, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Joe Gersh

Joe Gersh New Member

Hi guys,

I've tried searching the forum for a similar topic but after searching back to 2008 I cant find anything but, apologies if im repeating a popular question lol

I've solid caught the drift bug after my mates letting manji the hell out their S14 and E36 and now im looking to sell up my Honda and move on to a drift car, as said by millions of others before, im going for an MX5 as a car to learn the art in.

however I have a few questions:

• main one is - do I go for the 1.6 or the 1.8?? whats best for drifting??
    • import or UKDM ?? im thinking uk spec simply for insurance and parts availability!
    • are the standard LSD's any good or is it better to just get an open and buzz it up with a welder??
    • do they need any other mods than just coilovers and a bucket for skids??

but anyway, im mad looking forward to owning one, cant wait to jump in my own skidcar, attempt some kidneys or doughnuts and end up in a bush :D:D

thanks guys!!

#1 Joe Gersh, Jul 22, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2016
  2. Gooly

Gooly Member

theres three engines, the early / jdm 1.6 which is 115bhp, the 1.8 which is 130bhp and the late 1.6 which is 90bhp. Id recommend the early / jdm 1.6. Any pre-94 uk car will have it and all 1.6 eunos roadsters will have it too. Eunos comes with a VLSD, theyre shit. UK 1.6s have open diffs, some 1.8s have torsens which are decent. Welders work well and are what id go for on a 1.6 as torsens are expensive and have a lower diff ratio. You want decent coilovers, bucket seat and then eventually get some rack spacers, a roll bar and eventually some mintfab hubs or similar. A decent 1,6 MX5 on HSDs or AVOs driven well will be one of the most fun skid cars youl ever own. 90% of an ae86 for 10% of the cash

3. Joe Gersh

Joe Gersh New Member

ahh thanks man, that's the exact run down of info on engines I needed !! think the early 1.6 sounds good so i'll stick to a pre-94 uk car especially as they come with an open diff, so I can just get it welded up!

I think coilovers is where the initial big money mod, HSD's seem good, got some good reviews on here!

so pre-94 1.6, weld the diff, coilovers, buy a seat...do skids, get some practise in, then look at more advanced mods such as the mintfabs etc, then do more skids!!

love it! thanks man!! :D :D