IS200 street sled

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by bennyboi, Aug 15, 2016.

Tags:
  1. bennyboi

bennyboi Member

After a fair hiatus I'm back in something capable of a skid.

I've had a couple of mx5's & a Volvo 340 but been boring for over a year now.

I did intend on getting a daily & a skid car but realistically I wouldnt get to drive the skid car much so this way I get to skid when the feeling takes me.

I've always been a huge fan of the way these look, i needed a 4 door that wasn't a bimmer so the natural choice on my budget was an IS200.

Found a decent example in sport trim so factory Torsen LSD, tints & spunky grill.
    It's fucking gutless but it makes a nice sound & it's a decent car all in all.

[​IMG]

I'm pleasantly surprised at how well it slides in factory fettle, needs commitment and revs but it's very controllable. I was thinking I'd flog the diff & get a welded open one but this one seems to lock well but a bit of proper track time will be the real test.

The chap I brought brought the car from fab's supercharger cradles to the same spec as the TTE ones and he said he'd to me one at cost and seeing how ridiculously cheap you can put a blower on these I will ultimately be doing that. Put about 6psi though her which should be good for 200 brake. I'd also be sticking some coilovers, JDM wheels & a lip on but that's down the line.

For now I've got some used Tenzo R -50mm springs to go on and some general stuff like a good service and some tidying up. I've also got some 16x7 OZ F1's for skids.

[​IMG]

Buffed the headlights, takes years of a car.

[​IMG]

I like these wheels & in black with spacers & a smaller walled tyre they may become the main wheel once I've got coils on, 16's would be to small with just a 50mm drop,

So I'll be getting a handle on her and slowly build up the parts I need to get the blower on.

#1 bennyboi, Aug 15, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2016
  2. TheHouse

TheHouse Member

Nice one man, good to see more of these being used.

I wouldnt bother with the LSD, as soon as they get more than 2 minutes of abuse they start to open, I'd just flog it and get a welded auto diff, as the autos are a better ratio (4.1 vs 3.9)

3. bennyboi

bennyboi Member

i think they will get more popular if e36 prices rise.

Really, I've only hit up a few roundabouts and doughnuts. Not had a days abuse yet. But its help up so far, Its not really mechanically possible for a torsen diff to "open up" like VLSD's do.
    Tbh people pay good money for the diff so I'd be quids in and get a better diff.

#3 bennyboi, Aug 16, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2016