The HOLSET Thread

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by dale_b, Nov 23, 2012.

1. sandman1111

sandman1111 New Member

Those things are so cheap, why don´t you try both? You can buy different housings. The 11cm is probably harder to find. I have also seen 13cm. There isn´t enough info to tell you what is good for you. Some Holset turbines, housings "breathe" incredibly well, some not so well. You have to test if you have backpressure problems.

2. Atro

Atro New Member

Finally I get my car mapped. They started yesterday, engine is a forged rb20, custom exhaust manifold, 4" to 3,5" downpipe and exhaust, stock head and cams. I use the compressor racing rs341, the shop wrote me its horrible, laggy af, nothing under 5700. 102 octane fuel. Any ideas? Is this turbo that bad?

The engine is fine, 12 bar compression, no boost leaks, no exhaust leaks.

Gesendet von meinem D5503 mit Tapatalk

3. BenRice

BenRice Well-Known Member

What kind of manifold? Stav had an almost identical setup (apart from the exhaust - his was 4" to the rear subframe) and had positive boost by 3000 with exhaust leaks

Something doesn't sound right. Have you used these tuners before / do you trust their work?

4. oilyT

oilyT New Member

Cheer's , i do have a 11cm housing here already . will have to keep a eye out for a 13 or 16 cm housings.:)

5. RX-line

RX-line New Member

Hi Atro, Interesting post. I run the He341 (HY35) on my RB20, I see boost starting to build around 3000rpm in 3rd/4th/5th but thats like 2lbs, she's slow to build boost up until around 15psi @4600rpm or so and then snaps to 20psi around 5000rpm. Boost really doesn't help below 3500rpms on an RB20 anyway.

Stav's info interests me as it is better than my own even with a slightly smaller turbo HY35 vs RS341W (Hy35/Hx35). You should see what your tuner's mean by "laggy AF".

#1305 RX-line, Sep 22, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2016
  6. Markfpc

Markfpc Member

I have a compressor racing rs341 on my 1jz std internals, big exhaust, 40mm hypergate, fpr and 17-18psi boost etc makes 452bhp and 465ftlb and I reach full boost by 3750rpm even the tuner was impressed with how the turbo performed, I guess either there's a issue with your set up or the tuner.

What waste gate are you using?? Do you have a screamer pipe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. sandman1111

sandman1111 New Member

Does anyone have access to Holset part numbers, and can help me with some info?

Would like to know part number of the 54/77 or maybe it is 78 mm compressor wheel. Also interested in the CHRA part number, that is comp - 54/77 Turbine - 60/70.

#1307 sandman1111, Sep 24, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2016
  8. BenRice

This. If it's creeping open or leaking some other way then that will be it

But if your tuners worth his weight in banana skins he should have look at that rather than say "it's crap"

9. RX-line

RX-line New Member

Definitely worth looking into, A lot of people do not realize that the spring in a wastegate is linear. So say you have a tial f38 with a 14.7psi spring, the point at which it starts to open and bleed exhaust gas would typically be around 9-11psi which results in a decreased spool. Electronic boost controllers with a "gain" setting really come into their own with this feature alone as you are able to set the point at which the wastegate opens over the spring rate. The rate of increase on spool is dependent on the setup, seems to work best on old internally gated setups. Still the GFB G force 2 has increased the spool up on my Hy35/tial f38 setup by a bit.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  10. samc

samc Member

what are you guys running for oil returns?

11. RX-line

RX-line New Member

What do you mean? 1/2" Pipe/Hose combination. Pretty simple.

12. Markfpc

Markfpc Member

19+mm internal diameter oil return is what's recommended for holsets/rs341

13. speedykonzales

Question about oil feed side banjo bolt. It has a very little hole, around 4 mm. Is that enough for a HX35? It was for T28 before. Maybe it's too small?

#1313 speedykonzales, Oct 5, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2016
  14. samc

samc Member

That would be so simple but as below, I see loads of people saying 19mm but can I hell find anything that size that'll fit, 3/4 hydraulic fittings go down to about 14mm and anything bigger I wouldn't get between the core and the compressor housing lol

15. Markfpc

Markfpc Member

Use a steel hard pipe 21mm od to get it nearer to the sump then use the flexible hose to then join it to the fitting on the sump.

I Fab'd a oil return from 21mm od tube but you can buy them with a 4" tube coming of the flange I think?

16. RX-line

RX-line New Member

Yeah maybe it was bigger than 1/2" but I used the RB20 flanged piece with 4"L 1/2" or 3/4" ID tube and tig welded some more length onto it. Then used hose to fit to the original drain hole on the block. Depending on the manifold design it could make routing it tricky but should not be a hard process by any means. For my oil feed, I used some hydraulic line with banjo ends. the ID of the oil grove is not huge, but it does not need a large volume of oil from what I recall.

17. wwc_gang

wwc_gang Member

need some help with a turbo :) i have fully build forged sr20det engine mods are:
    je 86.5mm pistons
    bc conrods
    lightened knife edged crankshaft
    tomei 1.2mm head gasket
    tomei solid lifters
    bc 264 cams
    tomei rocker arm stoppers
    bc titanium retainers
    bc Valve Spring Set
    bc ADJUSTABLE CAM GEARS
    arp head bolts
    arp studs
    ACL Race Main Rod Thrust Bearing
    driftworks light weight flywheel
    vag coil packs with ngk irdium BR8EIX spark plugs
    tial 38mm external wastegate
    custom equal length manifold with t3
    and will be running on vems ecu.
    850cc injectors

and will be running with methanol/water injection kit.

so my question is whats the bast turbo for it to hit 450bhp ???

at the moment i have gt2871 garret turbo.but was thinking to upgrade for holset super HX35, 8CM housing.i will be using car for drifting so need to hit full boost on low rpm. any one have fited this turbo on sr20det?

#1317 wwc_gang, Oct 7, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2016
  18. RX-line

RX-line New Member

I don't have any experience with the HX or anything outside of Hy35 for that matter. However the Hy35 (He341) is a bit laggy for RB20 / Sr20's but with a built engine I think it's a perfect turbo for a 450bhp goal. It won't build a crazy amount under 3500rpm , but it does have a very steady boost curve from 2500rpm up and staying within a boost threshold should be very easy in mid to high rpm.

19. BenRice

For anyone interested, Turbo Lab America have started offering a single scroll, T3 0.82 A/R turbine housing with no wastegate port and a v-band outlet (comes with matching, interlocking v-band for exhaust) for the HX35

Good for people with aftermarket single scroll manifolds with external wastegates.

20. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

Not been on here for ages, so missed this.

It's safe to say something is VERY wrong lol.

That's the exact setup I had on my RB20, and I had some boost by under 3k, full boost by 4k. About as good as it gets for a single scroll 600bhp turbo on a 2ltr.

How the fuck you got nothing under 5.7k is beyond me, but you've got something massively wrong, and your tuner not being able to tell you what tells me I'd not be using them as a tuner, esp as being THAT bad it's gotta be totally obvious what's wrong.