Toyota Soarer power steering troubles

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by 1N5_N15, Apr 13, 2015.

1. 1N5_N15

1N5_N15 Member

Hey guys anybody else driving a jzz30 shape soarer had trouble with the power steering?

I have two a jzz30 track car and a jzz31 daily

The track cars p/s didn't work and was low on fluid when i got it and when i topped it up it worked a little bit at idle and seemed to be a bit better again when driving but after a couple laps at the track it had given up altogether

The dailies system worked flawlessly til we took it out to a concrete pad at a farm and swung a few donuts and then it wouldn't work at idle but would with some revs on and then gave up altogether
    It spewed fluid everywhere so i refilled and it was back to not working at idle and has since lost the fluid again.

I can't see any obvious leaks on either car i'm of the impression the daily must have developed a leak though

One has reservoir on the pump and one has remote reservoir

Anybody experienced the same issues??

2. Jack_Sol

Jack_Sol New Member

Did you manage to solve this issue?

I'm in exactly the same situation were I did a few donuts and something must have gone pop because there was power steering fluid all over the engine bay. Topped up the reservoir to see if I could find the cause but come up short...

3. eurospec

eurospec Member

Common problem it seems. I would try and get a pump rebuild kit from Toyota, or try pick up a secondhand pump, GS300 ones fit 1JZ cars. If you are loosing fluid but see no leaks you're probably boiling it over with quick steering inputs, just don't top it up again and it shouldn't boil over again.
    The steering is ECU controlled to stiffen the steering at higher speeds, think the valves are prone to messing up.

4. jon07043278

jon07043278 Well-Known Member

Pretty much the only weak link on the 1JZ. The power steering pumps do go and make a hell of a whining noise on their way out.

5. Pauly-C

Pauly-C Member

There's a vac line that goes to the pas pump , try fiddling with that, the bit that it comes off can Ben deleted. if that don't work don't waste your money on a recon jz pump , purchase a brand new 350z pump from Conceptua then purchase the mounts off Steven Donnelly, then say bye to all of your pas troubles.