Stateside RB e36

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by BrandonRoche, Aug 11, 2015.

1. BrandonRoche

BrandonRoche Member

Reassembled the suspension/subframe and ran my headlight wiring up my fender rail (much cleaner, went through the stock hood cable hole but had to bore it out to fit the connectors), but had class so I didn't have time to put the engine in, but hopefully I can do that later today. The red piece you see leaning against the car outside is the color I want to paint the car, feel free to offer opinions on it I'm open to change, just have 2 gallons of it so it's free haha. Once the engine is in I will be working to finish up the cabin and paint that then onto the trunk. Hopefully get all that done before Halloween.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The fluorescent light makes it look really light, but it's much closer to the picture of it outside.

[​IMG]

Also, the pictures don't really show the flake, so here is a close up, it's very noticeable in person though

[​IMG]

#101 BrandonRoche, Oct 12, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2016
  2. BrandonRoche

BrandonRoche Member

Engine is in! And without scratching anything somehow haha. I started reassembly but didn't finish it all, I still have a lot of different little things to do before it's 100% assembled, but the wiring will be tucked behind the engine into the firewall where you can't see it. Also the oil cooler lines are being shortened so they don't wrap around anymore. That's pretty much all you'll see though, everything else is pretty much in haha. I'm happy with it so far.

[​IMG]

Once it's all done, it's on to pulling the inside apart and finishing all of that!

3. BrandonRoche

BrandonRoche Member

All in and together! Now onto my interior. Tucking the harness was a PITA but oh well, it's done lol.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Somehow I didn't scratch a thing. I'm ordering a filter soon; finally found one that fits. Also getting new vacuum line to get rid of the little bit of clear stuff I have. Next step is the interior and getting all the wiring in there tidied up, finishing the floors, and painting it all

4. BrandonRoche

BrandonRoche Member

No power steering, manual steering. I have the block off plate from condor speed shop that circulates flow. If I end up needing it I'll install it down the road

5. BrandonRoche

BrandonRoche Member

[​IMG]

Now that the engine is in I've moved to working on the interior. I fully deleted the blower motor box now with a lexan sheet and am going to be sealing it off after the painting is done. Happy with how it came out and the wiring passes through it much easier. For a defroster I'll be getting the bimmerworld windshield defrost kit, maybe adding fans inside the car later if I deem I want them.

[​IMG]

Then I pretty much just fixed the holes, primed it, and painted it. I have to go over it a few more times, but for now it's one color and I'm going to work my way back, then go back and paint the entire thing. Probably not painting the roof and pillars yet, maybe in the spring if I get hot, but for right now white floors should keep it cooler.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also got actually high res shots with a good camera of my engine bay. I will be going through those later and uploading a few so you can see what it looks like through a real camera and not my toaster phone.

Also, pulled off the door seals so I could paint all the way to the edge, and find this ball of sunshine under the seal/sill

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So somehow it's not completely rotted through and I should be able to save most of the metal, that's the next project once the cabin is done. Then it's onto the trunk!

6. counteract

counteract -o=me

I can't get enough of this. Everything you're doing is awesome, especially considering it's done by you and not shops.

Shame about the rust but I am sure that with the effort you have gone to everywhere else, this won't be a problem.

I've just Googled the Bimmerworld windscreen defrost kit and that is exactly the kind of solution I have been looking for!

7. BrandonRoche

BrandonRoche Member

Thank you haha, I try to get everything looking so perfect, but then I realize it's a racecar and it doesn't have to be perfect and I'll probably be the only one to even see the flaws. It frustrates me at first, but once it's done, I'm happy with it. The rust sucks but I'll fix it, just hate dealing with one thing after another, after another, etc.

I'm pretty much the test dumby among all my friends for the windscreen defrost kit to see how well it works and if I can see it, but I need a defogger and that one seems like the best option to me haha

8. BrandonRoche

BrandonRoche Member

So I got my filter and mounted it, then decided to flip it downwards since this car will never see rain. Pics of it up and down, no pictures from the bottom yet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then I decided to raise my I/C, it's up about 2" from where it was and now it feels like it's miles off the ground haha, also put some of my front end on. Waiting to install bumper until after I finish up shortening the I/C piping.

[​IMG]

And I finished painting what I wanted to in my interior. Ended up with 3 coats, the third being pretty heavy, and I'm happy with how it turned out, and it feels pretty durable which I'm happy with! Pardon the welds on the X, I need to grind them all down and redo them, it was very lazily and unmotivatedly done when I did it and it shows. I'll do that whenever I make my cage, probably sometime next season.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just need to finish up (seal) my panel that's deletes the HVAC and I'll install my dash too, just waited the paint to cure a little longer since it's a little cool up here. Hoping it have it driving by the end of the week!

9. BrandonRoche

BrandonRoche Member

Hooked everything else up and pulled it outside to warm up and make sure everything was working well sensor wise. I haven't finished the fuse panel yet but I will get to that later this week. Also my speedo and gas gauge suddenly started working, one of my grounds must have been lose or dirty because all I did was clean and retighten my grounds while the harness was up and now it works. Just a few more things to do before it goes away for the winter.

[​IMG]

Was going to try to turn up the boost, but my driveway/street was too slick from the rain and leaves, I got it up to 6 psi (from 5) but gave up because I was just spinning and couldn't even give it anywhere near full throttle. Took a video for snapchat because I was bored.

Hoping to finish it up this weekend then it's just a waiting game for VW to buyback my TDI then I can throw it on the trailer and into the back yard for the winter.

#109 BrandonRoche, Nov 2, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2017
  10. jay-young

jay-young Active Member

Really like this build. Those wheels suit it so well!

11. BrandonRoche

BrandonRoche Member

Thanks man! And yeah I love them, sucks that they are kinda heavy but oh well haha

Also got my engine bay finished up completely with the rain trays in and filter rotated down:

[​IMG]

Also got a new phone with a better camera so I've been loving the detail I can get even in my garage. So here are a couple higher quality pictures of where its at right now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

12. BrandonRoche

BrandonRoche Member

I ended up getting a video of it running lately to show how rich it runs, hopefully I can sort this out easily otherwise I'll deal with it u til I get a standalone.

After that I got the front end assembled, still need to trim the bumper more but it can turn now! And I finally got my new lower coilover mounts from Broadway so I can go up almost another 5" from where I was at which is super nice lol. Currently raised about 3/4" from where I was, might go up the extra 1/4" just to be safe. Rear is still at the same height. Painted the tow hook gold just so people woild stop walking into it. That piece of trim is broken so unless the hook is in, the trim falls out.

[​IMG]

Lastly, I started to work on fixing my my white trunk to uss it. The black one was destroyed so I'm just quickly throwing the white one together and fixing the wing holes. It didn't come out perfect but its better than the black trunk and the bodywork is being redone come spring. No picture of that yet lol.

Side note, I had my 4th hit and run happen to me doing over $3k in damage to my new audi

[​IMG]

13. BrandonRoche

BrandonRoche Member

Not much progress on the car at all, really just moved it outside for the winter and sealed it up. It'll be going onto my trailer once the VW is bought back but that is taking forever.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some half to 3/4 throttle pulls at somewhere between 9 and 11 psi, I wasnt paying too much attention tbh.