The HOLSET Thread

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by dale_b, Nov 23, 2012.

1. gerryl87

gerryl87 Member

Just weld up the penny on the wastegate and run a external one, that's what I was going doing with it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. tchouf

tchouf New Member

I am more to buy it ready to go whith the external...but, why not. How much with the shipping to France? ^^

3. gerryl87

gerryl87 Member

I'd have to check to see how much postage would cost

4. gerryl87

gerryl87 Member

To get it posted to you is 20 pound sterling mate

5. tchouf

tchouf New Member

Ok :) And how much for the turbo?

6. gerryl87

gerryl87 Member

Send me your email address , I cannot pm you on this

7. tchouf

tchouf New Member

8. whizzybang

whizzybang New Member

Hi guys, do you know if the internal wastegate on the hx35 would cope with only 15psi on a 13b with stock porting ? I would rather not put an external wg if the oem is fine.
    Cheers

9. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

Not a hope in hell

10. whizzybang

whizzybang New Member

Thanks Stavros. I've been reading your blog. Very interesting information.
    About that wg question, i would like to keep the setup as simple as possible. Is there a way of keeping the oem wg by changing something in the turbo or do i have to go external, period.
    i want 400whp, it is a weekend warrior with the odd track/drift day. What psi do you reckon will i land at and so what size of wg do i need ?
    (By the way, what is the pressure of the oem wg from factory ?)
    Lot of questions i know but if i switch from my perfectly running twins, i don't want to make a mistake.
    Thanks mate

Envoyé de mon Lenovo K33a48 en utilisant Tapatalk

11. tarzic

tarzic New Member

12. Atro

Atro New Member

lol, wastegate was leaking af, now it pulls strong from 4.5 till 8k. 550cc injectors from my previous set up are maxed @1.4bar. Going to install bigger ones so we can try 1.7/1.8bar.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

13. carlg

carlg New Member

Hi All, I run a holset hx35w (welded and using an external gate) on a vw 1.8t for drag racing. and I have purchased a hx40w looking for more power (as always) now the hx35 uses a 14cm exhaust housing and the hx40 has a 16cm housing both t3. however the compressor's on both are very similar sizes (i know that its not just the size but the shape etc of the blades) where i was expecting the hx40 to have a larger compressor wheel as the hx35 exducer is a few MM larger than the hx40.

have i bought a really small hx40?

will i see gains using the hx40 (i know its not always easy to answer but hey any advice is welcome)

just to know where i am currently my pb is 10.86@133 mph (with a 100 shot of nitrous)

sorry for a non drift question on a drifting forum however its a uk based forum and from reading this thread it appears to be quite active thanks in advance.

14. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

Not sure if anyone gives a shit, but those housings that were for sale above are Chinese as fuck.

Carl- What sizes? HX40 compressors are only a bit larger than HX35 ones. But there are 'small' HX35 and HX40 compressors, less common than the usual ones, but they exist.
    HX35s are proven at 600 at a push, HX40s 700 at a push. Both at upwards of 35psi though normally.
    Compressor inducer makes the biggest difference to power potential. Biggest off the shelf for a HX40 is 60mm.

15. GAVBEY

GAVBEY New Member

Hello,

Are the HX35 and 40W interchangable hotsides? Currently i use this for running in my engine but its T3 and it chokes. ideally id like T4 16cm

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

No, HX40s have bigger turbine wheels than HX35s, so not a straight swap. Ignoring the wheel, the housings do bolt on though, so you can machine the HX35 housing internally to fit a HX40.

In other news, Compressor Racing have some cool Holsets at the min, inc non-wastegate HX30s with the bigger compressor- People were seeing 370lbft+ at 1.3bar on stock SR20s a good few years back on here when a few people tried them.
    NEW- Holset HX30 quick spool 350bhp T3 turbo. HX32 HY35. Not GT28 T34 T3/4 T28 | eBay

They got HX50s and a HX60 too if anyone wants to get mental lol.

I'm fucking skint at mo so I'm resigned to just looking at turbos rather than buying them lol

17. Mrodoc

Mrodoc Member

Stav,

Ive currently got a 8blade hx40 with a 16cm divided housing with 0 play ( done 1000 miles at most) and im looking to put it onto my 1jz vvti chaser, ive been in talks with compressor racing and they have said they may be able to source some 14cm hx40's will there be much point in changing? im aiming for around the 500bhp mark so i know the 16cm may be slightly laggy but im going to be running a link ecu with a mild form of anti lag in hopes of compensating for this.

Any insight to if it would be worth it or not?

Cheers

Matt

18. driftinacossie

Stav, what could that HX30 make on an RB20?

Thanks

19. carlg

carlg New Member

Sorry for the delay.... the HX35 has an inducer of 56cm same as the hx40 but the bottom is larger on the hx35 the part number on the hx40 is 3597501 here is a pic of the blades on the hx35 [​IMG]

20. MrLuke

MrLuke #172

Compressor racing are rating it at 350bhp, they say it made 340bhp on an sr20 at 1.3bar so unless you are going to be running 2bar plus its going to be there or thereabouts.