Bmw 2.5 m50 drifter

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by LCR, Oct 16, 2016.

1. Coyote

Coyote New Member

Thanks very much, I have hit a snag with mine, its 99% finished but having a huge brake problem.

2. LCR

LCR New Member

Whats up with them mate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Coyote

Coyote New Member

When I bought the car it had its ABS removed and the rear brakes were disconnected from the fronts, just the cable went to the rear no hydraulics.

I reinstalled the missing pipes, added an ebay special e-brake, plumbed it all back in and bled the system. Unfortunately to no avail. The brakes do work but are pretty much none existent. I have pressure bled them, then changed the master cylinder using the logic that because he had capped the rear proportional output off the rear break seal in the cylinder with probably be damaged and passing after the first bleed fail. The fronts did work fine on the way from buying it BTW.

After doing all that I still have pretty much no braking on the rear, fluid flows, but only a tiny amount, activating the e-brake outputs a lot more. The front brakes do move but are near useless. The pedal when the engine is off firms up after two pushes but as soon as the engines on the pedal basically goes to the floor when pressed and never firms up.

This is making me think its the booster but the front breaks worked fine when I bought it and drove it home so unlikely it failed just then.

I am in two minds now what to do. What I am thinking is swapping out the e-brakes cylinder for a Wilwood cylinder with its own reservoir and have the rear brakes separate to the front as it was originally anyway. That way locking up the fronts for a burnout is simple enough. Or keep plodding on with it trying to figure out whats up.

#23 Coyote, Jan 18, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
  4. LCR

LCR New Member

That sounds like a real pita!!
    Sounds like you've done everything i would have tried, and the fact the front brakes worked fine before is strange!

Is the hydro locking the rears up?
    I would make sure you have a 0.625 cylinder, willwood ones are £30 on ebay and will work wonders!

Brakes sound like a major fault with master though, did you replace it with one known to definetly work?

5. Coyote

Coyote New Member

Hiya, yeah the cylinder is a Chinese. 625 but I have just ordered a Willwood standalone cylinder now.

I have decided to run separate fronts to back. I was told that the replacement master was fully working but we all know what ebay honesty is like :)

My only other thought is maybe with the rears calipers not being used for however many years they might be bad. Although that doesn't explain the pedal feel.

Anyway I will stop hijacking your thread :)

Thanks for the input.

6. r3served

r3served New Member

The wheels are mad AF. Love the aggressive stance.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

7. LCR

LCR New Member

Hope you get it sorted Coyote! If its just fir drifting only id say youve made the right choice! F@£k it! Haha
    Thank you r3served, they are different anyway!

8. LCR

LCR New Member

[​IMG]

Shopping trip today with the other half was riveting as usual [emoji42]

But found ourselves in a snow blizzard on the way home! Which brightened my day right up! [emoji2]

[​IMG]

Also managed to pick up some M3 wheels for £40 so gonna spray them up and fit them soon to see how they look!

[​IMG]

9. ワゴン

ワゴン Member

If they're genuine forged M3 wheels it was a great purchase. If they're fakes they are still good drift wheels for that price.