Nissan S14A Drift/Road Build

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by sergcab, Jan 10, 2017.

1. sergcab

sergcab Member

Follow me on Instagram: jdmserg for better and quicker updates.

So a few years ago i sold my S13 after getting an apprenticeship and not being able to afford to keep it. After many years of wanting another Nissan/ Drift car i went and bough my dream car a S14A.

Heres what it looked like when i bought it.
    4CLIvl.
    UB5c8h.

Unfortunately on the way home the car overheated really badly and it started knocking and loosing power so it ended up on the back of a tow truck with a dead engine.
    j1i5DV.

When i got it home i pushed it into the garage and was thinking WTF have i done i bought a LEMON. After i calmed down and spoke to the missus i decided oh well ill fix it. So first things first asses how bad it is and what it is. So i done a compression test to see what i got and it was pretty bad news. 2 of the coilpacks were actually melted in the head and i broke the coilpack in half trying to get it out. For the other 2 that i managed to get out this was the best of the 2.
    qYYxtA.
    The other had a reading of 0 so something quite bad happened, i started stripping the engine to get it out for removal and this is when i noticed the headgasket or something must be gone as the water neck for the engine was in pretty poor state.
    2KSpny.
    LM3TV7.

so then i thought ill get it all out and rebuild the engine so i started getting some goodies in for it.

6GxpMX.
    wM1C3W.
    wygSr9.
    zDo7Nm.
    o0eEZw.

After a while and talking to a few people what had happen they said it would probably be cheaper to just get a working and engine and go from there. Luckily i dont live far from GDUK and they managed to get me a really decent engine with good compression.
    Tf6l2k.

After that the parts kept arriving, got myself a new radiator and some gauges which now i have a full matching set with all sensors and other bits and bobs.
    COK1S1.
    xveZSG.
    1m9MYM.

So at this point i was getting happier everyday so i realized the outside of the car still looks really crap. So it weren't much but i bought myself a duck tail spoiler and a roof spoiler which i thought made the car look better already.
    JJ8cqh.
    TZoiTY.

Also when i was on holiday i kept searching for car parts everyday there and i found myself a real bargain of a top mount turbo which it was epic.
    jfGdko.

Owning the car for 7 months and only driving it for about an hour Christmas was here and the amount of car parts my girlfriend gave me was nuts. Lets put it this way this was a really good looking Christmas tree.
    M7yCx9.

After thinking for a while and getting in touch with someone local that fixes this type of cars, i decided instead of rebuilding the engine i was going to just fit the one from GDUK, as i am getting impatient so i stopped buying engine parts and went and bought myself some new wheels. Lets just say they are a bit wide on the rears and the fronts rub on the coil-overs so i need to get spacers on the front and over-fenders on the rears.
    uzMvMI.

So at this point having stripped alot of the car to get the engine out i decided to put the car back together so it can go to the garage to get it sorted with a few other bits.
    fBM1eF.
    LM3TV7.
    Cmhm0a.

At the moment im just waiting on a few bits like steering wheel hub and seat subframes to put the interior together and get that done for now.

Once the car is running i will be sending it to get the overfenders done and after that it will be going in for a full paint job when i get the bodykit sourced.
    The plan for the car is then to get a roll cage and inside all looking sweet and sorting the rust and underneath out. also looking to tubbing the front and building a bash bar. Still alot to do and it will take some time. so far this is about 8 months of things i been gathering.

I'm going to fit this SR and alot of the rebuild parts that i have bought will probably be sold as the money i will be spending to re build it i could very well possably fit and RB or even source a JZ and go down a different route.

Let me know what you think and any feedback/ideas/help on what to do would be appreciated as this is my first big build that im going to attempt.

This is how the car stands know waiting to be taken to the garage on the 25th.

Follow me on Instagram to get a few more regular updates if you want @jdmserg

XtTnGx.

2. Adammay

Adammay New Member

Hey man I remember you posting on the SXOC east anglia Facebook page when you had the engine problems. Nearly thought about getting this one myself.
    Glad you are icing it a new lease of life! Keep it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. wwc_gang

wwc_gang Member

what turbo is that? holset hy35?

4. sergcab

sergcab Member

Adammay thanks pal. It's taking a lot of money but annoyed I bought it but it will be worth it in the end. Big things happening to it hopefully.

Wwc gang: yeah it's a hy35w. Unfortunately I sold it as I'm going a different route now.

5. wwc_gang

wwc_gang Member

what turbo you will be running now? and what hp you planing to run ?

6. Adammay

Adammay New Member

You'll get there mate. Unfortunately I bought one over a year ago and recently stripped it down for a respray to find too much chassis and filler bodge all over it so am in the process of buying a new shell and doing that so I feel your pain.

Keep us posted dude

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. sergcab

sergcab Member

I'm keeping the SR as it is for now till it goes knocking again. Till that happens I'll be gathering parts for a RB or JZ swap then get a turbo for that pal.

8. sergcab

sergcab Member

That suck unfortunately that's the bad thing with these cars. Luckily the only bad rust I can see seems to be a bit on the sills. Arch wise they are pretty decent.

9. AmyasSeekTruth

AmyasSeekTruth New Member

Very beautiful car!!! Personally one of my all time favorites - I will own one (but with a 2jz):D
    :worthy::worthy::worthy:

10. sergcab

sergcab Member

Little update i finally got round to sorting the interior out a little bit only managed to get the drivers seat, wheel and harness fitted but better then nothing i do think it looks really good thou.
    [​IMG]

i do love the Nardi wheel feels really good and the NRG short hub and quick release really helps bring it out.

[​IMG]

Yesterday was the day that i been waiting for a really long time. I finally got it sent away to a really good garage near me Hudson Speed Shop to get the engine fitted and a few other bits and bobs installed really top guys working there highly recommended.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hopefully next week i will be using it as its been a really long time since its ran so really looking forward to it. while i was at the garage we checked over the rust issue on the sills. Lets say its bad but not as bad as i thought so im pretty happy on rust right at the back of the sills and thats it. Lets just say it could be alot worse ;).

11. sergcab

sergcab Member

So after a long time with no update. The car has been running it’s had a few changes. It’s now running a Link ECU mapped by Marin Battye. Had the rust repaired underneath it was a right state but it looks a lot better now. For now I have a spare rear subframe that I will be polybushing and new arms fitted over the winter. Going to be concentrating getting everything underneath right then finish it off with the interior and paint. So here’s a few pictures of the changes the car has had since the last post 2A87BFCC-8A52-4613-8EF1-6D68806C816C. 486BB994-EBEA-4EB4-9DA0-0645AA0BEF75. 56ABD0D1-43A3-4B20-86BF-BAB170483387. 7E9CD3A6-50FB-43F8-A778-C21866A0DAE0.

The things I hope to get done over winter are:
    New gearbox as mine is shagged
    Under sealed
    Polusbushed and all new arms on the rear subframe
    More angle and new arms on the front
    Bash bar to give the bumper a bit more support
    And interior with cage.

Once all these are done I’ll concentrate on getting more bits done to the engine. At the moment it’s running a healthy 300bhp on a Link ECU which is more than enough for now. Any pointers or ideas would be great to hear from you guys.

12. danjvandyke

danjvandyke Member

Nice build thread, rust on mine is in a similar state. Where did you get the welding work done?

13. quattrotobbe

quattrotobbe New Member

good work! its really cool! :D