Dudley Fabs - W202 Mercedes 230 Kompressor Practice car and grocerie getter.

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by Adam-MGTF, Dec 22, 2016.

1. Adam-MGTF

Adam-MGTF Member

A lot more arch death needed to happen. I didn't have much time so I sort of just made it up as I went along. My plan was to keep both skins so I could tac weld them back together and then seal them up somehow. It's a practice car not a missile car. So I do want it to last!

I take full responsibility for this...

[​IMG]

While I butchered arches, Dave and Evan finished the rubbing down that I started a few days ago.

[​IMG]

The fronts got pulled out a LOT more

The rears I just kept butchering.

[​IMG]

Speaking of butchery. Glue problem? Solution! = Flap disk

[​IMG]

At this point we decided the rear end needed... something... a wing perhaps?

[​IMG]

I don't think my old s14 rear wing was quite right

Butttttt

I did find this in my loft...

[​IMG]

Well if your going to be offensive, why not have a Big(ish) Gay Wing?

The trial mount had Evan Very excited.

[​IMG]

At this point I was old and crippled so I sat and got drunk while occasionally mumbleing about how S bodies used to cost less and that Dave should stop taking selfies on my phone.

[​IMG]

Toothless inbread... anyway

[​IMG]

He's good at masking

[​IMG]

Annnnddddd cue the graffiti paint!

[​IMG]

Not bad

[​IMG]

Turning out OK given we both got pretty high of the fumes, I was half in the bag from a few stiff drinks and that it was 2am and about -2oC !!!!!

[​IMG]

So... how'd it turn out? Well given that I'll probably post a photo of it at the start of the thread, you already know. But read on anyway!

2. Adam-MGTF

Adam-MGTF Member

So how did it turn out? I may as well have another brew and upload some more photos!

First question... how drunk was I when I decided that Purple carbon fibre wrap was a good style choice?

[​IMG]

to be honest I don't care... Not a bad transformation!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The next day proved it was still rubbing bad... The spacers I had ordered were 5mm smaller than Daves and I planned to run some smaller tyres. So a temp solution was in order.

[​IMG]

The above picture shows the problem... also how much the wheels are pushed out. I expected this to fuck up the handling due to a huge scrub radius. But tbh it's not noticeable once your peddling

[​IMG]

To stop the rubbing I unbolted the front wings, Cut the bottoms off (for later reattachment) and Evan drilled some new mounting holes.

This moved the wings up a few mm. Just enough to solve the worse of the rubbing. Win

Couple of daylight shots as we did this...

[​IMG]

Not bad I think for stuff I found in my loft, the rear arches I found in the boot of a BMW I bought years ago. I like how they look cut down

[​IMG]

Now of a Test drive That involved no skids whatsoever

[​IMG]

Just some obligatory petrol station shots

I'll move the rear over fenders down a tad wheh I get my spacers and some lower profile tyres

[​IMG]

Fairly cuffed tbh

[​IMG]

Total spend so far... £350 buying the car £250 on spacers. £25 on spark plugs, fuel and oil filter and probably £15 on cutting disks and welding gas/wire. Just over £600 all in. ;)

[​IMG]

Plans now:

I'm going to get my hydro put in (need a new cylinder for it)
    Order some pressed plates :euge: yes i'm scene as fook.
    I need an aftermarket steering wheel so my brother can fit in the drivers seat

Oh... and I'm going to fit a dirty great big exhaust :smokin:

...and that's it. The car drives really well. Loads and loads of traction, more power than I can ever see me needing in a practice car.

So maybe 1 more update hopfully followed by a year of trouble free and (cheap!) Skids.............

3. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

4. Adam-MGTF

Adam-MGTF Member

Update: sort of

Been using the car daily and I'm finding the AFM / maf keeps needing a clean otherwise it will hesitate on WOT... Need to look into this. I have a feeling it's because of how I've got the cone filter setup.

No hydro still but the cylinder has arrived from eBay. So has the fittings so that's another £12 lol. Just need to fit it now.

My left rear wheel is catching bad. Need to cut the arch better as the driver's side is fine.

Otherwise the car is epic. It is funny as hell looking out the window at the uni car park. It never stops getting attention.

Plan is to go to Buxton or pod in march. I hoped to do Feb but I've put my SR out my 14 in a new shell and it's taken up too much time so watch this thread.

Cheers stav. Glad you kept yours. When you next at pod. 2 w202 twinning would be epic

5. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

22nd of Feb. Ie about a week away.

6. tiredhero

tiredhero Member

love how this sits so after the hydro fitting and sorting the maf and arches is that it or do you have any other plans?

7. Adam-MGTF

Adam-MGTF Member

funnily enough I put up a project thread tonight. I've built a R33 with a SR in it. Loving it. This merc is still a dudley fab car though. Evan who built it with me has bought it off me for what it owes me and he's going to use it to learn to skid and to learn how to make roll cages!

We will be skidding together :D And keeping this thread up to date.

He's also going to be stripping it out, removing a lot of weight and tubeing the front and rear (just because he enjoys fab work!)

- - - Updated - - -

I missed the 22nd but ill be there next month dude.

Btw... been reading your blog. awesome man. really really enjoying it