180sx newbie questions

Thread in 'Drifting Chat / Pictures / Videos' started by laurenaliceee, Feb 21, 2017.

1. laurenaliceee

laurenaliceee New Member

Hey guys I bought a 180 sx this weekend going to pick it it on the 3rd,

The guy has been running a manual boost controller and I want to get a decent new one (not a manual one)
    whats the best one to get for the car?

also is it worth doing a 4-5 stud conversion?

Thanks guys

2. BenRice

BenRice Well-Known Member

Boost controller: nothing wrong with manual boost controllers, as long as he hasn't set it beyond what is safe for the setup. Nothing really to be gained be going expensive electronic tbh

4-5 stud conversion: yes if you've found some 5 stud wheels you want to put on it. What parts you use depends on what you want to do with the car (daily driver, track-only build, etc)

3. gerryl87

gerryl87 Member

With the 5 stud conversion you'll have better breaks than the standard 180sx breaks, if it's only to suit wheels you can get wheel spacers to convert from 4 to 5 stud

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. laurenaliceee

laurenaliceee New Member

heys guys!

the guy has blown the turbo seals so need a new one, with this manual one we cant see what its running?

And Im looking at dong a brake upgrade so miot about wheels hahah

is it worth it? how hard is it to do?

thanks

5. gerryl87

gerryl87 Member

I'd put a boost gauge on it so you know what boost your running, or take it out and put it back the way it was originally until you have a boost gauge to check it, not very hard to do at all, you'd do it in a couple of hours yourself , the standard breaks on a 180 arnt very good at all , I've s14 breaks on my 180 and they do the job good enough

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. laurenaliceee

laurenaliceee New Member

oh cool! how hard is a brake upgrade to do? also I need a new turbo wheres the best place to buy a decent one, stock is fine

thanks

7. BenRice

BenRice Well-Known Member

Second what Gerry said, pull the boost controller off and put it back to stock

As for replacement turbo, where are you based? What do you want to do with the car in the future? What is the spec of the car currently? Need a bit more info if you want answers to such a broad question