Continental tyres for drifting & Winter vs. Summer tyres?

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by BH1, Mar 30, 2017.

1. BH1

BH1 Member

Hi,

I read here that continental tyres are delaminating very quickly.

What is your experience? Can I use them as long as I get some used ones for free?

Or shouldn't I bother using them?

Obviously installing the tyre on the rim costs time and getting rid of them costs money.

So there is effort and expenses involved, even If i would get those Continental tyres for free.

Another question: How well are winter tyres lasting compared to summer tyres? Would you always pick up a summer tyre over a winter one if both are for free?

Last question: Whats the lowest tread depth you would bother installing on a rim if you get the tyre for free? 3mm, 4mm?

2. Mike@TDSW

Mike@TDSW Active Member

My experience is save the contis for the road wheels dont bother with them for drifting as they delam and smash up the side of your car/bumper/fibreglass hero bodykit.

Winter tyres smoke well but dont last long or grip much

3. PhilMorrison

PhilMorrison Driftworks Owner
    Staff Member

I never got on with Conti's back in the day. They always delaminated.

4. BH1

BH1 Member

Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Whats the lowest tread depth you would bother installing on a rim if you get the tyre for free? 3mm, 4mm?

Installing the tyre takes time and getting rid of it after it has been used isnt for free either. So where is the "break even point"?

5. Bolf

Bolf Resident Nut Job.

All depends on how hot they will get IMO , if your doing one lap every 30 mins , then they will naturally last longer , as tyre wear is a combination of friction vs heat , the hotter the tyre gets and the higher the wheel speed , the quicker it wears/degrades.

So lots of laps in a short time = more heat , tyres die quick , regardless of starting tread 3-5mm

Letting the tyre cool down , running through water etc makes tyres last longer.

• Like Like x 1