Save the Sh*tter! & Learn Stuff

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by CL1V3, Apr 18, 2017.

1. CL1V3

CL1V3 New Member

Thanks Tristram! the drivers side is probably the easier side, I'm not looking forward to remaking the passenger side! Hopefully will come out well enough to be solid and pass an MOT without looking hideous! Just want it done now so I can continue building the car and get out to get some seat time :)

2. tristram

tristram Member

For some reason the passengers side is the worst most of the time.. so good luck haha took me way to long! But it worked out! Just need a rollbar and seat installed and seat time it is for me too! Problem is there is no legal place here to slide a little so guess i need to go streeto..

3. CL1V3

CL1V3 New Member

So this weekend I looked at this sorry state again and decided to get it sorted!

IMG_4351_zpszjupcwrm.

Ground it all back and treated the rust so it hopefully wont spread any further underneath. Made up a repair panel for the front and remade the inner sill out of thicker metal to give it some strength.

Apologies now for the shocking looking welds but it would seem no matter how far back you cut these cars they seem to made of cheese!! but its done now and its a lot more solid than it was! its not going to win any awards for being pretty but at least there is a rear arch/sill again now!

IMG_4379_zpsivhudwkf.
    I did warn you!
    Anyways nothing a grinder and some filler cant sort!
    IMG_4381_zpsmqudtlf7.
    IMG_4382_zps1ita6pdv.
    IMG_4391_zpsdvyp48ae.
    IMG_4392_zpslbhfx5jl.

So now its solid, hopefully can focus on getting the rest of the car sorted!

Saying that I did try to get my diff sorted this weekend but that decided it wasn't going to play ball! I got a welded diff pumpkin to put into an open diff casing. simple job of remove the open pumpkin and replace with the welded one ....... or that would have been the case if the open diff bolts hadn't been rusted to shit and 3 rounded and another snapped! So now I'm waiting for my local mx5 breakers to sort me out another one to try!

So instead I managed to finish the interior. By that I mean I finished painting it all black inside, put the centre console back in and changed the steering wheel and boss to one my mate gave me seems as the one I took off was being held on with 2 out of the 6 bolts and the rest were snapped in the boss!!

As money is abit tight at the moment and I haven't seen any bucket seats going cheap, I did a foamectomy on the seats to make them a lot more huggy and to allow me to sit abit lower in the car. To be fair they are actually really comfortable and will do for now until I can get a bucket seat or two!

Lastly I got round to swapping the busted wing for another one in far better condition!
    IMG_4386_zpsurcyfp5f.

So that's it for now. Once I get the diff sorted I'll be able to get on with some more bits and finally get round to making it all one colour!

4. lewby

lewby Member

top work on those sills!

btw you actually can weld the VLSDs. its just a bit trickier, but there a better ratio than the 1.8 diffs.

5. CL1V3

CL1V3 New Member

I did look at it but I wanted to make sure it was definatly not going to crap itself on the first proper skid I do haha! plus I have now ended up with the stronger prop and shafts because of it. So once I get the other diff casing from my local breakers I will hopefully be good to get it all back in the car and then I can work on the other bits that need attention before MOT time etc.

As much as its fun building and saving it from the scrap I do just want to get out in it and have a play!!

• Like Like x 1
  6. lewby

lewby Member

Yeah I feel ya there. My MOTs in a month

Also if you feel the need for a shorter ratio I think you can swap the crown an pinion for a Kia Sportage one and it'll make about a 4.6:1 or something lol

7. CL1V3

CL1V3 New Member

Thanks for the advice, I will see how I get on with the diff when I finally get it in and go from there :thumbs: cheers

8. CL1V3

CL1V3 New Member

Unfortunately no pictures at the moment, but had a few issues with bits and pieces recently!! And lack of time due to the daily cars in our house needing work!

Finally got a diff sorted and that's now back in the car! I have changed the rear brakes but even that wasn't simple! I bought all new discs and pads for the car as when I took the wheel off I noticed that there were odd pads and rusty as hell discs on it.

Well that was fun I went to change them and as per usual the rear caliper had seized. I tried taking it apart and sorting it out, but it was stuck solid. I fixed one of the rear caliper adjusters, dropped it on the floor, when I picked it up I stood up to quick and cracked my head on the bottom of my vice in the shed and fell back floor (I lost the f***ing adjuster!!!) At this point I decided that I should just get another caliper!
    After getting another caliper (checked the otherside first all ok) I then tried to fit the discs, to my amazement they were odd! This car is Frankenstein!! it has a mixture of 1.6 and 1.8 brakes discs and pads all round!!
    Seems as I had all brand new 1.6 discs and pads I managed to source through my mates spares 1.6 carriers and calipers so the back is now done and only the fronts left to do!
    Cars all back on the floor and after finding the MAF sensor wasn't quite fully plugged in it does run and drive.

Next on the list is to get the front in the air and change the front brakes and remove the anti roll bar. Fit my rack spacers from destroy or die, paint the remaining to gash orange wheels. Paint the car, get the tyres replaced and get the car MOT'd..... GO DO SOME SKIDS!!

9. CL1V3

CL1V3 New Member

Managed to get a few hours on the car, so now finally all the brakes are done, removed the front anti roll bar and fitted the rack spacers, not sure how noticeable the lock will be but until I get to drive it I wont know!

IMG_4513_zpsbzge8qsa.

Before Rack Spacers
    IMG_4507_zpsbcrolws1.

After Rack Spacers
    IMG_4511_zps2qf8478k.

That's it for now, hopefully more to update next week!

10. CL1V3

CL1V3 New Member

So this weekend we managed to get the car into paint! a day of sanding and prepping and a day to paint and put it back together! Would have preferred to have done it inside somewhere but I don't have that luxury and as its a learner drift car its not going to stay looking pretty, but at least it is all one colour now and looking better than when I picked it up!

So the girlfriend gave me a hand sanding it down.

IMG_4556_zpsdo17ke0p.
    IMG_4561_zpsewgaseny.
    IMG_4559_zpsntr40ewp.

Then masked up the a pillar and door frame and gave them a quick coat of black.

IMG_4562_zpsohvmjkbz.

Decided to give the front lip a refresh along with the mirrors and bumper reflectors etc

IMG_4555_zpspfquagha.

So on the Sunday we cleaned it all up and prepped the last bits and got it all masked up ready for paint!

IMG_4564_zpssfgm3zxg.
    d499326d-24fd-41f5-a44e-3b4110505fd1_zpskekqihfq.
    IMG_4572_zps1eewoved.

Found a use for the washing line!!

IMG_4566_zpsnym4utzt.

And so after 8 cans of paint and a few hours or putting it all back together it looks like this!

IMG_4576_zps9g2cmcsv.

IMG_4582_zpsjc6tzb89.

IMG_4580_zpsbibdoqtb.

Overall I'm fairly happy with how its come out. The Bonnet isn't great but that's the problem with painting with aerosols and doing it outside! But hey its one colour and now it just needs tyres and MOT so I can take it out :nod:

At some point I'd like to get some better wheels but for now money says otherwise! So until its on the road that's it for now! :wave:

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  11. MagicMik0

MagicMik0 Member

Looking good mate :D

12. GlenF95

GlenF95 Active Member

Coming on well mate look forward to seeing more updates

13. lewby

lewby Member

what spoiler is that!! I want one :D.

looking good now its one colour.

14. CL1V3

CL1V3 New Member

Cheers guys, its not amazing but least its all one colour now. Hopefully get it MOT'd this week and can go and try it out!

Sorry mate I have no idea what kind of ducktail it is. It came on the car. I like it though its different!