RX7 street stance project worth a look... Maybe too pretty to drift

Thread in 'Drift cars for sale' started by bigbellytom, Apr 3, 2013.

1. bigbellytom

bigbellytom Member

After speaking to Ben I have gone and started it today... on the button hot and cold!! Such a great car... I did however get the price wrong... Please see the advert i have now finalised!!

---ADVERT AS BELOW----

Hello and thank you for looking at my Mazda RX7 FD. This is a long running project that we have been building over the last 5 years... I must make it clear it is now being sold as a project due to an ECU issue, but read on before this puts you off....

Im going to bullet point a very long story of the cars history and why it is what it is:
    Theres 2 friends that own this car, myself and Ben.
    Ben had an RX7 on the road for a few years untill it went pop (this is the shell)
    Tom had another friend with a Type RZ which had just been rebuilt by RX Motors... This car was crashed and written off.
    We bought the crashed one and decided that we were to join forces and build one car out of the two (we love our projects).
    The idea was to make a sick stance'd Rx7 and use it for a while before selling it on...
    However we ended up going far to far, it was stripped back completely, everything underneath was off, shot blasted, lacquered and put back on.
    We were aiming at building a show car and we got carried away..

It was all going so well until we had a change in circumstances with Ben's career... And here's where the problems started... The car was pretty much in its current form about 12 months ago, we were just getting it ready for mot and sale.... it had been left outside for a few weeks as Ben was moving up north and we were loosing the unit... There is a leak (not drastic and not visible) somewhere into the car and where the car was left the ECU got damp.. the Apexi ECU i might add. We went to move the car and there was no spark even though the ECU had a power light... (maybe all isn't lost with this ecu?) We got the ecu plugged in and sure enough it was duff. This apexi ECU will go with the car and may be fixable. The problem we had was we lost the unit and Ben moved away so we moved the car to a friends drive and its sat there now for about 8-10 months. We just don't have the time or space to keep it or do anything with it so we are admitting defeat and letting someone grab an absolute bargain!!

Im now going to list some of the work that has been done and some of the spec that the car currently has: (there will be plenty i forget)
    Shell very tidy, stripped back all subframes and arms removed, shotblasted, polybushed and lacquered.
    Engine bay stripped back and painted.
    Exterior/body freshly repainted in white, this was a full respray as we love white cars, the car has done under 100 miles on it since respray (until it was taken off-road due to relocation & new job)
    Inner arches and sections behind bumper undersealed black.
    Custom flared front arches to suit 18" wheels
    Torsen limited-slip differential cleaned up and painted.
    Twin-Turbo Engine rebuilt by Tim @ RX motors, (receipt available for nearly £3000) has about 5000miles on it since rebuild. Starts on button both cold and hot (rotary engines become hard to start from hot when they get tired and loose compression), no smoking or leaks etc. (see video, taken on the 04/04/13 - note: the engine turns over slowly because the battery was not fully charged!)

It did have an Apexi Power FC programmable ECU fitted that was Mapped to this engine by Dragon Performance to @ 310-320bhp, but since being parked up this appears to have stopped working (freezes on 'Apexi' loading screen). I do have a copy of the map that came off it and can include the broken Power FC, might be fixable I don't know. The car does start and run fine on the stock ECU (see above video) but due to the modifications (intake, decat and emissions removal) hard driving on the stock ecu will very likely cause damage to the engine so should be definitely avoided. Also its worth noting the Stock ECU triggers into limp mode due to the decat.. again it will start and run but i would not put it on boost as its not fuelling right without the custom map!!
    Polished inlet manifold fitted (needs a clean as its been sat)
    Emissions rubbish removed (no longer used when de-catted), and DM Motorsports block off plates fitting
    HKS RS (Racing Suction) polished Induction Kit. Simply the best twin-turbo induction kit available (£550 new)
    Gearbox rebuilt by Forest Auto Salvage, around 1000miles on (see photo)
    Meister R fully adjustable coilovers (damping, ride height, preload), have covered around 5000miles from new.
    Ferrodo DS2500 brake pads (Good performance from cold, AMAZING once warm)
    Rare genuine Re-Amemiya Dolphin tail exhaust with de-cat pipe (incredibly desirable system)
    18" Tommy Kaira Wheels Skyline Special edition Split look rims - im sure they are actually split rims but would need to confirm...
    Bridgestone tyres (excellent tread)
    99 spec plastic interior panels (nice textured plastic finish, not the painted satin finish on earlier models that peels off in clumps!)
    High capacity 'MAV' aluminium radiator, with custom made mounts to accomodate it being much wider than the standard item.
    Twin Oil coolers.
    All 6 Rear pillowball bushes (rose joints) replaced 5000miles ago. These play a large part in the RX7's awesome handling, but are common failure as they get worn and cause a knocking noise from the rear, aswell as vague handling.
    Please also note it comes with the lower splitter for the front bumper but this is UNFITTED.
    Custom MAV Side Skirts
    Momo interior bits
    Full Toad Alarm System
    Twin mushroom filters
    Folders full of receipts

As i have stated this is a Running Project and i want to be clear that you cant come and buy this and drive it home without risk.... not just because of the lack of MOT and TAX but due to the ecu now being stock. The car been stood for 8-10 months and although it started first time on the button today i would suggest it may need going over before an mot as you know things like brakes can get sticky... although it has been left with the brakes and handbrake off.. I know saying its a project may put people off but i want to be honest... It need either the Apexi fixed or a replacement.. and as stated we have the Dragon custom map that will go with the car - just bring a USB.

It is currently declared off-road so it does not have tax or mot. As mentioned it has been sitting on a friend's drive I havent had a chance to test drive it, however it was all but ready for an MOT when the ECU packed up last year and its had so many new parts i don't know what it could fail on??

This car stands us at silly money so we are fully prepared to loose on it as its being sold as a project ... however we all know what this will break for so wont be accepting silly money.. the car is far to good to break but if that was the only option then so be it... but I'm sure someone out there wants a sick rx7 at half its value!! Please don't ask me for prices on bits as it wont be broken, it will go to the ebay hawks!!

Taking all the above into consideration we are asking for offers around £3200... thats not £2500, its offers around £3200. Theres so many if's and but's... If we had the money, time and space to get it back on the road I would be asking for £6000..
    This car has had SO much work done to it, a ridiculous amount of hours and due to circumstance has barely been used.. :(
    It is truly heartbreaking it has come to this but I run out of options so someone is about to get a BARGAIN!!
    We have a massive selection of photos of the car in various states of build which will be passed on to the new owner.. i wont start emailing these out willy nilly to interested parties but they are all available upon request to the buyer.

Im very vigilant of the fact its a project and ive never understood people selling unfinished projects... but we genuinely don't have the space or money to throw and it and the logistics of where we now live are killing us!!

The car is in Gloucestershire.. and available for collection ASAP... however it wont be available from the 19th April - 5th May due to me being away on holiday!!

If theres any question please don't hesitate to ask.

Tom 07947 404003

---ADVERT END---

2. benlewismav

benlewismav Member

Car as it is now:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

-----Build Photos-----
    Rebuilt gearbox (the one on the right!):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Torsen Limited Slip Diff:
    [​IMG]

Meister-R Coilovers test fit:
    [​IMG]

Shotblasted and polybushed arms (with new pillowball rose-joint bushes):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Polished Inlet Manifold:
    [​IMG]

Stripped and resprayed engine bay:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Some photos during the build before it was sprayed:
    (Engine In)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Fresh out of the paintshop before refitting trim etc (It has been on the road a handful of times since then :( ):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and finally some PHOTOSHOPS of our original idea for the car (Just to make it clear, these are quick PHOTOSHOPS, photos of the actual car are at the top):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#22 benlewismav, Apr 4, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2013
  3. RandomGuy

RandomGuy Harroooooooooo!

so for 2.5k you get all that?? thats fooking cheap?!?!?

and all it needs is an ECU?

4. LOKISY

LOKISY Member

Nah it's offers around 3200 bud which is still an insane bargain.

5. benlewismav

benlewismav Member

Actually its disgustingly cheap, and makes me feel a little sick. But it was a joint project and we both have nowhere to store it, its about to get kicked off a neighbours drive, and I now work and live 3hrs away in a 1st floor flat with no parking so we have no choice really :cry: FS.

I really cant stress enough;
    this is essentially a bare shell restoration with a fresh respray in frozen white,
    5000miles on a rebuilt twin turbo engine,
    5000miles on new coilovers,
    1000miles on a rebuild gearbox,
    freshly refurbed RARE 18" Tommy Kaira wheels,
    Rare RE-Amemiya dolphin tail exhaust w/decat,
    HKS RS polished twin-turbo intake system,
    Polished upper inlet manifold,
    Uprated large capacity custom radiator,
    Custom front arches,
    FEED-style sidesteps,
    Lightweight GRP vented bonnet (unsure of make, excellent fit),
    Emissions crap removed,
    Mapped to 310-320bhp on Power FC by Dragon Performance (~350hp with bigger intercooler and boost increase),
    Viper alarm and immobiliser with paperwork,
    6x9's in parcel shelf and AMP included.
    Reams of reciepts.

As mentioned the downsides are the Power FC is playing up so likely needs replacing and its been stored outside for a while up so could do with a good clean up & and a couple of finishing touches (like fitting the front splitter). It's essentially HALF-PRICE because of this..
    The video of the engine running was taken yesterday.

#25 benlewismav, Apr 5, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2013
  6. K10RFT

K10RFT Member

Pm me with a post code an ill see if im passing by.

7. bigbellytom

bigbellytom Member

Currently on hold as we've realised the log book is with ben and the cars with me... Being posted so sale can commence...

8. Supra Gaz

Supra Gaz Member

Christ that's tempting!

9. benlewismav

benlewismav Member

Sold sold sold. Obviously :p

10. Baikin

Baikin New Member

11. theholty

theholty OH NOES

You on crack? Not only is the thread 4 years old but it also states that it sold??

12. Baikin

Baikin New Member

chill out dude... didnt see that. saw something along those lines then refreshed page and it was gone. you dont need to reply and act like an asshole for no apparent reason. no one cares. let someone as a question freely.