Balling on a budget jag

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by woods1, Mar 26, 2017.

1. spin-king

spin-king Active Member

Like it wouldnt look out of place at a polo match until you left there with abit of manfoot lol.

Like people said nice to see somthing different have you done any dry drifting yet???

2. woods1

woods1 Active Member

Cheers man, yea it just kinda looks fairly presentable doesn't it till you boot it or pull the hydro haha. I've done few drift days at three Sisters in my volvo but have yet to do a dry drift day yet in this.
    Really want to get booked on to next flat-out academy day at teeside but it's a expensive day out and about 2 hour drive each way. Hopefully I will book on to the one at end of August :)

3. spin-king

spin-king Active Member

Na there not expensive when you consider the seat time you get. Seen and togged you at 3sister spinking photography when i am not failing at slipping i fail at togging lol

4. woods1

woods1 Active Member

So been having a nightmare with the jag. Started getting hot and leaking coolant. Couldn't figure out what was going on and can't book a drift day until I sort it.

So today I pulled all the pipes off and can't believe what I found.

One hose was split

orca-image-1503751068432._1503751068737_zpsdfryjac4.

And the top hose was the worse bodge job I've ever seen! A section of brake line glued inside the bleed pipe then the nipple glued back on. What a joke! Even worse 56 quid for a replacement!!! Least I can get it 100 % now and get myself booked onto a Flatout day at teeside next month :)

DSC_0797_zps8qsax3xl.

DSC_0798_zpsms3owxj7.

5. woods1

woods1 Active Member

So been really busy with the jag recently, fitted new rear tie rods as the old ones were ruined and took it for alignment

DSC_0808_zps9ab4zlhk.

Then I went to three Sisters for a drift day. Car went great and had a good time. Shame three Sisters allow so many cars on the day however. I was there from 9am and went home at 4pm and got less then 10 laps due to over 60 cars booked on.

FB_IMG_1505740569664_zpsxxuwjhno.

Bit crap really so I treated it more of a test day because on Wednesday I'm booked on for teesside flat out academy day. Really can't wait to just get a load of seat time and have fun not sit in ques all day or wait for sessions. Watched lot of vids and reviews and seems like the perfect day for me to learn more.

6. magicmat

magicmat Active Member

great to see something else drifting !!

Considering that rad pipe replacement was so expensive, im not surprised they bodged it !

• Like Like x 1
  7. woods1

woods1 Active Member

So got some more pics from three Sisters on Sunday -

FB_IMG_1505942963970_zpscsvpy0od.

FB_IMG_1505944211329_zpszuoqyfqi.

FB_IMG_1505942973058_zpsskiny5gw.

FB_IMG_1505943009836_zpsbczil4c0.

So yesterday I were too teeside for a flat out academy day. What can I say other than the best thing drifting wise I've ever done. Amazing venue, brilliant instructors and basically unlimited seat time. I must have done 40-50 laps with choice of two tracks and basically spent the entire day either not having to cue at all or maybe 2-3 car max.

Learnt so much and had a brilliant time, if your thinking of doing one then definitely get it booked. I can't wait to get back. Wish there was a photographer there but I got a few snaps and got a fellow drifter there to take some vids.

DSC_0827_zps4abztn22.

Definitely tapped a few tire walls too haha

DSC_0814_zpstnq1w0zs.

• Like Like x 1
  8. woods1

woods1 Active Member

So as it's fully winter, cold, dark and crap I decided to take the jag off the road as it's just for drifting and cba paying for it to sit over winter.

There was a load of jobs I wanted to sort on the jag, first being the rear wheel bearings. They were so loud on the motorway it was ridiculous. I also put new disks on the rear.

DSC_0849_zpsddszoamz.

Now I'm moving on to the front, Checking everything over. I bent a tie rod at teesside so on with swapping them over.

I wanted to add some rack spacers while I was there, but today I took the track rods off and couldn't believe what I found

DSC_0848_zpsjl7jjog2.

The tie rod already from factory has a 22mm spacer on it already?! Never seen anything like this before, the thread is very long and has a separate spacer which brings the thread engagement up to the limit. Very strange!

9. woods1

woods1 Active Member

So the jag is in the same spot it's been for months, waiting for new track rods and few other service bits over winter.

In the meantime here's a video in action on teesside West track

• Like Like x 1
  10. Minimoke

Minimoke Member

Regal as fuck dude. Looks and sounds awesome. Looks like it's got the power to keep going in the dry :)

• Like Like x 1
  11. woods1

woods1 Active Member

So after taking the jag off the road In November because winter is gay, I spent ton of time doing loads of work to the jag.

I need this car to be reliable as possible, so did a few jobs that needed doing.

New fuel pump was preventative maintenance. Jaguar want about 400 quid for a new fuel pump as they only seem to seel the whole unit, however its the same pump as fitted to basically every ford out there. So 12 quid off ebay for a focus pump and that ticked one job off

DSC_0069_zpsjx3vizik.

Next I did the rear wheel bearing. Massively terrible job that took ages due to siezed shafts.

Changed the oil and filter

Rear tie rods were a joke and tons of wheel play as a result so changed those.

Made a rear jacking bar as hate two stage jacking and driving on blocks of wood. Made plenty of spreader plates and fitted a rear trs tow strap

DSC_0076_zpsljeaypv5.

IMG_20180226_111714_597_zpsukbuwgmr.

Did front tie rods as they had bent at teeside.

Bits of other crap too but she's ready for alignment and hooning. Want to get to plenty of drift days this year and the jag is going to the nurburgring with a load of mates in May which should be a right laugh. Stay posted ✌️

IMG_20180305_175407_456_zpsm7rzmhtj.

12. Minimoke

Minimoke Member

So cool. Love the video man.

• Like Like x 1
  13. KillboSlaggins

KillboSlaggins Active Member

As people have said, so rad to see something different going sideways! Can't believe how little money has been spent for such a cool skidmobile.

Thinking outside the box defo seems to be the one :smash:

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  14. woods1

woods1 Active Member

Cheers guys. I just like to be different and don't do run of the mill stuff, always try to be a bit more individual with cars. Although the downside is that you cant buy any performance parts and you have to make any parts yourself.

Big budget cars are fun but I've personally always had so much more fun in cheap cars, I've probably got around 400 quid total in the car so far and I've never had as much fun with another car.

Plus who doesn't love a jaaaaaag haha

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  15. woods1

woods1 Active Member

So,

After lot of faffing I went to teeside on Wednesday for another flat out day. Was a brilliant day, I was the only car there that drive there and back, and experienced my first "drift snobbery" haha. Like hello? Who doesn't love a jag?

Only thing I've really done to the car since was fit some bonnet raiser to try keep temps down. Fitted about a 20mm raiser and was shocked how much heat I could see and feel coming out the new gap.

20180420_195613_zpsrxvgpjlg.

DSC_0169_zpsetv80gru.

20180420_194455_zpsgvdukzop.

20180420_194619_zpszlm17uvy.

20180420_194710_zps92h4zoht.

20180420_194614_zpsybmxfzj0.

Looks about a million times better on the few runs I did before going home on my 17s which I've never drifted on before -

20180420_195623_zpsyxkaji4a.

20180420_195618_zps3dhm58vm.

20180420_195705_zpsjfvxf8sp.

My mate Mike came along and took all these amazing pics that make me look half decent haha.

Car performanced great but if I'm honest I can't get away with running cut springs anymore, the car on the Bdc layout and manji on the west track felt very unpredictable and choppy ride.
    But next post I'm hoping for a serious upgrade for the jag suspension wise and just before I take the jag to the nurburgring with mates in a month :)

16. BenRice

BenRice Well-Known Member

Can't help but smile seeing that thing doing the most un-Jag thing possible lol

Name & shame the drift snobs

As for suspension, what is the design? Double wishbone? Macpherson strut?

I think this would be a great example of how versatile HSD's can be..... (DW staff can chime in at any point now)

• Like Like x 1
  17. woods1

woods1 Active Member

Hmmm, yea the drift snobbery incident was hilarious and equally pathetic at the same time lol.

It's a double wishbone set up, it's basically exactly the same as a is200 setup, and they are both very similar weights so spring rates should be perfect.
    I was tempted to go for some hsd coilovers but they aren't cheap (they are very well priced for what they are but still 600-800 quid haha)

I'm also unsure if they need modifying or not, so rather no start cutting up prime coilovers, maybe driftworks could sponsor the best jaguar drift car around haha.

Next post will detail coilovers install, I'm pretty sure from my research it should be a straightforward job to adapt.

18. BenRice

BenRice Well-Known Member

My point exactly. Might give them something different for their Youtube channel.....

*Starkey walking towards camera, waving his hands around awkwardly*

"Today we're going to show you how versatile our HSD products are and put coilovers on this amazing example of British automotive brilliance"

*Monty Python "and now for something completely different" veme*

Etcetera etcetera

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. antz

antz Active Member

Bloody love this car. Saw an S Type in green yesterday and did think "hmmmm drift car, rolling like a Sir".

Theres always drift snobbery from someone. If you have an E36 you're another dickhead in an E36 who can't afford a decent car. Have an expensive Japanese car and you're just a dickhead with too much money. You can't please everyone but in the end if you're happy then thats what counts......and I love seeing the pics of this thing sideways.

I'm having the same suspension problem in my E36. The FK's just don't fill me with confidence and it is very wallowy when drifting but HSD prices have all of the anal bleeding....even though they are worth it, it pains me.

20. woods1

woods1 Active Member

Haha, yes! Can we get Phil Morrison on the phone or dw on here to arrange this please haha.