Gunny's learning curve

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by Gunny, May 3, 2017.

1. Gunny

Gunny New Member

Thought I'd start a build thread, not done one since the performance Nova group way back when.

So late January/early February last year my Silvia landed in the UK after being sourced and imported for me by Drift Street Imports. My plans were minimal as I was just happy to finally have a PS! All I wanted to do was ditch the aftermarket aero kit and work wheels for a more subtle, OEM look. OEM aero was the plan along with a set of uber rare crimson splits I purchased. The car (white one) featured in a ML video being driven from the docks to DSi:

And the crimson wheels

IMG_8622.JPG
    IMG_8620.JPG

I drove it for some time in its original guise until I failed to get my cavalier turbo ready for last year's nurburgring trip. The Silvia had to step up to the plate. I bought a rough standard rear bumper and sold the complete body kit to pay for a replica OEM aero front bumper from south America. This turned out to be a bad decision with the bumper being such poor quality and did not fit in the slightest, but there was no going back so it was hacked up and forced upon the car:

IMG_0219.JPG

At this point I also fitted a Cusco 6 point bolt in cage and stole the AD08's from my cavalier. Refurbed a seized pair of S14 front calipers and fitted DS2500 front pads. Fitted driftworks braided brake lines and filled the system with high temp brake fluid. Serviced the gearbox with shock proof gear oil, gave her a full engine service and fitted driftworks subframe and rear knuckle poly bushes. While having the car tracked and 'set up' it became clear my ride height and standard arms wouldn't allow for any decent geometry but it was already too late, so off to the ring I went with around -3 degrees camber either side on the rear! Despite this she performed faultlessly. I was massively impressed with the handling and even the grip with such poor geometry.

IMG_0118.JPG

Random shot next to an abandoned building in France

IMG_0298.JPG

After such a good trip in the Silvia and being so impressed by it I had lost near all love and motivation for the cavalier. This resulted in me going all out with the PS, new coilovers were a must and first on the list so I took a trip over to DW for a set of CS2's

IMG_0440.JPG IMG_0447.JPG

I also fitted a front mount and boost controller. I wanted more grip, so the CS2's were followed by geomasters and front to back DW arms. Also the front discs were slightly warped from.ring and the rears looked worse for wear so I bought some EBC USR grooved S14 discs all round and converted the car to 5 stud:

FB_IMG_1493556244071.

IMG-20170322-WA0000.

IMG_20170322_213523.
    Also, quite noticeable, EP Racing 'JJ style' over fenders and 17x9, et18 'monster sport GTR face' regamasters from JDM Distro

IMG_0663.JPG

Running 17's over rear Geo's posed clearance issues with the lower spindle. I had to cut the castle off of the castle nuts and drill and pin them in order for the wheels to clear. I must take more pics!

The added lock on the front and 245 wide tyres obviously fouled the inner arches, this set back meant I wasn't making it to a trackaddict track day at Rockingham in time on the 25th march so I bought this little tool on the 24th!

FB_IMG_1490428668025.

And the Silvia was away to my mate for tubs

IMG-20170411-WA0008.
    IMG-20170411-WA0012.
    IMG-20170411-WA0011.
    IMG_20170412_191914.

I'm more than impressed with what he's done, he even made a battery tray for the battery to sit behind the headlight.

The added wheel clearance brought me on to my last issue, tie rods! Along with the Geo's, I have offset rack spacers. With these on, my standard S13 rods and ends were way too long causing massive toe in and without, slightly too short. After some head scratching, noob posting and measuring I decided on Z32 rods with S14 ends, which has worked :D. So this is how she sits now, I'll be getting some spacers and adjusting the ride height then going for geo set up. Also, cosmetically it now has brick headlights, OEM Silvia grill and a rocket bunny style front bumper and rear diffuser to go on with the aim of reducing lift, this may be accompanied by a duck tail soon too

IMG_20170502_133429.

IMG_0115.JPG

#1 Gunny, May 3, 2017
    Last edited: May 3, 2017
  2. Gunny

Gunny New Member

3. spin-king

spin-king Active Member

Liking it nice build. Mine came with ugly aero to so drifted/crashed it off for new oem stuff.

4. Gunny

Gunny New Member

Thanks spin-king, any pics?

I must update more! Though I have been distracted by a couple of new toys. Here is a pic of how the car looked

IMG_20170703_211941.

The Bricks needed some repair/reconstruction (obviously) a couple of pics of the repair in progress, I didn't take finished photos because I'm useless but it worked quite well

IMG_0786.JPG
    IMG_0787.JPG
    IMG_0788.JPG
    IMG_0789.JPG

Unfortunately not long after going back together she suffered a head gasket failure. I removed the head, had it skimmed and cleaned it up, re-lapped in the valves and ordered a cometic street pro gasket set from FR Sport along with some tomei rocker stoppers. I have also started fitting up my APW Manifold and Owens HTA71 turbo with tial external gate etc, I'll try to remember to get some pics next time I'm in the garage

IMG_20180310_160909.
    IMG_20180316_153837. IMG_20180408_132905.

Also finally managed to get my hands on an OEM aero kit which I'm really happy about! It even has all the original mounting tabs on the sideskirts etc! This also means I'll of successfully turned my car in to a generic multi colored s-body

IMG_20180408_122152.

• Winner Winner x 1