Some hanging AE86...

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by mj86, Oct 27, 2016.

1. lewby

lewby Member

Glad to see this being tydied up :). Top work

• Like Like x 1
  2. mj86

mj86 Member

Been a few weeks since a did an update, so here we go chaps.

So we got the rear quarter finished up, arch all on, welded, a skim of fibreglass filler and then some body filler to smooth it all out.

We also decided to cut another portion out of the quarter, an area of it was all dented and creased. So we used my old drivers door and cut a section out of that and put it in the quarter, finished article looks great.

IMG_0605.JPG

IMG_0608.JPG

IMG_0752.JPG

We also decided to address the issue of my cross member, something which wasn't originally part of my plan. But looking at it more we realised that inbetween the bends and creases there were a few cracks. So we set about cutting it out...

IMG_0781.JPG

We then cut the brackets for the castor arm mounts and the radiator mounts off the old cross member, and mounted them to the box section we were using. We also created a small bumper support to run off the new box. We also put in a tow hook, which is ideal as it means I don't have to run a gash tow strap. All in all, a job well done I'd say.

IMG_0789.JPG

A lick of paint and it all looks brand new...

IMG_0796.JPG

And this is all for now, hopefully be turning it round during the week and getting the other side started

IMG_0808.JPG

• Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  3. Bu11et

Bu11et Well-Known Member

Loving the updates man! Love this car, keeping it simple is the best option!

• Like Like x 1
  4. mj86

mj86 Member

Cheers man, this it, keep it simple and have fun!

5. mj86

mj86 Member

Been a while again...

So last time I'd just got one side ready, we got to the turn around point. Which was also the first time in 6 months it had moved under its own steam.

IMG_0843.JPG

So there it is, spun round the other way to complete the work on the passenger side.

IMG_0871.JPG

A lot less work on this side as I hadn't crashed it. So just cut the arch out and make the e46 arch fit, a blob of filler and we are off.
    Also fitted a different passenger door, due to the outer skin being a bit crumpled. What we didn't realise though. Was that there wasn't really much to the inner skin...

IMG_0906.JPG

So we decided to cut the bottom off my old drivers door, and whack it on this one, turned out pretty well

IMG_0909.JPG

Didn't actually get a finished picture, so that's the best you're gonna get here.

I also wanted a boot spoiler, but as you can probably tell, I'm not in to spending money. It's pretty much a scrapyard build, not to everyone's taste, but it works for me. I got given an old boot spoiler by a pal of mine, and set out making it work. This is what we come up with...

IMG_0938.JPG

Made of couple of brackets out of road sign angle, job done, will be riveted to the boot lid.

Also got it out on to the drive to get bits rubbed down, and tested and get a proper look at it

IMG_0973.JPG

Mega happy with the whole thing, kit was a bit of a pain as we've realised it's made for something with wider wings and overfenders, but I've made it work and am mega happy with the whole thing.

So it's pretty much ready for paint now, which means it's nearly ready for the road, cannot wait!

• Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  6. Bu11et

Bu11et Well-Known Member

Looks ace man!! love it

• Like Like x 1
  7. mj86

mj86 Member

Sooooo,
    IMG_1178.JPG
    She's done...

MOT Friday, and then that's it, back on the road after 7 long months.
    IMG_1190.JPG

IMG_1185.JPG

That is all.

8. Bu11et

Bu11et Well-Known Member

Looks great man! You got any drift events planned? STL perhaps?

9. mad.matt

mad.matt Well-Known Member

^^^^^
    DO IT!

10. jon07043278

jon07043278 Well-Known Member

11. frakey79

frakey79 New Member

love this. good work!

12. 5M0K3

5M0K3 New Member

Break, fix, break, fix, break, fix...LOL... Love it! Nice work!

• Like Like x 1
  13. mj86

mj86 Member

Nothing planned yet, waiting till pay day then I'll get something booked up man

14. mj86

mj86 Member

Been a while, not a lot has been occurring tbh. Just enjoying having the car back on the road.

I took the plunge and purchased a new set of BC Racing coilovers, 8/6kg springs. Honestly mega impressed with them. Only swapped the Greddys out because one was bent, but so glad I did, it's transformed the car completely.
    IMG_1444.JPG

So I'd got all the parts to fit them, new bearings etc, then the day before I planned to fit, my box died. Driving on the motorway, sitting at 70, heard a small thud and the revs just went up, assumed it had popped out of gear, but nope, I had no drive at all.

Whipped the box out a couple days later to find this...
    IMG_1507.JPG

The input shaft had just snapped clean off. Nice clutch allignment tool though. Due to not being able to find a new box near by or for reasonable money. I ended up getting an old box that had ruined a gear. Input shaft was fine, so stripped both boxes and made one good one. Chucked in a new exedy organic clutch while I was at it, just because I've split the engine and box twice now and didn't want to tempt fate again!

Pretty much up to scratch on car related issues now. And I've actually managed to book a skid day! Rockingham on the 28th of August, is an infield day, so is fast, but all learning and all seat time. I'm looking forward to doing some slides again.

IMG_1650.JPG

15. Zaidan

Zaidan New Member

This was such an amazing build, and loads of inspiration for my own projects. You've just become a personal hero of mine dude!

• Like Like x 1
  16. mj86

mj86 Member

Ah man! Thankyou, means a lot!

17. mj86

mj86 Member

So standard week before a drift day stress!

Exhaust flexi on the manifold decided to shit itself, took manifold off, found many other cracks. Replaced flexi, welded up the cracks, now on new manifold hunt!

Found a leak from my rack, decided to do a last minute backyard manual conversion, I'll probably be lynched in the 86 world, but cheapo things. Will see how I like/hate it!

Also found the rear seal on the box is leaking, so plan is to just keep topping it up until I decided to sort it!

STRESS! But still stoked to slide again!

IMG_1787.JPG

18. DaveM

DaveM flickwandoops

Been following this on Instagram, beautiful car. I was skeptical about BCs as I always thought they were cheap stuff with a bigger price tag, but I put them on my 86 and was blown away when I drove it for the first time at the weekend.

Where'd you get your ally radiator from btw? I've got a standard one and temps were getting pretty hot towards the end of a 5 min run.

• Like Like x 1
  19. mj86

mj86 Member

Ah nice to know it's being followed man, and thanks for your compliment. I've heard a lot of things about the BCs and so happy I got them, awesome bit of kit and looking forward to properly testing it on Monday.

My rad is just an eBay cheapo job, literally searched AE86 radiator on eBay, did cheapest first, and that's what I got. £120, had to move the bottom mounts a smidge, so it's not ideal, but it's decent enough apart from that.

20. mad.matt

mad.matt Well-Known Member

Driftworks used to do a Supercool one here but they don't seem to have them listed anymore :(