Need some help with E36 Parts Suggestions. Budget spending.

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by ShawnSlide, Sep 2, 2017.

1. ShawnSlide

ShawnSlide New Member

Hello all. I'm new to the forums here and new to drifting and this is my first post. I'm from New Jersey USA. So i picked up this 1992 E36 325i 4door 5 speed for pretty cheap and i'm going to have about $1600 USD to throw at it. So some of the first mods will be Coilovers, seat, and weld the LSD. Although it has a 25% factory LSD in it i'm sure its pretty weak and tired because the car has 200k miles on it.

Does anyone have suggestions on what Coilovers to purchase? And maybe some other goodies to make the E36 a good drift car? I could spend about 1000$ on coils the have about $600 to spend on the rest of the stuff. Or i could get cheaper coil overs and have more money to spend elsewhere. I do want to spend some money to freshen it up a bit because it is older. Rad, hoses, water pump, tstat and that sort of stuff. But... Should i buy 500 or 1000$ coilovers? Hmmmmmm

This car is not my daily driver so it's a fun/drift car only. I've got half the car stripped out already.

2. ShawnSlide

ShawnSlide New Member

3. Saddened

Saddened Member

I recently started from scratch so I can tell you from my experience, DON'T fix things that aren't broken. Doing maintenance is very important, but don't change pipes that are holding, don't replace bushings that aren't worn etc. Do it when they brake. Main reason is financial, don't spent money you don't have to, considering tight budget. Also it is time consuming. That time is supposed to be used at the track.

I know some BMW LSDs can be rebuilt to lock better, so maybe look into it so you don't weld a really good diff if you could pick up an open one to weld instead.
    Also, if this will be your gutted drift car to just use on the track for learning I don't thin it would be a mistake to buy cheap ebay coilovers for couple hundred. I have HSDs, which are around a 1000 new and I must say if I was buying again I would aim for cheapest possible or much more expensive. I am honestly not impressed with how they feel and if all 1000 range coilovers feel the same, then they might as well be 300 dollar ones. As far as feeling goes. Not commenting on the quality here.

Try not to spend your entire budget right away, random expenses WILL surprise you later.

4. MSmith

MSmith New Member

Hi.
    Go for the cheaper ebay coilovers as they will do the job just fine. Dont replace whats not broken. And dont try to put all fancy stuff like buttons and external gauges just because you seen it in some fancy drift gp car, honestly cheap coilovers, welded higher ratio diff, strip all inside out, get decent hydraulic handbrake with decent cylinder, some comfy bucket seat, proper harness , good comfortable steering wheel and youre good to go. 2.5 litre should be more than fine for fun skids, once you learn to control the car then you will know what mods are must at that moment. ✌(And some decent cooling as original one sucks)

5. ShawnSlide

ShawnSlide New Member

eBay coils? I don't know about that. I'm new to BMW and drifting not new to cars and tuning them. Most eBay coils that I have looked at don't have a proper spring rate for a BMW or it's not even listed. Coil overs just seem like one thing to not buy the cheapest. I don't plan on buying the most expensive either. I feel like 1000$ For them is a compromise.

6. MSmith

MSmith New Member

Well, majority of people runs budget coils and have no problems (including myself). Why would you want to put 1k in coils for first drift car which you will probably end up changing later on anyway. Do some research on youtube theres loads of people who explains is it worth to put expensive coils on first drift car. Do what suits you to be fair but you asked a question and people answered. Proper spring rate? Thats why you amend it yourself on the coil and by the way of you stripping all the car out your original spring rate will be too high anyway as youre taking away the weight.

7. Andy318ti

Andy318ti Active Member

Buy bc's then fit and forget.
    Ebay coils won't take the abuse of drifting for very long and as you say springrates are unknown.
    Bc's come with adjustabe top mounts better than adding washers to the hub for camber.
    Buy bc's, weld the diff, fully polybush the car (as and when stuff starts to fail) a wheel and a seat.
    Try to learn without a handbrake too.

#7 Andy318ti, Sep 4, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Adefleuriot

Adefleuriot New Member

Hi guys im new to the drift world too (e36 coupe sr20det engine)and I was wondering if any of you have heared of gecko g racing coilovers? I tried to look for reviews but cant find any. Apparently its a tawain made coilovers ( good quality) . They cost in the 1000$ range but the dealer here in Mauritius is offering me a 50% discount deal.

Thanks anyway

9. Saddened

Saddened Member

With thw usual margin of 40% I doubt he has 50% to give. Which esentially means they are not 1000ish to begin. Stick to the 5 or so more known brands

• Like Like x 1
  10. MarcoB

MarcoB New Member

Adefleuriot they look like the maxpeedingrods coilover, just with different colours..i run them in my 328 they are not too bad, but don't expect anything more than a cheap coilover kit..i have the adjustable ones, uniball in front camber plates were shit from new and i had to modify them, rear shocks are way too short, and rear springs are way too soft. In the rear i'm now on some bilsteins and m3 oe springs, waiting for something stiffer

• Like Like x 1