18 x 9.6 Which size and brand of tyre?

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by Wheelspinner, Sep 22, 2017.

1. Wheelspinner

Wheelspinner New Member

Looking to replace the tyres on the Bee* R 324, wheels size is 18 x 9.5.

Don't want too much of a stretch so was thinking of going with either a 255 35/40 or a 265 35/40.

Car is more road biased so need some suggestions on some non ditch finders like the Kumho or Federal ?

2. BenRice

BenRice Well-Known Member

What have you had before? Is it 4wd or 2wd? Drifting at all or not?

265/35 all round is a good size if it's 4wd and not used for drifting

265/35 rear and 255/35 front is a good compromise for a 2wd street car, but i'd go as small as a 235/40 up front if it had clearance restrictions due to lock and look to run a softer compound.

If you think Federals are ditch finders (what model?) then consider Toyo's R1R - it's a good in between a semi slick and a passenger tyre with a 200 treadwear

Otherwise you almost start getting into semi slick territory, and running any of them on the road is a little iffy, especially in the wet

3. Wheelspinner

Wheelspinner New Member

Apologies wrote that in a bit of a rush the car came with a set of awful cheap tyres ( which probably explains why it got crashed in the first place)

Its 2wd and will be more street that drift.

Federal 595 RSR or Toyo R1R where my first thoughts. I have a pair of 255/35 Toyos in the garage for the front but I had a set on my MX5 and wasn't too impressed with them.I then swapped to Rainsport 3's.

I will probably go with 255/35s on the front and 265/35/40 on the back.

4. BenRice

BenRice Well-Known Member

595 RSR is pretty good tbh, and if you're considering a 140 treadwear then maybe consider some of the semi slicks. I've had experience with the following but only really on track:

Achilles 123 - softest compound of the bunch here, grips well but won't last ages. Good wet weather grip for a semi too. Considered the bench mark semi by many in drifting
    Nitto NT05 - oldest design of the bunch, slightly harder than the 123 so will last longer, not as good wet weather performance
    Nitto invo - soft af so grippy af but pricey af. Awesome looking tread pattern too
    Nankang NS2R - harder again than the NT05 but a lot cheaper. Poorer wet weather performance than the NT05
    Advan AD08R - comparable to the NT05 for performance in dry, better in wet. Can be hard to find for reasonable $
    Westlake RS - best bang for buck, hold together well but not the grip of the 123. My pick for a street car, especially on the rear

No experience with the Zestino's yet but all accounts are coming up positive.

Outside of semi slicks you've got the Toyo sport tyre range, Federal's and not much else tbh when considering grip levels.

I actually rate the old model Neuton NT5000 as a grippy passenger tyre. The tread design has MASSIVE blocks on it, with grip comparable to my T1R's once warmed up. But you're looking for something with more grip again than these