Quiet skid practice locations

Thread in 'Drifting Chat / Pictures / Videos' started by KillboSlaggins, Nov 6, 2017.

1. KillboSlaggins

KillboSlaggins Active Member

Again, valid points I hadn't considered

2. mad.matt

mad.matt Well-Known Member

Approaching karting circuits is a real possibility and can work well.
    Driftland started off as a fun test day on a kart track and then expanded into what it is now and we've also had drift days at a Karting track up at Golspie.

The main issues are when drift cars go off track, they take a lot of the grass with them (and if it gets worse, chunks of surface). As long as the land owner/ground keeper is well aware of this fact and you give them something to make sure they are happy with the inevitable, you're gold :)

3. KillboSlaggins

Good to know dude, i'll focus on Camberely and see if I can arrange a meeting or something with the owners.

If I get a response from my letter i'll be sure to let people on here know so those with experience with track issues ect can put forward suggestions to the track owner like you just mentioned :)

4. r3k1355

r3k1355 Well-Known Member

Check what their insurance/licencing regulations are like, some places might have more flexibility with what they can do, so ring round a few places and see.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Saddened

Saddened Member

I swear I thought about buying land and laying a track already, while it is expensive it is worth it because you can cover the expenses by renting it out. It would not work because of the same reasons it wouldn't work to just go to an empty estate with permision. Neighbors, jealous kart/track owners, bird watchers, overprotective fat mothers of 7 in crocs and a minivan, anyone really, would shut you down before you did a test run. I am surprised you have as many tracks/karting tracks as you do as is.

Guys are a little negative because they are realistic. Don't get discouraged though, you are not looking for a rule, you are looking for an exception. From 50 possible places you ask you only need a few that let you try your luck. And of the few you only need one where you will have everyones support.

Ask you local policemen on the street too. Where do they suggest you go? What do you need to take care of to be left alone where you do your thing (with permission). It will also be easier to get a place if you include police imput on the matter. If you are not happy with the answer, look for the next cop. Surely there is an enthusiast among them that will understand your predicament.

6. KillboSlaggins

- Another Update -

A track has got back to me an offered hire which is awesome. The area they have offered isn't huge but it's big enough for low speed control which to honest sounds better for learning to me. I need to provide them with risk assessments which sounds a bit taxing but might be worth pursuing.

If this develops more and me and a couple of mates give it a go, it's my plan to potentially attend on a regular basis and hopefully gain the track owners' trust and interest. They might end up making it into some kind of event now and then who knows! Probably getting ahead of myself here but just nice to get some positive feedback.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Saddened

Saddened Member

Very happy for you.

In the risk assessment make sure to somehow include experience of other tracks that do it already. Also provide example layouts with danger zones and run out zones poaitioned strategically. Include a speed limit 9n entry and exain how you will enforce it. Say you will all have insurance. Say how much damage you can pay for from pocket at any time. Offer to always have your own steward there (anyone in a yellow jacket making sure no one is doing stupid shit like walking across track when a car is in motion). Make it seem like they have nothing to worry about because you thought of everything. Also start hoarding tyres to protect certain corners and areas with your own sweat and money.

8. holdawayt

holdawayt Member

So you're paying to rent out a small area of a track in the hope that eventually it grows into an event?

Wouldn't it be easier to save up for another month and go on an actual track day? Where you'll have access to the full track etc.

Track days aren't that expensive. It's the tyres and fuel that add up.

9. mad.matt

mad.matt Well-Known Member

Get Mitto on the case, he's amazing at finding danger zones.
    Danger Zone 3.JPG

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Saddened

Saddened Member

He is paying to have a place to go whenever he wants for as long as he has time to practice. An hour at a time.
    Events are great, but you can't spend a few hundred and a whole weekend spinning out and in the gravel 300km from home.

11. KillboSlaggins

hahaha best bit of outsiders! Looking at a trip to Ebisu sometime soon!

12. KillboSlaggins

Drift days aren't cheap either, and like you said it's the journey that's expensive. The track I'm talking with are 20 minutes away. Plus it's a private rent so track time will be off the scales between 4 or 5 of us.

It's less of an "event" and more of a casual practice on an evening or weekend morning

13. Maverick Smith

I was considering a drive event... However I did not like the idea of throwing myself and my car (It's clean not a bag) round a track when I don't really know how to drift properly and with others around myself. I have been to a drag and drift to watch and 99% of the cars drifting were hanging, falling apart and colliding with each other. I can appreciate not all drift days/tracks/cars are like this but that is just the local track to me.

I would much rather have a place where I can practice transfers etc on my own with nobody to hit and where I can relax because there is not 100 pair of eyes watching me fail...

14. KillboSlaggins

Completely appreciate where you're coming from bud, I'm the same really. Although I will say DWYB days have 3 different tracks depending on experience and I believe the beginners area is one at a time around some cones with plenty of space?

I think the majority of beginner drifters will be in a similar situation and I would have thought most will be helpful and encouraging as we all share the same passion. Obviously there's always going to be that one dickhead who thinks he's god's gift and will put you down but fuck it, can't let one prick stop you from doing what you want!

15. Maverick Smith

Where is DWYB? I’m down in Devon so there isn’t much going on down here as far as tracks, there are old airfields where events are held but drifting on uneven concrete doesn’t appeal much to me as I like my car too much for that kinda abuse!

16. ali///art

ali///art Member

48389355-7517-4DC4-BEBA-7AE3D8F4E370. Have you tried Ringwood Raceway? 30miles from you and have insane amounts of tarmac covered land, an active banger oval and an active kart track too. They used to do drift days about 10 years ago last time i was down there.

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. Maverick Smith

Is that near Bournemouth?

18. ali///art

ali///art Member

It is, however my post is aimed at the OP not yourself. Plymouth is miles from everywhere.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. s14south

s14south Member

As above matchams is good for some mid week seat time around this way. theyve got the track to the left on that picture which has a bit of run off if you dont fancy risking it on the oval. have a look for the drift amigos on facebook they organise it

• Informative Informative x 1
  20. KillboSlaggins

Drift what you brung is at santa pod near Northampton

• Dislike Dislike x 1