Noise restrictions at santapod

Thread in 'Drifting Chat / Pictures / Videos' started by DaveyK, Jun 9, 2012.

1. Lex

Lex www.dwyb.co.uk

Articsponge,

Thanks for taking the time to share your views.

I have been trying to stress for quite a while now that if we do not take into consideration how our hobby has an impact on those who live near to the places which we practice that alas the few legal places to practice will be forced to shut their doors to drifting.

If you has ever been along to a DWYB event you would know that in every briefing i plead with the attendees to drive responsibly through the local villages. I cannot stress how much it makes my blood boil when i get reports back from local drifter who do live in the villages about the selfish numpties who think they are cool and choose to ignore the request :mad:

This is a key point . Tyre noise is always going to be present. However exhaust noise is something that we can tackle head on.

We as owners of drift cars are responsible to ensuring that we do not antagonise locals by having unnecessarily loud exhausts.

We need to make it trendy for people to have well prepared drift cars with quiet exhausts and totally uncool to have a shed with all the baffles removed.

This alone would mean that the drone of drift cars would not be so bothersome to those who do live nearby and could go a long way to help mend any rifts caused by us partaking in our hobby.

2. Nutter

Nutter Member

I can see where everyone is coming from in this thread from the local to the drifters but I think that the only people that suffer are the people who use Santa pod, if attitudes don't change.

I can't see why extortionately loud exhausts are needed, mines a 325 with a decat (allowed due to age) but I can't see why anyone would want a straight through? Surely where you all live, your neighbours hate you?

Also the people of the village's needs to accept that Santa pod holds many different events and they need to be more accepting of pod and its visitors and as has been suggested before, would you rather a couple of hundred new homes being put onto the site?

3. yiug412

yiug412 Member

I do think noise restriction should apply to all cars going to the Pod. This will prevent the worst thing happening which is Pod shutting down all drifting events. There are loads of smart phone apps that tells you the approx sound level in dB, I'm sure some defined restriction can be applied easily?

Btw the loudest production car now is the Jag F-type with loud button on, and that is still much quieter than 30% of the cars I hear in DWYB....

4. Gibson

Gibson Member

Yea I was told my car was too loud and if it hadn't gone bang i would have been told to quiet it down. Fair do's, it was too loud, it was the first time i had ever used it in anger with an exhaust we had finished building 5am an hour before we left for pod so i completely understand that. I think blaming the noise on sheds with the baffles removed is not remotely fair, jap stuff with massive straight through pipes are easily the loudest things, those are the ones you have to stop conversations while the exhaust is pointing at you and bee-r limiters are just offensive. I understand the need for noise regs, i understand the need for keep the residents happy, but i cant help but wonder if the noise problems are exaggerated by a select few curtain twitching busy bodies when actually a sensible level of noise regulation is more than enough to keep relations between residents and Pod users good?

5. cptsideways

cptsideways Active Member

It's the dickheads who still run BEE-R rev limiters that really ruin it for everyone, these things can be heard miles away & have helped shut many a venue down.

So if you have one do right the thing & throw the bloody thing in the bin

6. Bolf

Bolf Resident Nut Job.

We don't allow it at dwyb at pod

7. ZacKisBacK

ZacKisBacK Member

I would like to say that you guys should be grateful to be able to attend that kind of event we only can dream of here in France.
    Most of our track do not allow drifting for exemple, just a few of them and there getting less and less, mainly due to this noise problem.
    From my point of view, I would do whatever I could to be able to attend those DWYB if we had any!!

8. docwra

docwra Active Member

Its the same problem here though Zack, we are pretty much down to three circuits, Santa Pod and a few oval tracks, its considerably more expensive to hire a track here than in France as well. :(

9. ZacKisBacK

ZacKisBacK Member

I thought it was the other way around in fact... So considering this point you made and the fact that you guys are still lucky enough to have the opportunity to attend those events, I don't see the problem. Just tame those exhaust when it's needed, as it doesn't seem t to be so often needed actually! We all know the end result of this attitude at the end, the locals win, always!

10. drifter17a

drifter17a New Member

I have a 328 and standing the noise is 80db but when revved to 6k it is 107db using my iphone which is a cheap test

With static test, at what rpm do they measure it?

I have seen some notes re exhaust bung, how do they fit?

11. jon07043278

jon07043278 Well-Known Member

Usually static tests are around 2/3 or 3/4 throttle at a distance of 1m, diagonal from the exhaust pipe.

12. smokey1975

smokey1975 Member

as long as the governments get a share of money profit they dont care but for the usual and normal people its u cant do this and that this is a fucking nanny state now mate too many rules for fuck all and regs cant stand all this bitching about this and that jobs work money hungry tossers