6'9" car options?

Thread in 'Drifting Chat / Pictures / Videos' started by Kraven, Jan 18, 2018.

1. Kraven

Kraven New Member

Hello
    I'm assuming you can tell by the title I am 6'9". Are there any other people on here close to my height and what do you drive with a helmet on? I only ask because after countless hours of searching it appears the average tall person ranges from 6' to 6'5". And we'll 4-9" can make a huge difference in drivability. It should also be known I'm built fairly equal proportions, meaning my legs and torso aren't really longer then the other (an average proportion). That being said I know I can fit in the older generation 300z. The fugly ones from the mid 80's. Is there any other options for us taller folk?

2. BenRice

BenRice Well-Known Member

A good mate of mine is 6' 7" and he competes in an S13. He made a few modifications to the seat position to fit though.

He has said when he had a 4 door (C34 Laurel) he was able to fit much easier by shifting the seat further rearward into the rear passenger footwell.

Every person over 6' 5" have found it easier in 4 door cars, so that's where you should probably start. 4 door cars generally have more head room as well as they don't have sleeker roof lines that coupes tend to have. Being in the US that might make it a bit tricky. Do you have a brand preference?

3. Kraven

Kraven New Member

Hello, I don't have a huge preference as when you are my height you learn not to be too picky. I will say though. I have taken a long to BMW as well as the FC rx7. I do have 2 concerns with BMW though, ofcourse one is room even with a modded seat and the other is price for after market I can see anything for a BMW fetching a higher premium?

4. BenRice

BenRice Well-Known Member

I can tell you from personal experience that the FC RX7 is tiny! I worked for 5 years on a competition FC RX7 and the driver was 6' 1" and we had issues getting even him in it! I'm not saying it can't be done, just that you better be a master fabricator if you do

As for the BMW, why not consider a 5 series? Someone else with experience with them will be better to advise but have a search on here for 540 and 530 examples in the build threads. Finding one up north might not be the best idea though, but finding one in a snowless state further south might be a better idea to give you a better chance at a getting a solid chassis

Food for thought mate

5. Kraven

Kraven New Member

Thanks I had been looking at the 3 series. The 5 series didn't even pop into my head as a potential car. Thanks!

6. Tripp

Tripp Member

Get an mx5 and have your head out the top :D

7. Bolf

Bolf Resident Nut Job.

BMW usually have a lot of room , i have an e90 and i'm 6ft3 but the seat will go further back till i can't fully press clutch

8. Kraven

Kraven New Member

Haha that would be a sight. Get a giraffe mask on my helmet.

9. Kraven

Kraven New Member

Good to know thanks. About how much head room do you have?

10. Andy318ti

Andy318ti Active Member

I'm 6'7" and drive a 318ti. My seat is on weld in rails basically on the floor and plenty headroom.

Would be tight in a standard seat though

11. bkvj

bkvj enden?

I'm 6'11 and have an E34, just modified seat rail that's it. S13 with smaller steering wheel was fine. Fat cunt also that doesn't help.

FC is going to be incredibly tight. Not worth the effort. Years ago I sat in a caged one with buckets. Can't remember how much further the seats could go back but doubt much. On an FD the floor behind seat would need modifying to make the seat go back far enough I'm sure.

12. Bolf

Bolf Resident Nut Job.

plenty with oem sport seats

13. johnnyhillen

johnnyhillen Member

im 6ft 5in and heavy build. Ive driven a s14a for years and even with the standard seat the whole way back it still a bit tight with my legs knees touching the steering wheel on both sides, not great for quick steering. head rooms not too bad. i prob have 3-4 inches. With the seat modified to slide further back and an extention on the steering wheel it should work for you. bucket seat would help also