For Sale Eunos MX5 1.8 | 1.8 | Cat C | no MOT | LSD

Thread in 'Drift cars for sale' started by DanielN, Mar 18, 2018.

1. DanielN

DanielN New Member

Bought this car last week with the intention of getting it MOTd as there is not too much rust for an MX5 as you can see in the pics. Unfortunately when I got the V5 through it had a notice on it saying that it had been previously salvaged. I contacted the seller who says he had no idea and has just paid for a simple HPI check and now says its a Cat C write off. I have no idea what wrote it off but it could have been something small as it obviously doesn't take much to write an old MX5 off.

It probably wouldn't take too much to get this car back on the road but I don't have the space or time to have any unknown problems as I'm a uni student. Now I have considered keeping it as a drift car myself since its got the LSD but thought I'd see if I could make my money back on it first.

Also, if I had access to a trailer I would have taken it to get MOTd to see what actually needs done because it honestly might not need much at all as the previous owner said he's done most of the stuff it failed on previously such as brake lines although I cannot confirm.

The car was initially a 1.6 import euros but now has a 1.8 engine in it. Everything seems to run fine mechanically and the clutch etc seems ok although I've not taken it very quick at all, it doesn't appear to slip or anything. Since it was dropped off I've needed to jump start it each time even after leaving it running for a while (although I never took it on a long drive). I suspect the battery may need replacing as it doesn't seem to hold charge.

The big pros of this specific car is simply the fact that it has a torsen (not sure which one) LSD and the rust isn't too bad. In fact in the MOT history it doesn't seem to have failed on rust at all apart from the brake lines which are said to have been replaced, which as you'll know is quite unusual.

Paintwork isn't the best

One door has a large rust patch but I have another door to replace it although its white

Rust spots on two arches which should be able to be sanded out and painted/filled fairly easily

Sills have a bit of rust on them but seem to be solid enough

The interior looks to be in very good condition with no tears in the seats that I noticed.

Its on coilovers (unsure of brand) which the previous owner said adjust freely

Its got some sort of exhaust (cat back straight through I think he said) which although slightly out of proportion, actually sounds pretty good

Its recently had new 1.8 discs and pads fitted with bleed nipples replaced

I can't even remember the mileage to be honest but I think its around 100000 although it may be a mix of miles and kms. And the engine is on a lower mileage than the body since it was replaced. They seem to be pretty bullet proof engines in these though.

IMG_0045.JPG

In all honesty I'm not all that knowledgable about these or cars in general (bought the car to learn) but have included as much as possible although feel free to ask me any questions and ill get back ASAP and try to answer them.

Located in Perth

Looking for £850, all offers considered

#1 DanielN, Mar 18, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
  2. jajake

jajake New Member

Where abouts are you located?

3. DanielN

DanielN New Member

Up in Perth. Sorry didn’t realise location doesn’t appear on mobile