First ever drift car build 240sx help if you can

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by Kristoff, Sep 9, 2018.

1. Kristoff

Kristoff New Member

Hello, this is going to be my first time ever building a drift car, i dont even know how to drift yet but i definitly would like to learn, i looked into which cars are decent and ive decided to get a 240sx, now my biggest issue is that i have no idea what i would really need for it. Im not rich but i make ok money and i dont mind putting money into the car but i dont want to spend too much. I am aware that id need like a welded diff and i was told to put coilovers on it, the car im getting is a 1992 240sx hatch manual, it has 120k miles on it, should i rebuild the engine and transmission? just buy one from a JDM importer? what else would i need to put on the car to make it a decent drifter but also maybe an OK daily driver? maybe aftermarket control arms to give it that extra control? Any advise or just words of wisdom will be greatly appreciated.

2. BenRice

BenRice Well-Known Member

Advice: just search the forum. Put "nissan first drift car" into the search bar and you'll be inundated with threads for people asking the same question you have and the answers are there. Try different searches like "S13 mods" or "S13 daily" to research more about what you're getting yourself in to. You could spend a couple hours searching this place and be armed to the teeth with all the info you need.

Understand that when you're on a non-US site the 240sx isn't called a 240sx. Use S13 in your searches instead and all the info is exactly the same, bar the engine.

But your specific questions:

Rebuild engine and transmission? If it's not broken, don't fix it. If the engine is broken, buy a replacement from a wrecker (with a warranty)

What else would i need to do to it? Read this: https://www.driftworks.com/forum/threads/the-daily-drift-car.270509. Most of what i've recommended is applicable for you, with the exclusion of the Australia market references (Gumtree, gktech, Fenix etc) and the secondhand coilovers. Go for BC's or Stance if you're in the US

• Like Like x 1
  3. Kristoff

Kristoff New Member

thank you very much! ill look into more of what your recommended, sorry its literally first time ive ever been on a forum aswell, no idea how these things work.