First time importing from japan

Thread in 'Other Chat' started by Jay hawes, Oct 6, 2018.

1. Jay hawes

Jay hawes New Member

Hi all I need some advice. It's been on my mind for a while to import from Japan. Has anybody done this themselves and not through an import company?

I have it in my head to do it but it's a trust situation I don't want send 6000 euro's to a company for a chaser and receive a Sega mega drive.

2. Natthapon

Natthapon Member

I doubt you are going to get a JZ Manual Chaser for 6k these days imported.

3. Jay hawes

Jay hawes New Member

Was just an example :) I'm just looking to know i's it trust worthy to do. What do I need to look out for?

4. eileen

eileen Member

I imported through an agent (JDMauctionwatch) and was very very happy i did. there is so so much paperwork and if anything is missing or incorrect you run the risk of not getting your car at all or have wasted a lot of money... plus, you can rest assured that you are actually getting a car as described, as agents have people in japan that check the cars over for you and give details of any faults etc. there is also the obvious language barrier which should not be underestimated and with an agent is not a problem. Also the time differences which are also hassle.
    I had bid on a lemon at first and my agent cancelled my bid right away and warned me about this car, if he hadn't, i would have been a very depressed, unhappy person at the docks!! I then bid on my DREAM car, auction ended as reserve not met, i was highest bidder, but thanks to the agent taking decisions, post auction he had agreed a price just barely above what i had bid and got my dream car! You cannot get that service and security on your own!!

5. davie-s

davie-s Member

Pretty much this also very happy with the service provided by JDM auction watch pretty painless simple process

• Like Like x 1
  6. GT-ARR

GT-ARR Member

7. chopaholic

chopaholic Well-Known Member

What company in Japan is the car coming from? I have used plenty and never had an issue.

8. Blitz.

Blitz. Member

Dusting off my long dead account to reply to this as I'm going though this was we speak with a manual chaser V no less.

I'm currently using Torque GT in the UK. They have a lot of good reviews, a very professional website and were very responsive with e-mails. I think I spent 3 or 4 months just looking around at local cars and other importers before I went with them.

I'd say one thing to keep in mind if that it's a two way relationship if you treat them with respect it will come back. What I mean is don't dick them (importers) around. Emailing about services and prices are fine and will be needed as neither party want to waste there time but don't expect them to look for cars or give you access to auctions without some sort of token deposit being taken. But don't let that scare you often these can be refunded if it looks like your not going to find a good example in your price range. Just keep in mind most wont even take a deposit unless the goal is achievable. Torque GT sent me an example of what my budget could get and we agree'd to proceed.

Also look into after sales care I didn't want it to just be rego'd I wanted it to have a service and inspection before it would be on the road just encase anything was broken before the long drive home. Also in the UK most if not all insurers want an approved alarm and you'll want some form of rust protection many companies will do that as part of a deal.

Tax is another thing it's a government deal so keep in mind that you'll need to cough up 20% plus any fee's as soon as it's landed. Most importers will give a "landed" price so you'll be taken care of but I'd budget for it anyway.

After you've found your car you need to be 100% sure you want to commit and then give the OK to bid after that there is really no going back. Also you'll be waiting months before seeing it. I won the auction on I think the 30th of sept and I likely wont see it in person till 2019.

now 6K for a chaser? It's going to be a long wait and it's not going to be manual. Maybe if you want a GX I cant say for sure. My factory manual 1999 JZX that's a grade 3.5 with some nice extras cost me substantially more then that. Also on the topic of grades it's subjective what can be a 4 with some minor paint marks will be a 3.5 some place else so read as much of the history as possible. You can find some real gems that way.

Also just try looking locally. I could have saved a fair bit buying the nearest JZX100 but the engine bay was a rats nest of wires and the interior was fine for a tracked drift car but I need to daily it to work so it would end up costing more after I put everything right. But I have noticed some nice Chasers here that I would have gladly taken if I hadn't already bought one.