Skyline r32 problem

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by lesleys14, Oct 15, 2018.

1. lesleys14

lesleys14 Member

hi everyone as title have skyline r32 gtst and recently a couple of times struggled to get in fourth gear
    Then the other day went to get car from garage went into reverse but made a noise is this possibly clutch going have done a few drift days and had exedy stage 1 clutch and lightened flywheel fitted a couple of years ago
    Or could it be diff I have a two way one fitted about 2 half years ago
    Any help please
    Lisa

2. BenRice

BenRice Well-Known Member

Might need a bit more info before trying a diagnosis

When you say struggled to get into fourth gear, does it grind? Or does it feel like there's a wall there? (ie like the clutch isn't depressed)

And what kind of noise did it make when it went into reverse?

3. lesleys14

lesleys14 Member

Hi yea fourth felt like brick wall maybe it was me as tried again today went in fourth no problems
    But reverse sounds like brakes grinding but had them replaced about a month ago and and no problem till recently tho don’t use her daily

4. BenRice

BenRice Well-Known Member

Did reverse make that sound as you were putting it in gear, or as the car was moving in reverse?

It sounds like the clutch might not be disengaging fully. First check your clutch fluid, then if that's topped off then check from the master to the slave for any leaks. Get someone to jump in and push the clutch and look for the amount of travel on the slave cylinder (on the side of the gearbox) and any leaks. If you find anything leaking then replace it and rebleed the system.

If you cover off all of this and everything appears kosher then change your gearbox fluid for a fully synthetic oil. Even a cheap fully synthetic is better than a good semi synthetic.

5. TH3DR1FTB022

TH3DR1FTB022 New Member

Yeah I agree. Also look around and make sure to check the clutch for any abnormalities. Check your parts that you added to see if maybe they're interfering. Watch the clutch cable as well, that could be stretched out or completely broken. Look out for any hydraulic leaks. Could also be any linkage in the clutch general area

6. Vayowin

Vayowin New Member

My old r32 had a similar noise when chucking it into reverse, turned out to be rear pads moving slightly gripping and then obviously resting back into place. Very very minor movement. Turned out to be the spring clip that centers the pad. Replaced the rear pads and she was apples. Obviously not saying that is defiantly the noise but worth a shot first before going to the big stiff. :) Edit: Not the centre clip that holds the pins. The other ones.

7. lesleys14

lesleys14 Member

Hi thanks for all your replies I have had rear brake pads recently fitted
    Did do a drift day the other week and clutch seemed ok though day was cut short by viscous fan blade caught my new alloy radiator so loads of things to sort out will also do new oils with everything