S15 5speed transmission

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by matt_23, Oct 21, 2018.

1. matt_23

matt_23 Member

Picked my S15 up yesterday and the car in the most part is 100% could not be happier.

But there is a couple of things.

1st is there is play in the steering so I'm guessing is the inner or outer tie rod ends need changing? But that was on the not advisory so not too bad.

But the 2nd thing I there is a clunk/judder from the rear end when I'm in a low gear going slow while tuening, never when I'm pulling away slow in a straight line but only tight turning.

I've done some searching on the net but it comes up with too many things and I'm just not sure.

2. counteract

counteract -o=me

Do you have a 1.5 or 2 way diff? If so, it will be that. Have a look on YouTube for the noise, it sounds broken but it isn’t.

If your steering play isn’t your tie rods or ends, check the rack bushes also.

3. matt_23

matt_23 Member

I'm not entirely sure, it's a 1998 Spec S.

Considering it judders the car I'd say it was the diff but only happens when turning slow, my first RWD car so this is new to me.

Thanks

4. counteract

counteract -o=me

That’s the sort of noise an aftermarket diff could make.

• Like Like x 1
  5. matt_23

matt_23 Member

Well it does kind of seem like that yes, but is there anyway I could actually know for sure?

6. smokebillowing

smokebillowing Active Member

If it's only during slow turns, it'll be the diff for sure. Means it's nice and tight (despite the horrid noise)

7. matt_23

matt_23 Member

It'll be a bonus but still would be nice to make sure as I've done some research and it does sound similar to some of the "broken noises".

Could I do the old jack the rear of the car up and spin one wheel and see which way the other spins and I'll know if it's a lsd?

8. KillboSlaggins

KillboSlaggins Active Member

As people have said it's the diff and it's fine. If it makes a horrendous noise all the time then you should check the diff/shafts, but on slow turning that is completely normal for an aftermarket lsd

9. matt_23

matt_23 Member

Ok cool, only reason I'm unsure is I didn't know it even had a aftermarket diff... Also it's new to me so I know nothing

But thanks for the advice.

10. richie_k83

richie_k83 Well-Known Member

Has a Diff, now do a skid! lol

If you want to be 100% sure, you can grab an endoscope/camera and look at the diff inside its casing.

11. matt_23

matt_23 Member

I did a skid, shit my self so I'll definitely be coming to some track days to learn haha.

12. richie_k83

richie_k83 Well-Known Member

lmao! Well, I got plenty of wheels dude, will sort summat out when i have finished the manual conversion :)

13. matt_23

matt_23 Member

Ye man sounds good!

14. matt_23

matt_23 Member

This is the spec s so obviously has the 5 speed, I do plan on changing it to a 6 speed not sure which one but that'll be later on. But is there anyway to bring the revs down on the motorway? Sitting at 70 and the revs at over 3000 gets rather annoying and uses alot of fuel, so is it possible to change the gear ratio on 5th or the final drive or something?

15. BenRice

BenRice Well-Known Member

Final drive is the one to change. But the key to drifting a Spec S is short gears.

Are you planning on going to the track any time soon?

16. matt_23

matt_23 Member

Ahhh right, I do plan on getting some track time in but I will also be converting it to turbo so would be ok to change the final drive then?

I also use the car for weekends away and so on so motorway miles will sometimes happen, just be nice to make it abit more pleasurable on motorways.

17. BenRice

BenRice Well-Known Member

If the plan is to have an "all rounder" then you're best to shoot for a 4.08 or 4.11 ratio. That sounds like what you've got at the moment, but if you've got a 4.363 then it's not the end of the world. Search on here on how to find our what you've got.

What wheel & tyre sizes are you running / planning on running on the road and on the track?

You can actually help your situation out with what wheel & tyre sizes you use on the rear for both road and track. If you go for 18s with a 235/40 or 255/40 for road it will help lower your mway rpm, and 17s with a 215/40 or 205/45 will help shorten your gear ratios, like doing a pseudo diff change. Call it the poor-man's quick change if you will.

Running a 17/18 stagger, as opposed to 18 all round, gives you more flexibility with skid wheels as running 17 rear skid wheels doesn't look goofy af on track as you have the same diameter fronts. On an S15 you can run a chunkier tyre up front on a 17, so better for road driving. Something like a 235/40 or 225/45 gives you more sidewall to help fill the guards and soak up the bumps than a 225/40 or 215/40 on an 18