2jz-gte Vvti wont boost

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by rx7ali, Nov 15, 2018.

1. rx7ali

rx7ali Member

Obviously no idea what the pressure was reading under load as I didn’t have my head in the engine bay

2. rx7ali

rx7ali Member

Couldn’t work out the pin out of the TPS to check the impedance... but did a quick video to show the electronic throttle working.. which is based on the TPS..

3. rx7ali

rx7ali Member

Just took it for a drive with the MAP sensor disconnected and it does the same thing

4. rx7ali

rx7ali Member

Problem solved...

I had mounted the MAF sensor in a spare aluminium pipe which turned out to be the wrong size 2.75” rather than 3”.

My friend knocked up a replacement pipe from stainless..

75AD157B-4D48-49B3-9727-9CF4FADE2C20.

8DACFC03-BD35-4A66-8A34-5D78281D8F3C.

E52D24B4-2DC8-4F77-9573-05B0CC12D085.

The car now pulls fine WOT in any gear and builds boost.

I am now facing a new issue, which I think relates to boost creep from the free flowing exhaust. Planning to fit a restrictor ring and test again

• Like Like x 2
  5. Swampy442

Swampy442 Active Member

Just come to this thread, was going to say 100% flowmeter related, they are very sensitive to pipe diameter and placement. Glad it's sorted.

6. rx7ali

rx7ali Member

Soooo next problem..

Car drives and accelerates much better than before, but under WOT it’s getting fuel/boost/ignition cut at around 5400 rpm. If I ease off throttle a tad I can get it to accelorate fairly hard all the way to the redline.

7. Zammish24

Zammish24 Member

hey did you solve this problem? i've got a 1jz swapped rx7 lol i had the exact same problem when i had a 2jzge swap. it felt like a rev limiter until about 5 k found out the issue to be the MAF wasn't getting any power. theres a black wire with a white stripe that needs power.
    I remember when i had this problem there was no info about the wire on willbo666.
    give it a go you might have done the same as me and didn't power the maf

8. HOMiE7

HOMiE7 New Member

Hi. I have the same problem.

2JZ-GTE VVT-i ETCS-i from Toyota Aristo JZS161 with stock A/T ECU, stock turbos, 3D-printed pipe for MAF-sensor with stock inner diameter 73mm, big frontal intercooler with aluminium pipes and custom stainless steel exhaust without cast-iron outlet. Two 60mm pipes going to one 76mm pipe.

Also R154 manual transmission from Toyota Chaser JZX100 is installed instead of stock automatic transmission (but I still have errors codes about missing A/T solenoids and A/T fluid temp. sensor, and I didn't wire some of PRND2L position, I've only wire-up SP2+ contact to TACH contact through 0,1uF capacitor to bypass speed sensor error, speed limit, and make VVT-i working).

Final gear is 3.9.

When I trying to accelerate with fully depressed accelerator pedal, I've getting some kind of "soft" cut around 5000rpm. I believe that it is ETCS-i throttle clutch has disengaged because of some reason.

On 2nd gear e-throttle closes at about 0,9 bar (approx. 13 psi) of boost.

On 3rd gear e-throttle closes at about 1,1 bar (approx. 16 psi) of boost.

If I release accelerator pedal and kick it back - same thing happens again.

Maybe someone knows solution for that problem? Thanks!