AW11 K20a2 Project Phoenix

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by Lawrenceselly, May 30, 2018.

1. Lawrenceselly

Lawrenceselly New Member

Quick post about what I've been up to, pictures will be coming soon, but with the winter days and a heavy workload there has been more parts gathering than actually putting parts on the car.

So far since I last posted I've:
    • Sandblasted and welded my front crash bar
    • Sandblasted my seat rails
    • Bought and installed a MK3 to K-swap shifter assembly
    • And.. bought these...

9nUGom5.

qnsp1Iy.

A set of Honda Type R Alacantra seats.

Unfortunetly the seat rails on the drivers side have been ground off, because the front mounts actually fit!

lExZW6y.

So I've got to source a new set of front mounts! and also work out how to lower the rears because they are far too high.

However I'm going to test fit them with just the lowered fronts. As you can see from the picture they are about an inch and a half lower, which is perfect.

I also need a shorter seatbelt anchor too as the MK1 ones (left) are far larger than the Civic version (right). Does anyone know if the mk2 ones are shorter (and fit the MK1 seatbelt clasp?)

ALSO

I got my crash bar back, powdercoated grey... I think its the best looking, and strongest one... IN THE WORLD!

7vwVzr5.

That's all for now, hopefully going to finish my painting this week! Got a new compressor too!!!

• Like Like x 2
  2. Lawrenceselly

Lawrenceselly New Member

A little bit more painting has been completed!

I had a day off yesterday to fit them back to the car and do a few more things I've been putting off.

A couple of notes on the other work that has been done:
    • Sold EP3 Type R Seats... The didn't fit!
    • Purchased MK2 leather seats! £30!!
    • Swapped the mounts on the MK2 seats so they fit.
    • Bought a new battery!
    • Installed a USB extension lead from the ECU to the glovebox.

Pictures:

czpJ07b.

MM1FygL.

Only got the bonnet left to paint now, but its needing a lot more sanding and filling than these panels did.

Merry Christmas everyone!

3. Threadmark: paint finished
    Lawrenceselly

Lawrenceselly New Member

It's been 2 years and a lot of rust repairs, bodywork, and stress.

IP658Ho.

But I've got some things left, driveshafts, a couple of brake lines, and some electrical niggles! but not long now!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Lawrenceselly

Lawrenceselly New Member

• Like Like x 1
  5. Lawrenceselly

Lawrenceselly New Member

Quick update.

Completed:
    • Clutch and Brakes
    • Cooling System
    • Engine Management
    • Interior Carpets
    • Seats
    • Suspension and Steering
    • Paint and Bodywork

TODO:
    • Driveshafts
    • Wheel Spacers

1cG9PUf.

cncTUlo.

TejvF2p.

Snagging List (those little things that are a bit annoying but don't need fixing to be on the road)
    • Parasitic battery drain somewhere
    • Wiring needs looming up a bit better
    • No speakers yet, got to put some in.
    • Needs Stickers!!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Lawrenceselly

Lawrenceselly New Member

Hi everyone,

I’ve been so happy driving my creation I’ve neglected to finish this build log, until now!

I’m going to borrow a GoPro and get some filming done soon and I will post the results here too.

So yeah! Done!
    I mean, it’s not done done, but it’s on the road.

So; the big day I was waiting for: Axle fitting!

R1tIluy.

It all fits!

3Y1AM2U.

Just...

4Q1HXhC.

But with some minor adjustments to how the exhaust lambda sensor was mounted it fit, and she moved under her own power for the first time in 11 years.

Then the big day.

wCbMalB.

3cI6tOE.

She passed the MOT with the minimal adjustments. Just bulbs that I had forgotten to install, and a few lights missing on the cluster,

There’s still loads left to do, but every day I’m so happy to drive to work. She starts first time, on the money, and does 40mpg! Also out of pure coincidence a colleagues car broke down so his father in law let him borrow his Duce!

Happy car park in the morning!

QAPnxZH.

• Like Like x 3
  7. redwood

redwood Member

Very nice indeed!
    Fun little cars, I have a supercharger same year as yours with a lot of the rust too.
    Do you have any videos of it running?

8. Lawrenceselly

Lawrenceselly New Member

Hi all, Covid update 01

Video, pre-Covid.

[video=youtube_share;UqHK1cMXTDo]

I had 2 months of worry free driving, but the short trips to work and back were hiding a BIG issue.

Headgasket...

I embarked on a long trip, only about 40 miles, and some Steam, a leak, and a recovery truck sent me home again.

uwCBJQP.

So over a month, I took the train to work and did what I should have done when I first got the engine. Took the head off and skimmed it.

Q5ubEej.

AND installed ARP bolts :D for Safe-T :friendly_wink:

LBm5cgg.

I also took this time to make my active exhaust valve system. Using a 12v input, a relay, and an arduino.

eoBTwrb.

I also took to a spot of Special Stage historic rallying with my Uncle, in a Mini we restored together.

ORk95aK.

But now, we're back on the road!

vH76su6.

A few things are still left over
    • I've still got to revise the coolant plumbing. The way I had it running was not the best.
    • I still need some rear wheel spacers, or something to hide the massive arch gap!
    • My suspension is so harsh with the coilovers, and I would really like to go back to stock.
    • The interior trim needs a complete overhaul, but luckily I've bought a complete blue interior from a guy in Manchester.
    • Need to refurbish my seats.

So still plenty happening! Hopefully it will be properly on the road for when i actually return to work, post lockdown!

9. Threadmark: New Interior
    Lawrenceselly

Lawrenceselly New Member

Covid Update 02:

Going to try and post my escapades more frequently.

I prefer taking photos to making videos, and I managed to take a few today.

I found an almost complete blue interior near Manchester, and after lockdown was eased I stole the Mrs' car and drove up their in the sunshine.

This is what I came back with

4o1pQuX.

You'll remember the interior as it stands.
    My botched efforts to flock the dash.
    My vein attempt to carbon wrap the glovebox...
    And all the missing pieces from when it picked apart in the scrap yard.

ygoG8Ja.

Well after a lot of scrubbing, and figuring out where a few things go... which I had never fitted before. One blue-ish interior.

5ZwEezI.

veQrTOO.

H3sGPQ0.

H0sCx7T.

I've still got a bit to do in here before it's done.
    Next on the list is the center console piece, as I had to modify it a lot to get the mk3 shifter to fit.
    But now I know that with my current setup, the OEM cables and shifter will fit, I'm holding off installing that piece until I acquire a set.

I've also got to find a few little piece of trim for the doors, and get the seats re-upholstered. But it's getting there!

Until next time!

10. Supra Gaz

Supra Gaz Member

Awesome build! I love the colour, congrats on building what you want and sticking to it over 2 years.