Car paint not drying

Thread in 'Other Chat' started by aarondim, Jul 11, 2017.

1. aarondim

aarondim Member

Hi guys as title iv just painted my s13 with 2k paint and for some reason the clear is still tacky after 4 days of just been sat in the shed. Used all the correct measurements when mixing etc I haven't used a oven just a diy job.
    Anyone know any ways to it to dry faster or is it just a waiting game?

2. dan_gsxr

dan_gsxr Member

have you used the correct hardener? 2k will dry in this heat in a hour...

list what you mixed and we can go from there bud.

a colleague of mine once added thinners instead of hardener... alot of thinners and washing off was required!

3. aarondim

aarondim Member

Used a brand of eBay for the paint and the clear, primer was lecher paint was 2-1 gave it 4 coats clear was 2-1 also give it 4 coats personally I think I could of done the clear to fast instead of waiting until was fully dry as I'm no pro and don't really know wah I'm doing but it looks amazing lol just want it to dry! I ain't been down the unit today to get it out as work but it's been a bit bad with the weather up north last few days apart from today we get sun

20170707_150154_zpsxkomjrhb.

4. tiredhero

tiredhero Member

did you not use a hardener?

5. aarondim

aarondim Member

Yea 2-1 clear with hardener nd 10% thinners I'm going to the unit today so I'll push it outside as it's a nice day so far if it's not already dry it's been sprayed 1 week today so if it's not dry now will I have to take it all off or is there another Way?

6. dan_gsxr

dan_gsxr Member

if its still not dry by now mate, its never doing to...

get pictures of what you mixed together. sounds like something isnt compatible.

in my experience its all got to come back off...

7. r3k1355

r3k1355 Well-Known Member

Standard 2K paint or was it the newer 2K isocyanate free paint thats on the market?

8. aarondim

aarondim Member

It's all dry now what a pain!! I couldn't tell u guys what sort of paint etc was I just got the full package off eBay apart from the primer paint was pics thin and clear was to buy it's turned out ok. Cut&buff next hopefully do it right lol

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. s13silvia

s13silvia doughnut muncher

Glad it's hardened but in future I'd stay away from ebay (it's not the only shop in the world) and pay a little more purchasing from someone like Jawel

Also the cold of winter can be harsh on a fresh paint job, better to leave it in the warmth of your garage for a few weeks, that's not personal advice just from a bodyshop guy i know.

10. KevlarRx7

KevlarRx7 Member

Also depends on if it's water based or waterborne or old fashioned solvent. The newer water based stuff needs plenty of ventilation and fans to get it to dry. (And legally speaking you can't get solvent unless the car is over 30 years old now)

11. Doyler91

Doyler91 New Member

Mostly used an non air drying harder