Digital display dash.

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by davidhynes36, Jan 4, 2019.

1. davidhynes36

davidhynes36 New Member

Hi all,
    I am a new member to this forum but I have been using it for some research and have found it very useful. I am in the process of starting a project, a Triumph Dolomite with a CA18DET engine fitted into it. I have sourced an engine and a guy who has done a couple of these conversions. My final goal is to have the inside fully stripped out and roll caged. One of the things I was looking at is I would love a digital dash fitted. The Race Technology DASH2 is the one I would like to fit eventually but looks like it wouldn't be a straight forward fit due to this engine not having an OBD2 port. Has anyone on here fitted a DASH2 display with this engine or a similar digital display to this engine.

Thanks.

2. Andy318ti

Andy318ti Active Member

Use a standalone ecu for optimum tuning, then dash options become plentiful and cheaper too.
    I have hook ups for ecu master stuff, pm me if interested.

3. davidhynes36

davidhynes36 New Member

Thanks Andy, I wondering if that was an option. Is there a prefered stand alone ecu with an OBD2 socket. Also if so what sort of money are they?

• Creative Creative x 1
  4. jon07043278

jon07043278 Well-Known Member

They are easy enough to wire in without an obd2 port. You may need a few more sensors though.

If you get stuck for what wires go where, post up on here and loads of people will be able to help :)

5. Andy318ti

Andy318ti Active Member

If you went to a standalone ecu there's no obd2 it's all usb with software for a laptop. You would be able to run the ca on coilpacks with full sequential ignition and fueling. Making it a happier more efficient engine and depending on mods make as much power as your chassis choice can handle.
    Have a Google and read a bit about the ecu it's a proper piece of kit and will run all your information to a tablet so save spending £600+ on a dash unit.

If your are planning to run the standard looms and ecu for the ca the race tech dash2 can be wired as a standalone unit giving you dash lights and many other functions but as said above you'd have to add sensors as opposed to tap into the standard ecu's outputs.

6. davidhynes36

davidhynes36 New Member

Thanks for the information. I may well end up going through the adding sensors route. I will speak to the guy who will be doing the work to see what he thinks. I really like the look of the DASH2 so if I can have it fitted I will.

7. KevlarRx7

KevlarRx7 Member

Had a dash2 on my fc, swapped it out for a windows tablet running Eugene for the adaptronic ecu, all that was needed was a USB then ;p looks a lot cleaner as well and you get all the features of a tablet as well.

Cost a out the same as a dash2 as well.

8. davidhynes36

davidhynes36 New Member

Kevlar do you have any pictures of the tablet installed in your car? How did you fasten it into the car? I would to see what it looks like.

9. KevlarRx7

KevlarRx7 Member

I'm away in Italy at the moment, but the tablet is around the Size of a double din radio, so I've got a radio blanking plate with magnets on the face and magnets on the back of the tablet, so it just pops on and off, and for audio it's straight from the aux of the tablet to the amp under the seat to the original speakers.

Hope that makes sense!

10. joelhachiroku

joelhachiroku Member

Hey.man im running a windows tablet and a link ecu. Works a treat. I went with a cheap tablet as its just a display and had no issues.
    Velcro on the tablet and dash panel it sticks to and its not had issues even aftet running out of talent and flying through the infield.
    I did has a digital dash but pushed on the screen with my thumb like a retard and broke the screen

• Like Like x 1