Ca18det stage 3 running too rich

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by Connix, Feb 1, 2019.

1. Connix

Connix Member

Since june 2017, i bought a 200sx s13. It had, as I was told, a stage 3 on it.

front mount intercooler set fmic
    turbo manifold
    garret gt28r turbo
    walbro pump
    arp headbolts
    z32 mass
    444cc gtr injectors
    gerdy boostcontroller
    nistune ecu

It needed to be mapped properly before i could drive it, so I did but unfortunately, there was a leak on the 4th cylinder. Seemed that the head was not secured properly, as in, it was hand tight... so after sending the head for a revision, everything seemed to be fine. A few months passed by before I gave it another try but the company where I went to tune, didn't want to because of the nistune. I then ordered a chip from Turbonoz (stage3), installed an AEM AFR wideband and took it for a spin around the block. Here's the next problem. When going full-throttle, the AFR read 9. Now, i'm not a mecanic or so, try to learn while doing, but this was making no sense. The only thing that still was a mystery was an unplugged cable. Seemed to be the lambda. Also, the lambda itself was another one that fitted in the plug. I still need to replace this but need to remove the elbow since i don't have any space to get it out and it's pretty stuck in there. Question is, would this solve my problem or what else could also be a problem(s)? (maybe the chip? better to change it back to nistune and find another tuner?) After almost 2 years, it's finally time to get my shitbox on the road and have fun with it. Any suggestions/tips/tricks are welcome :)

kind regards

2. r3k1355

r3k1355 Well-Known Member

Is the AFM genuine or a fake?
    Have you low tested the fuel injectors to ensure they actually are 444cc?

Is it running the stock FPR or aftermarket?

3. pointz

pointz Member

What are the afr elsewhere in the rev range? Turbonoz is known to run richer than say hdev

4. Connix

Connix Member

The AFM is a new AEM so it must work like it should be?

Didn't test them yet, but certainly something that I'll add to the list

If i understand it correct, yes it is, but was planning to place a regulator in between if the lambda didn't solve anything

idle, it was 11.5
    full throttl : 8-9
    'cruising' was around 10-11

5. r3k1355

r3k1355 Well-Known Member

It's an AEM air-flow meter??

The stage 3 chip is written for a Z32 AFM.

6. Connix

Connix Member

I think i mistaken the afm. Yes that's a z32 that i have. Perhaps i need to take a picture of the cables how it is. Maybe there's a wrong cable placed or misplaced...