1jz vvti turbo choices?

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by Zammish24, May 31, 2019.

1. Zammish24

Zammish24 Member

afternoon fellas,
    I've got a 1jz vvti stock right now but i plan to run a big single turbo.
    I've already got an EMU ecu running on the car on a basemap, plan to upgrade the injectors from 370cc to 550cc.
    Ive got a equal length turbo manifold with a T3 flange and the plan was to run a maxpeedingrods GT3582 .63 trim Journal bearing (ebay special)
    but surprise surprise i dont want to use it because it is an Ebay copy. So i have been looking at other options.
    I'm looking to achieve 400-450hp as i still use the car daily but id like something that will spool nice and early and pull to the redline.
    I quite fancy a holset turbo (because of the reliability and cost) but i have no clue what holset turbo i would need to achieve this.
    Is it worth me trying the gt3582 out and see what happens? I've already sent it off to balanced , surprisingly it barely needed any weight grinding off!
    What do you guys think?

2. Nite_Shayde

Nite_Shayde Active Member

A HY35 would be perfect for what you want

3. Zammish24

Zammish24 Member

Thanks nite, what's your opinion on garrett gr holset?

4. BenRice

BenRice Well-Known Member

For those power levels i'd be going HX40 if you can find one/get one specced with a T3 rear housing. HX40's, & parts for them, are becoming a lot more common these days. in saying that, a fresh Compressor Racing HY35 would be my second choice

The whole Garrett vs Holset/BW thing comes down to a couple of factors. Bang for buck you can't beat a secondhand Holset. They've replaced the old "T3/T4" you used to see on every budget-conscious build. Even new ones via Compressor Racing are still the go-to for most applications.

Borg Warner EFR seems to be the flavour of the day in competition drifting these days where budgets aren't unlimited.

However Garrett still have their place. They appear in builds were people need 100% confidence in a brand & comprehensive aftermarket support because they're unsure of what they're doing/have low confidence in their own mechanical ability/have the unlimited budget.

Personally, I'm a JDM fanboy and wanted an HKS turbo, but new was out of reach as i'm on the budget-conscious/DIY end of the scale. So i went with a secondhand HKS GT2540 with RB turbine housing but with rebuilt and up-specced internals to make it the same as a 2871. Came in at the same price of a Compressor Racing HY35, 1/3 the price of a Garrett GTX2871R and was as close to a bolt up combo as i could get (short of going "high flowed" stock turbo)

So figure out where your budget is at, what your priorities are and see what solution slots in

• Like Like x 1
  5. Zammish24

Zammish24 Member

thanks you ben! thats sorted most of my thoughts. there seems to be a few options on the hx40 turbo, different scroll sizes too. guess im going to have to look into the compressor maps

6. Tris535

Tris535 New Member

Look at the Borg Warner SX300 range, they're cheap and have Borg Warner technology. Got a friend running one on a 2jz running 440BHP at a bar of boost.

7. Nite_Shayde

I honestly think a HX40 is too big for what you want. I assume your manifold is single scroll, correct? a 10cm HY35 will be spot on if so - been done loads of times and the results have always been awesome. Most all hit full boost by about 3000rpm and pull strong till redline, making 400-500bhp.

Martin Wonnacott's HY35 on a 1J, for example. 460bhp, 500lb/ft and full boost by 3000rpm. 1.5 bar, I believe. Look at the torque curve - flipping awesome! He ended up with just over 500bhp later on with some tweaks here and there, which I can't remember off the top of my head or find what they are right now. Think it might have been cutting down the turbine housing and switching to a larger downpipe.

Martindyno.

Another example done right, albeit with an RB26, but still gives you an idea - note the comment about the HX40, too:

Ben covered the brand differences well, but I want to add that loads of Garretts tend to have undersized turbine wheels for the compressor wheel size, which isn't great. BorgWarners and Holsets are much better in this respect. If you wanted to run a Borg, would look at the S200 range - S300 frame again too big IMO.

#7 Nite_Shayde, Jun 4, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
  8. BenRice

@Nite_Shayde - all valid points. However the HX40 comparison doesn't mention it's turbine housing size, did you know what it was? Either way, agree an HY35 is a great option, just getting harder to find compared to HX40's

@Zammish24 - what are you going to be using it for? And what rear gear are you going to use? You don't want a tonne of boost hitting too low in the rev range, that's a recipe for mashing bearings. Yes the response is amazing, but with a longer (ie lower ratio number) rear gear, you end up loading the engine more. If you run a shorter ratio rear gear the engine has less load on it in each gear so it helps ease the high boost/low rev bearing problem, but doesn't fix it. Something to consider anyway

I guess what I'm trying to say is make sure you have top-notch boost control when dealing with those power levels on stock bottom ends. Don't go for over 1.2 bar under 3500, stick around the 1 bar mark, then ramp it up to whatever your injectors can handle higher up. 1 bar is still a massive kick in the pants down low anyway - 1st gear is useless in my car now at anything above 2/3 throttle, and 2nd will spin as soon as it reaches full boost at WOT. 3rd hauls like a train on motorway on ramps but any kind of moisture on the road and it'll step out.

9. Nite_Shayde

Quote from the same fella:

Agree HYs are anything but easy to find nowadays. To be honest, a HX35 would be ok as well. Just looked at what Compressor Racing have listed right now, and they have an 11cm HX35 that's nice. If it was a twin scroll mani a HX35 would be a no-brainer; similar spool but more top end/power and less backpressure than a HY35. But even on a single scroll mani a HX35 won't be a slow spooling turbo at all on a 1J. Maybe ~500rpm later than a HY. Much easier to find than a HY, though.

I actually have a very nice spec HX40 with the smallest turbine housing you can get (T3 14cm) which I'm currently selling, but I maintain it's just larger than necessary for 'only' 4-450bhp on a 1J. But good question about what the intended use is.

Greg @ Protuner has probably mapped a ton of 1JZs, RB25s, etc, running Holset turbos. Wonder if it would be worth shooting him an email to see what he has to say on the matter. Mapping is of paramount importance, obviously, to the reliability and performance of a turbocharged car. And Greg does it well, btw.

EDIT: Just seen in another post this is used on track? Would just get a HX35 in that case. Still easy enough to find - just have to be quick as most don't hang around. Would prob just buy the one from Compressor Racing, but even a 12cm one would be fine. Know someone with a few used 12cm HX35Ws (internal wastegate version - just have to weld the flapper shut) for a good price if it helps.

#9 Nite_Shayde, Jun 4, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
  10. Zammish24

Zammish24 Member

I use the car daily but i do also use it on track days, for the corners im ok as the rx handles very well anyway even with a heavier engine. but on the straights the stock ct-15b does run out of puff very quickly, so ideally id want something that'll spool around 3,500 to the redline.

I'm still using the factory which is a torsen 4.1 ratio diff, The acceleration already is pretty quick but i'd prefer more top end instead of bottom. I'd imagine the vvti helps alot low down the rev range

11. BenRice

@Zammish24 what gearbox is in it? R series or BMW conversion? (can't remember seeing a build thread / insta iirc sorry)

A 4.1 rear ratio is a nice short ratio for an R series box so no issues there if it is. A short ratio for an R series is 3.9 and above.

I think @Nite_Shayde covered it nicely though: HY35 if available, HX35 as second option and HX40 as 3rd cab off the rank

12. Zammish24

Zammish24 Member

Yeah there's no build thread and i dont have insta lol
    I'm actually using the factory fd gearbox with a cc competiton ceramic fd clutch. I just designed a adaptor plate and had it cut out.

13. BenRice

Interesting! Don't see many done like that

Would be keen to see more on it so if you've documented it anywhere let me know

14. Zammish24

Zammish24 Member

Yeah, alot of people put the rx8 gearbox onto the 1jz engines however they are so fragile they break very easily, The fd3s gearbox is much much much stronger and better geared for a turbo engines.

The acceleration is pretty quick and 5th gear is quite a long ratio too so my top speed so far has been 160mph haha

I know this is a knock off but am i on the right track looking at this?
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-HY35...m3b3294c3a3:g:lNkAAOSwtyFc9Bba&frcectupt=true

trying to find a hy35, so if any of you guys know where theres one for sale, please let me know

#14 Zammish24, Jun 7, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2019
  15. Nite_Shayde

Interesting, someone is building a 13B powered E30 (!) with what looks to be a HX55, and is shooting for 600hp with the RX-8 box. He says the box can take the power/torque, mentioning that it's how stuff is mounted that matters.

This looks good, but it's from China and will end up being quite costly if you get hit with import/customs fees etc. Unless the seller marks it as low value when shipping.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-HOLS...MMINS-EAA-3-9L-10CM-Turbocharger/113709171955

Holset do have a manufacturing plant in Wuxi, China, so not all Holsets from China are a copy. That one is actually tagged as being made in the UK in Huddersfield anyway, though. The one you linked to is deffo a copy.

They are more common in the US as well, so could import, but import fees again may cause issue (as well as the cost of shipping itself). Just have to wait for one to pop up, really. Also keep an eye out for the RS341, which is Compressor Racing's own version of the HY35, and the HE341, which is basically a newer HY35. All still rare, though.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Zammish24

Zammish24 Member

Thanks nite, i'll send them a message! The rx8 is a very weak box, i had one on a 2jzge vvti (gs300 engine) and after a a launch or two stripped the gears inside :/
    also a friend of mine has a saab swapped mx5 running a rx8 box 6spd and that died on the first launch too :O
    Im guessing rx8 boxes dont take much torque to kill them. I think the issue is rotary engines have no torque down low rpm so setting off isn't a issue for the gearbox?
    Don't take my word on that, i'm just trying to make sense of it lol

edit: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/holset-h...m443ef6de07:g:FhMAAOSwfx9c-ioP&frcectupt=true

just found this, it's very cheap. We've covered the hx35 before but what should i look out for?

#16 Zammish24, Jun 7, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2019
  17. Nite_Shayde

Fair play. To be honest, I've read mixed opinions about the FD box itself (being used in the FD with the 13B), especially 3rd being stripped, even at moderate power levels. But some seem to run 5-600 no issue. I guess we don't properly know what condition these boxes are in now since they are getting old and don't know how they were used in the past, etc. You'll deffo have a fair chunk more torque at your disposal at 4-450 with your 1J compared to a 13B running similar power, so I wonder how it will hold up. Anyway, not trying to shit on your parade of course, just thought it was worth mentioning!

That HX35 looks good, ask the seller what size the turbine housing is. It'll be a number stamped into the mouth of one of the twin scroll inlets on the turbine. Btw, if you end up running a turbo with a twin scroll turbine, file the divider so it slices through the exhaust gases nicely, and provides less of a flow restriction.

18. chopaholic

chopaholic Well-Known Member

I have gone for an APW twin scroll manifold, Compressor Racing HX35 11CM 7 blade, Turbosmart ProGate 50mm, Siemens Deka 875cc injectors and an ECU Master black with my 1JZ VVTI. Hoping to make 500+.

Similar to you, I wanted the Holset for cheap reliability, it was £450 from Compressor Racing, I also previously had a HY35 on a 1JZ Non VVT, it was fantastic and came in really early.

proxy.php?image=https%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FhcMLbuS.