Welding knuckles

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by Zammish24, Jun 4, 2019.

1. Zammish24

Zammish24 Member

Hello fellas,
    Got a 1jz in my rx7, had to lower the rack about an 30mm so i've caused bump steer to happen ( angle of tie rods point upwards), I've already got some offset rack spacers,
    Would it be possible to cut the arm on the knuckles that the track rod end mount to and weld it lower?

I've seen people weld knuckles for more steering angle so figured it could be doable?

2. r3k1355

r3k1355 Well-Known Member

Probably can be welded, Wisefab do a lock kit for the RX7 as well.

3. Zammish24

Zammish24 Member

thanks for your quick reply, yeah I'm not fussed about lock as i dont slide my rx7, its mainly track focused I'm going for. it gets scary when im doing 80-90mph but I'll look into that cheers!

4. Andy318ti

Andy318ti Active Member

Get a spacer machined to drop the tie rod level.
    You have fully ruined it dropping the rack though

5. PanozGTR

PanozGTR Member

What about adjustable tie rod ends for roll centre correction? Hardrace do some but they're not exactly cheap. Though eBay specials are available if you want to risk it!

6. Zammish24

Zammish24 Member

I want to keep the factory tie rod ends and setup, I previously ran rose joints but after 3 months of use the amount of play was scary.
    It was either fit an aftermarket bonnet (most for an fd aftermarket bonnets look awful) or lower the rack as little as possible to solve it. As there are 1jz swap kits that actually lower the rack, i copied their design to find out they suffer from bump steer issues too and have not got around this.

7. Zammish24

Zammish24 Member

I was looking into them, I was thinking it would be cheaper to have the hubs modified therefore if the track rods do fail i can go to any autoparts place and order some. cheap fixes lol

8. PanozGTR

PanozGTR Member

That's a fair point. Another option would be something like this to move the location without cutting and welding. If designed correctly OE tie rod ends should fit fine.

P2222311_1024x1024@2x.

9. Zammish24

Zammish24 Member

after some searching, it appears im not the first to think of this idea ha ha cannot find an information on this though

hub.

10. joelhachiroku

joelhachiroku Member

What engine mounts are you using? 1j should fit nicely its the 2j that people normally lower the rack to accommodate the height. Im assuming its a fd.

11. Zammish24

Zammish24 Member

Using the factory 1jz mounts, i could raise the engine higher but that would mean id need to change my intake manifold and turbo setup from standard as they're fouling on the bonnet.

12. r3k1355

Might be an older Parts Shop Max design?

13. Zammish24

Zammish24 Member

I've had a look and cant seem to find anything really.
    For now what I've done is raise the suspension of the car (hsd monopro coliovers) so the track rods are straighter, this seems to have fixed the issue if im honest but the car doesn't look quite right being stock height with rotas on
    I was talking to a bloke that used a tech2 sub frame but used the hinson bump steer kit and solved his problem.
    The hinson kit only lowers the track rods an inch so i think if i get the knuckles welded an inch lower and my offset spacers fitted should solve my problem

14. r3k1355

an old design they don't make anymore, also I think it was for the S-Body.

15. joelhachiroku

joelhachiroku Member

Can you not just run adjustable rod ends and use washers/spacers to play with bump steer?
    As an example hard race have adjustable tie rods and spacers you can shift around for the pick up point height

16. federalman

federalman Member

Try getting in contact with Partsshopmax Europe. They were pretty helpful when I ordered my rear knuckles from them.

17. aqaminerala

aqaminerala New Member

What should I do without this forum

18. aqaminerala

aqaminerala New Member