Mazda B2000 - MX5 Turbo

Thread in 'Drift cars for sale' started by Disco, Jun 26, 2019.

1. Disco

Disco Hamburger Hinderer

So, the time has come to put my truck up for sale. Strap in for a bit of a read as I want to cover all bases as best as possible.

The basics:
    It’s a 1988 Mazda B2000 running a 1994 MX5 1.8 motor with a TD04 turbo conversion.

The conversion:
    The engine is mounted using custom engine and gearbox mounts with the standard MX5 1.8 gearbox mated to the stock B2000 welded diff via a custom prop.

The turbo conversion:
    Same as you’d find in 99% of turbocharged MX5’s. TD04 turbo with Ramair filter, Kraken cast manifold, custom free-flow downpipe with a custom 2.5” side-exit exhaust. RX8 blue 540cc injectors, silicon heater matrix hoses, braided oil feed, silicon return to drilled sump, braided water hoses to turbo, stock MX5 radiator and hoses, custom super-short intercooler pipes to full size front mounted intercooler. Megasquirt MSPNP2 and AEM X-Series wideband. Fueling is dealt with by an in-line BMW fuel pump being fed by a rear-mounted fuel cell.

The chassis:
    The front is stock Mazda B2000 running the torsion bars and custom-made GAZ shocks.
    The rear is a fully custom space frame with 4-link imported from the US and HSD coilover conversion. There’s also an integrated jacking bar at the rear. The tubular chassis is tied together with two rear stays that connect to a full, weld-in rollcage. The wheels are fat NASCAR Weller Racing steels, rears are 10j and fronts I think are 9j. Rear tyres are Avon Eurocar cut slicks and the fronts are Maxxis Victra’s. Brakes are standard up front however, the rears are S14 fronts plumbed up to an S14 master cylinder.

The interior:
    It’s pretty sparse, there’s a Bride Low-Max for the driver and a Corbeau Sprint for the passenger, both side/floor mounted with Takata harnesses (the passenger’s is 100% fake but, whatever). The MX5 dash is bolted in and does require some fettling if you care about how it looks, everything still works as you’d expect though. Genuine OMP wheel with snap-off.

The body:
    Now as you can see, it’s been painted in a sorta NASCAR-esque style. The bonnet is held with bonnet pins and has the NISMO-style vent which helps a lot with cooling. It’s rough and ready but it is all 100% solid. The bed was cut out previously and trying to source another B-Series single cab bed is pretty tricky so, a bed from an early Vauxhall Brava was sourced and stitched in. It’s not pretty but it does the job.

Points to note:
    Now obviously due to the straight-through exhaust, a “friendly” MOT tester will likely be required for future due to emissions, it is however actually not that loud and sound tests at around 95db. Currently there is no handbrake, I have dealt with this and actually it’s not really a bother but I would probably fit a locking hydro at some point. The fuel gauge has a mind of it’s own, I keep on top of this by literally looking in the tank and trying to keep it topped up.
    The truck has been built using as much MX5 as possible so that if anything does need replacing, parts are easy to find and cheap to buy. The loom I think, is nearly 100% MX5.

As you can appreciate this is pretty-much a one off (aside from another two that are owned by a couple of my close mates but are completely different animals) which in turn makes it really tricky to value. In order to buy a stock truck and complete all of the work that has been undertaken would cost in excess of £10,000.00 however I appreciate that that’s a whole bunch of money and not realistic. Having submitted everything to my insurance, it has an agreed value of not far off of that.

Taking into consideration the work carried out, the rarity and the sheer of amount of attention it gets, I’m asking £7,500.00 ono.

Offers will only be invited upon actually viewing the truck.

There is a build thread on Retrorides which is fairly comprehensive which I would suggest prospective buyers to take a look at but I will obviously answer any questions that you might have. Any pictures can be provided on request.

I do love this thing and it’s an experience to drive and really is a proper show-stopper. I have taken it on track and despite not setting any lap records, it’s still awesome. The reason for selling is that it’s sort of done it’s job and now I’m looking to move on to something new. Speaking of which, I am very open to PX’s however I do need a minimum of £2,000.00 my way. Japanese cars are preferred but throw whatever at me, although I have no interest in MX5’s or Civics I’m afraid.

If people do want to view it, it should be on the Fast Car stand at Donnington for Japfest and Trax in July but that’s not 100% yet.

If you made it this far, nice one! I've uploaded a few pics from IMGUR but do have a whole bunch more on the FB ad and can send any as required.

RnI9et6.

mCodqqt.

88bfdhx.

Yipho3H.

MgWNjkD.

8nf85jd.

• Like Like x 1
  2. ArTo

ArTo Member

This is so cool! GLFS

3. Disco

Disco Hamburger Hinderer