Brake fade

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by Zammish24, Jul 17, 2019.

1. Zammish24

Zammish24 Member

I've got a 1jz in a fd rx7, after some spirited driving i lose all brakes, serious brake fade, pads and discs are brembo.
    I've figured due to the heavier weight of the 1jz compared to the 13b is the cause of this.... rather than get rid of the 1jz and put in the 13b, anyone have any other way i can stop the brakes fading so fucking fast?

Maybe fit skyline or supra calipers and discs?
    theres a few guys here running swapped rx7's i wanna know how the've solved this :O

2. r3k1355

r3k1355 Well-Known Member

What size brakes and calipers do you currently have? What fluid are you running?

3. Andy318ti

Andy318ti Active Member

Get better pads first off.

4. Zammish24

Zammish24 Member

I should have said, i took it to the nurburgring last year running yellow stuff ebc pads, which faded after 5 mins of track use!
    Front brakes are standard 294 x22mm discs with 4 pot calipers and already flushed the system with dot 4 fluid. I looked at skyline r33 calipers as the disc size is 296x20mm but the calipers dont look any larger figured a heavier car like a r33 the calipers would be larger?

5. r3k1355

r3k1355 Well-Known Member

Are you sure you weren't looking at one of the lesser R33 models?

The GTR is 324x30mm

6. Zammish24

Zammish24 Member

Ah i was looking at the gtst, still a heavier car i guess?

7. Zammish24

Zammish24 Member

After abit of research it looks like brake ducting may help, anyone noticed a difference with and without brake cooling?

8. mad.matt

mad.matt Well-Known Member

Decent brake ducting and pad choice will make a hell of a difference.

There are some seriously sorted Time Attack cars that still run OEM calipers, so that would be the LAST thing I would change. A 2 piece Bell and Disc assembly might help disapate the heat a little better too.
    attack_tsukuba_dino_dalle_carbonare_01.

Your JZ is 50kg heavier so your front/rear weight bias has changed, with the additional weight over the front wheels.

9. Japtorque

Japtorque Active Member

I just got a set of red stuff pads for £65 on ebay. seemed like a bargain , but they say they need a 1000 mile run in ? its gonna take forever ! lol

10. orange_beastie

orange_beastie Pickup driftin

Have you replaced the brake fluid? If youve had brake fade badly once you can cook the fluid making it more likely to happen again.
    Try replacing it with dot5 that is supposed to be much higher boiling point.

11. S15Tom

S15Tom Member

A good brake fluid and decent pads, this is coming from a BTCC engineer, most of the time it’s either down to heat management sometimes the cooling ducting is too good and doesn’t allow the pads to get hot enough to work or a pad that isn’t up to the job, endless is great fluid for track use hunt around for pads would not recommend ebc but projectmu is great brand pad