Mk3 Supra - drift car choice help

Thread in 'Drifting Chat / Pictures / Videos' started by Ryan_v, Oct 18, 2015.

1. Ryan_v

Ryan_v New Member

Hi everybody, I'm pretty new to drifting and I am looking people's advice/opinion on drifting mk3 supra.

My backround with drifting is very limited, I had a s2000 and done a few track days last year in and it was great but the I got way more excitment from sliding round abouts and corners daily.

Anyway I thought the s2000 was too expensive and good to be driving like that on the road so I sold it and bought myself a mk3 manual turbo supra that needed mot, it seemed to be a pretty good car. 68000miles on the clocks and well looked after.

I prepared it for mot, welded a sill, braided brake lines, Rear brake pipes, made a 3inch stainless exhaust system ect.

Got it too mot and passed but leaving the mot centre it was pissing out the expansion bottle. So when I got it home done a pile of tests and then a leak down test showed it was loosing pressure in one of the cyclinders. Striped it down and the head gasket was to blame, so I replaced it and rebuilt it all with revised torque settings.

Since then I've done 3 'drift' days, its 100 times easier to slide than the s2000 but now the lsd needs rebuilt so I ordered a weir performance max grip kit to install and I feel like it's going to need a hydro handbrake before I snap my cable handbrake.

Anyway I've read alot of hate about the mk3 supra online and feel like I'm at the point where I need a dedicated drift car and I'm worried the infamous 7mgte will do the bottom end next so do i sell it on and buy something more common like a s body/bmw purely for the amount of drift dedicated parts available or stick it out.

Here's some pics of it.

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. Mike@TDSW

Mike@TDSW Active Member

Keep it, develop it, fit a jz if the 7m dies
    Mk3 supras are cool.

3. jon07043278

jon07043278 Well-Known Member

Nothing wrong with them for drifting. Crap standard lock and tiny brakes but all the main bits are there.

You would have an easier time either welding the diff or fitting a two way. The lsd's aren't amazing, even after shimming.

As Mike ^^^ said, the 7m engine is fine and if it dies, fit a JZ :)

4. Pilkboid

Pilkboid Member

MK3 supras are awsome and that looks like apretty clean example. Being a manual and a turbo it makes it not rare ... but harder to come by. I was looking at mk3's and could not find a turbo manual. Weld the diff and get the knuckles modded for soem extra lock and as long as you change the oil often and dont bounce of the limiter all day its an awsome drift car. even the non turbos slide pretty well. I say keep it and be different. Perfectly capible slider!

5. Ryan_v

Ryan_v New Member

It is pretty clean, I think that's my problem. Cause ultimately I want to cut a car up and cage it and this would be a shame to ruin. Would I not be better startin with something more ruff and more capable chassis like a s body?

6. Pilkboid

Pilkboid Member

Its totally up to you. These are more than capible. I know what you mean though would be a shame to cut up but you can still remove interiour and csge it throw diffferent bumpers on and keep the oem ones so you can always run it clean again.

7. chr15_84t3

chr15_84t3 Member

I'd stick with it if i were you. Hayden (jon0704whatever) has a couple and after driving his 1jz one at matsuri yesterday i'm seriously considering selling my decent spec spec 180sx for one lol

8. Ryan_v

Ryan_v New Member

Suprised your saying that chr15_84t3 I thought the s bodies where the best for drifting especially with the parts availability.

Ive been driving the supra alot more lately and it gets some amount of intrest from people all ages and it's easy drifted. I thinK I'm gonna hold onto it for a year and see how I get on.

Cheers for the input lads.

9. richie_k83

richie_k83 Well-Known Member

I dont think parts are too hard to come by, its more a case of knowing where to look.

I say do it, chop it, cage it, whatever. Make it your own and enjoy it!

I was considering one of these before my getting my Mk4, would still have one now :)

10. Ryan_v

Ryan_v New Member

I know this is a bit of a blast from the past but just wanted to update this.

Basically the inevitable happened to this car, drove it for a year. Broke my heart constantly fixing it, driving home one day from work the bottom end started knocking.

I then bought a ls430 to do a 3uz swap but I was honestly so pissed off at fixing it and it wasn't getting any better. The lsd in them is shit even upgraded shims and springs. As retarded as it sounds the lsd needs welded up for skids. So I just broke the car and scrapped the shell.

The 3uz now lives in a mates altezza he drifts.

11. jon07043278

jon07043278 Well-Known Member

It is a sad day. To be honest, it needed a welded diff and engine swap sooner. I've just gone from 1jz to 3uz (with the plan to go turbo v8 soon after) and i am less than impressed with the v8. I'm hoping a turbo makes all the difference.

12. barongan

barongan New Member

Following!this seems like a very interesting thread

13. Alex_B

Alex_B Member

I had a bit of a play in mine when I first got it and even standard on the 30 year old dampers and shit tyres it was a pretty happy car to be sideways and was a good laugh.
    Its changed a bit since then and is not setup for slides at all (has 5 deg rear camber) but still isnt horrid to get the tail out.

I would say go have fun in it and you should be able to do the normal basic mods (welded diff, modded knuckes) and it'll work well.

11200973_10153882113624832_7212126621253621105_o.