Question regarding wheel fittment.

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by Mathew_1507, Sep 10, 2019.

1. Mathew_1507

Mathew_1507 New Member

Hi people,

After abit of searching I have decided on a set of 18” xxr 526’s possibly 19”s if they will fit, They will be sitting on Driftworks hsd dualtech shocks 9/7kg.. they will be going on a 99 c35 Nissan Laurel as the old set of are looking tired and crappy they are 18’s unsure of brand.. the only thing I’m unsure of is size regarding et’s and pdc .. I’m looking at 9j et25 all round pdc 5x114.3/120.

Would this be the correct fitment as I only want to buy once!!

XXR-526-18105-CB-020_(2).

Also if you have any other suggestions regarding wheel choice I’m all ears, budget is around €1000 for a decent set, something with abit of dish

Any help would be appreciated!

F9C1E9DF-60B5-464C-99B4-0919C3A96A83.

2. Gabriel90

Gabriel90 Member

Go to: https://www.willtheyfit.com/

In there you can input your existing wheel and tyre sizes, then input the new wheel and tyre sizes and it will show you how the new wheels sit compared to the old ones.

Also, if you are unsure about ET, remember the lower the number the more the wheel will poke OUT of the car. In the case of dished wheels, the lower the ET, the more dish you will have.

Also, remember the size of tyres is important so be accurate with the info you input.

Here is some more info on wheel specs (OEM) for C35 Laurel:
    https://www.wheel-size.com/size/nissan/laurel/2002/

Hope this helps.

3. Japtorque

Japtorque Active Member

im running 18x8 front 18x9 rear et35 and still have massive spacers , if your arches are rolled you could fit 10j's rear 9j front easy . c35s have massive room for big wheels, a mates running 11.5J with 235 stretched tyres.. no spacers IMG_20170827_185412. IMG_20170602_181935. IMG_20170827_185121.

• Like Like x 1
  4. BenRice

BenRice Well-Known Member

I ran 18x8's and 9's on mine as well but nothing aggressive as far as offsets. Ran 17x9 +13 all round for a while too but the front poked about 10mm, so a 9 at +25 should be pretty well spot on in the front.

What size tyres would you be running? If it was me i'd be going a 225/40 up front and a 235/40 on the rear. I'd maybe even consider a slightly wider rear wheel, maybe a 9.5/10/10.5 if available.

Something to consider, the last shot in the previous post shows you C35's are quite slab-side. This means running more than -2.5 deg of camber can look quite strange on them. The steel guards (front and rear) are also decently strong, more-so than Silvia's anyway, so try avoid guard massaging.

Also note, that it'll need adj rear camber arms at a minimum, as even moderate lowering jobs will see huge negative camber

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Japtorque

Japtorque Active Member

yes, i get a lot of inside wear on the tyres due to the lowering , im running 225's at the back on 9j's,
    215's on the 8j fronts.
    I know its wrong , but I flip the tyres so i get the most out of em ..

the only place they rub is actually inside the arch , above the actual Tyre itself when the suspension compresses at high speed turns 70+mph
    , the lip isn't rolled too extreme just bent in so it sits flush with the outside.
    running 8k rear springs would ideally want to try 10k in the future just to see if the rubbing stops .
    IMG_20170827_185131.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Mathew_1507

Mathew_1507 New Member

Thanks for the information! I can get 9j et25 on the front and the rears can be got in 10j et 20 or 10j et 35’s?? I haven’t decided on what tyres I’ll be running as I’m still trying to get my head around wheel sizes.. I was hoping to get something that would fit straight on without having to roll the arches if possible.. I will have to look into getting the rear adj camber arms as I’m pretty sure it’s all stock.. so I’ve decided on the front 9j et25 just need to pick the tears.. is there much difference in the ect 20 vs 35’s? Thank a million for this help as it’s all still pretty new to me

7. Mathew_1507

Mathew_1507 New Member

Cheers for the info and that is one seriously clean laurel!! I’ve kinda messed up the front bumper by catching it on kerbs and the paint is cracking on the rear bumper but nothing a good body shop can’t fix! I have found my rear right tyre wears mostly on the inside,, I didn’t get much histrory with the car regarding what kind of diff it has but it’s very clunky at slow speeds and sounds rough as hell trying to park it.. it’s currently got a broken rear strut but once the dual tech shocks go in that’s that issue sorted and I thought I might as well get the wheels and it can be all done together.. like I said in the last post I was hoping to not roll the arches but if needs must it has to be done.. that’s one serious clean laurel.. puts myne to shame I need to get a bonnet emblem also but there are becoming rare to find!. Cheers

So for the rear camber arms the Driftworks r34 98-02 v2 black edition should fit??

#7 Mathew_1507, Sep 11, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  8. BenRice

Any adjustable camber arm designed for an R33, R34, S14 or S15 will fit. I used S14 ones in mine because those were the ones that popped up.

Hmmmm, if it was me i'd go the 18x10 +20 and run 235/40 tyres for the rear. +35 probably won't have as much dish as the front 9's at +25 tbh and that would look wack. The +20 will have a bit more than the fronts, which will look good.

What do you mean when you say you don't want to roll arches? Flattening/bending the arch lip up so it doesn't cut into the tyre is pretty much a given for any lowered car, and an absolute requirement when running 9's up front. It's not a hard job to do and a lot of wheel & tyre shops offer the service.

Going further and flaring the arch is another step altogether. You're only considering this if the wheel itself is poking enough and the car is low enough to warrant it. I think even 18x10 @ +20 with a 235/40 won't be aggressive enough to warrant this. The only issue will be if you end up putting a bigger tyre like a 265/35 tyre on the 10 instead. You'd be wanting the +35 then

• Like Like x 2
  9. Mathew_1507

Mathew_1507 New Member

Ok cheers..

I’ll get the 9j 25 for the front and get the 10.5 et 20 for the rear and get them ordered later today..

As for the rubber I’ll go for the 235/40 on the rear.
    I will also put in an order with Driftworks for the rear adjustable arms :- https://www.driftworks.com/driftworks-rear-camber-arms-with-rod-ends-for-nissan-200sx-s14-93-99.html..

Yeah I’ll have to ask around and find a place that will roll the arches because I live in (west cork Ireland) and finding a good garage is hard to find in my location.. I often get asked what car is it

• Like Like x 1
  10. Ginger Drifter

11. Mathew_1507

Mathew_1507 New Member

Thank you it does and doesn’t.. I work away from home so wont be able to check my current sizes till I get back in 2 weeks lol.. from oem size it doesn’t look too bad for the rears, they will be 24.5mm closer to the suspension and stick out 64.5mm I’m unsure now weather to buy the alloys till I check what’s on at the moment

• Like Like x 1
  12. Gabriel90

Gabriel90 Member

No worries, but honestly, don't buy the wheels until you are sure. It may end up being a waste of time and money. Do the research on what is on at the moment and compare to the new set up.

Also, that site doesn't take camber into consideration (I don't think) but make sure once you know the current set up that you look under the car to see how close you are to the strut already and also how your lip to arch alignment is. That way you can judge how the new wheels will sit.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Japtorque

Japtorque Active Member

yes my laurel was clean that day :D but most of the time its not .. i suffer from bumper bashing a lot too , i got handy with fiberglass and just repair it as i go. the back isnt too bad but the whole kit is fixed jap style with self tapping screws ! :cry: need to sort it at some stage..
    I have no adjustable camber arms and the negative camber aids with the fitment of the wheels , if I had zero camber the tyre would most likely hit the arch.
    you will be fine with 10.5J and ben is a legend on this forum so you can trust his opinion without fear..

remember to post us some pics when ya done !!
    add me on insta if you like its @1337haxorz

• Like Like x 2
  14. Mathew_1507

Mathew_1507 New Member

I just put the order through so should have them for when I return home in two weeks.. negative camber aids could you explain? Do you mean it’s been aligned when the wheels were fitted?? I’d have to get a full alignment when the new shocks go on so it can be done all together ( that’s the plan) How’s is your laurel to drift?? What spec is it?? I find it hard to keep the back loose enough and tends to grip up a lot.. I need a few more horses to keep her lit.. thanks BenRice for your info ( you do know your laurels from what I’ve read on this forum (kudos) cheers for your info too.. just scary spend cash on something you don’t know much about !

15. Mathew_1507

Mathew_1507 New Member

Ah I have just seen your insta and you have a 1jz.. :worthy:

16. Mathew_1507

Mathew_1507 New Member

Test fitted the 10.5j E7779425-E858-41BC-BEFB-4ED4B4DA0F26. 9’s all ready to go AF989095-188B-49B1-BFD5-F277742D6C8A.

17. Mathew_1507

Mathew_1507 New Member

I have put the 9j on the front but I’m getting a lot of vibration through the steering wheel as most speeds.. the wheels and tyre’s have been balanced.. any suggestions???

18. BenRice

What tyres did you fit? New or secondhand?

• Like Like x 1
  19. Mathew_1507

Mathew_1507 New Member

2818DC8B-CECD-4883-BB40-CAA4734FD459.
    Fitted new tyres 225/40’s on the front, I still have to get the rears sorted next time I’m home... I figured it out.. I had to take off the spacers off the front and trim the threads back with a grinder because they were sticking into the alloy and not letting the alloy sit flush with the spacers.. driving ok now, will have to get the rear arches rolled because the 10.5j’s stick out a fair way.

20. BenRice

Can you take a better pic of the rears? Preferably brids eye view showing the poke

The wheel will camber up, and with a 235/40 fitted you'll have more clearance than you expect

• Like Like x 2