Question to re - registering a Chaser in UK

Thread in 'Other Chat' started by armin, Dec 3, 2019.

1. armin

armin New Member

Hello everybody

Hope I can get some help here from you guys, even when it s not a drifting theme.

Since I'm new in UK, coming from Germany ( and beeing there at the moment), I am little confused about registering a car I bought.

It's a Chaser, got the V5C, the contract between the seller in UK and the buyer in Luxembourg, and of course the contract between the Luxembourg seller and me. The Chaser has MOT until February 2020, it's untaxed since march 2019, the rear license plate is there but the front one in missing.

At the DVLA page I got already a lot of information, but not the recent ones. So, does anybody know how I can get a front license plate, and how to get ahead with the steps in the right order.
    At the moment the car is located in Germany, I brought it there from Luxembourg, and would like to get it back to UK on own wheels.

Many thanks in advance for any help, I appreciate it very much!

Cheers

armin

2. antz

antz Active Member

The V5C is the UK registration document. Its already registered in the UK if you have that. All you'll need to drive it in the UK is a valid MOT which you say you have, valid UK insurance and then valid road tax.

License plate. Go to any car parts shop in the UK with your V5C and some ID and buy one. They will make it there and then for anywhere from £10-20. Or buy one off eBay UK and they will ask for your documents. Just send them a photo of your V5C and the ID. DON'T SEND THE ORIGINALS IN THE POST.

To tax it you need valid UK insurance then go to https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-tax and follow the steps to tax it.

Once you have tax, MOT and insurance then its completely legal for the UK road

3. armin

armin New Member

Hi @antz Thank you so much for you quick respond. This really helps me a lot!!!!

4. armin

armin New Member

Sorry to bother again. All companies I found, in ebay and in internet require the V5C as Original. That sucks really. Does anyone have an idea how to get the plates "only" with scans, photos of the documents, V5C, Passport, bank statement?

Thanks guys.

armin

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Tripp

Tripp Member

Not strictly legal, but on ebay I found someone who printed numberplate stickers. I used this on an S13 which didn't have a front one and never got pulled for it. Was correct font, size, spacing, reflective etc but didn't need to supply any docs for it

6. armin

armin New Member

After a long search yesterday I found in the evening a company in UK who will make me the plates and send them to me. After ordering them I had to write them because I was unsure whether the plates are street legal. They offered me that they can do them street legal, so I hope it will work.

Thanks @Tripp for your Info.

Cheers
    armin

7. antz

antz Active Member

Never had any trouble sending photos of documents for plates before. Not a chance in hell I'd send the originals to anyone.

8. jon07043278

jon07043278 Well-Known Member

I never had issues with it before either but had to have one made recently and they all wanted original documents. Went to Halfords instead.

9. armin

armin New Member

Update.
    Only wanted let you guys know.

At last today I got my street legal!!! number plates after writing several mails with the last one I told them that I cancel my order. Than suddenly 20 minutes later I received a mail that it is picked up and on the way. Now it's to getting the car insured and registered.
    With that a new question is popping up, I asked DVLA how to do all the registration stuff with their chat. That worked really easy. It's much more easy in UK than in Germany.

Cheers.

armin

#9 armin, Dec 18, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  10. armin

armin New Member

Last update.
    Now I got the Chaser insured. It was a bit difficult, because I'm not used to some british accent's, and they want to do it all on the phone. And even with mobile phone onlyo_O

Maybe it is an important information for some here about insurance:
    got a quote from Adrian Flux about 1300 GBP, comp with 750 excess, 0 claim ( because new in UK), driver only me (55).
    That seemed too high for me and I started searching again. Found the platform "money market place".

The former owner insured the Chaser as a Soarer twin turbo AT. But "mmp" showed me some companies with quite acceptable quotes even for the Soarer.
    The first and cheapest I checked was "Admiral", and when I was surfing around at their homepage I recognized that they have the Chaser listed. In the end I insured my Chaser with 1000 GBP excess for 620 GBP.

Have a good time. :wave:

Cheers
    armin

• Like Like x 2