Kaaz lsd question

Thread in 'Drifting Chat / Pictures / Videos' started by Fbash1r, Nov 11, 2019.

1. Fbash1r

Fbash1r New Member

So without doing my research and after recommendation from the person who built my lsd. I ordered a kaaz lsd for my bmw 325i. I did mention super q but the person said once the normal kaaz breaks in and has proper oil it will be like a super q eventually once the clutch plates wear down abit.

my lsd has 35/70 ramp angle and it is a 1.5 way. Its on the factory setting of 6 My car clutch plates the car is my daily driver and i can not stand the clunks and bangs. Its way to aggressive. Is there anyway i can make the lsd more useable for a daily or make the clunks less? its my first lsd and im new to drifting any help will be appreciated

2. jackstrath

jackstrath New Member

35/70 is mild, And i wouldn't of thought you should be hearing any bangs or clunks with that. Have you done the break in and changed the oil?
    Also what oil are you using in the diff? I have found over the years of trying to save my gearbox using different oils the diff can change its characteristics completely!

3. Fbash1r

Fbash1r New Member

I did do the figure 8's and changed the oil and used kaaz oil that came with the diff, since my post it has gone quieter and now it does the clunking. occasionally, any oil you would reccommend?

4. jackstrath

jackstrath New Member

It sounds like you didnt do the figure 8's for long enough if its gotten quieter now. Id be tempted to do another 15 mins of the figure 8's and do another oil change. I always ran Cusco oil in mine and it was near silent. Redline oil was by far the noisest oil for the diff, millers isnt as quiet as the cusco but offers my gearbox better protection than the cusco stuff so iv had to do an midpoint between best of both worlds. If your happy with the Kaaz oil might be worth sticking to that.

5. Fbash1r

Fbash1r New Member

I did do it for the recommended half hour but i will try it again.. And it only clunks now and then on tight turns like in car parks or turning out of a road

6. jackstrath

jackstrath New Member

Yeh im sure i did it for a bit longer both times as i was still getting some clonks while doing it, doing it for longer that 30 mins isnt going to harm the diff.

How meany miles have you done since switching the oil out? Id personally go do some more figure 8's and then clean the oil out. Its not going to do it any harm and might just promote the clutchs to bed in. There is the other side of the fence tho where you might of applied to much torque to early and damaged the clutch, it will still work ok but will be noise for its life

7. Fbash1r

Fbash1r New Member

I done around 500 miles inthose 500 miles it was TERRIBLE i then changed the oil and the noise went down a fair amount. Now ive done another 500 miles so 1000 in total. The guy who built my diff just says carry on driving it will get better

8. jackstrath

jackstrath New Member

Yeh with millage it does get better but it should really be night and day after the first oil change, i remember my first time fitting it and driving to the car park thinking to my self, fuck, maybe setting this at 100% was a bad idea, but after its first oil change it was fine. After 1000 miles it should be silent.

Id do another oil change, use ether the Kaaz stuff again or cusco stuff imo, Part-box was the cheapest place when i used to use the cusco stuff but i was needing 3l of it to fill my gearbox vs 1l for a rear diff

9. Fbash1r

Fbash1r New Member

What cusco oil do you use? also is your diff quieter with it now? You have a kaaz aswell?

10. jackstrath

jackstrath New Member

I have a FWD car so the diff is housed in the gearbox, using the same oil.

I used the cusco 80-90, and it was fine, very little to no noise and my car is on near solid engine mounts ect. I have 2 Kaaz diffs, one in my standard box and one in my quaife dog box. The cusco oil was the quietest. I now use Millers oil and the diff has started to get a little skippy on full lock situations, but given the oil will hopefully give the quaife gearbox a bit more protection and the fact the car is a racecar im not overly bothered about a little diff noise.

11. richie_k83

richie_k83 Well-Known Member

They are a Motorsport/performance part, so not built with quietness and comfort in mind. You just have to learn to live with it. I have had 3x KAAZ diffs, 2x normal and 1x Super-Q. They all made noise, all using KAAZ oil.

Biggest issue on these diffs are that people use the wrong oil in them. Really, you should only use either the KAAZ or Cusco LSD oil in them as they have slipping agents in the Oil to help reduce the friction between the diff plates. Using an oil without this slipping agent wont help.

The only thing you can do to help reduce noise is altering the plate orientation inside the diff. They all come pre-set at 100%, so by altering the plates, you reduce the amount of friction surfaces working against each other.

Another thing to mention, these diffs are noisy, its just the way they are. The Super-Q ones aren't much different, other than having WPC anti-friction treated plates inside and better heat management, plus you don't need to bed them in after fitting.

12. Fbash1r

Fbash1r New Member

Yh from what i have read it seems as though it is what it is unfortunately. Do you reckon reducing the plates to the 65% medium setting( 4 clutch surfaces) will make it quieter?. some people have ran thiers amd they are quiet which id what confuses me. My friend has a 2way s15 kaaz and his doesnt clunk on tight turns.

13. richie_k83

richie_k83 Well-Known Member

In theory it should make it quieter, in the sense that its not so aggressive with needing to lock up. Worth a shot if your unhappy with it.

I just threw mine it at 100%. Sounds like the back end of my car is getting ripped off sometimes lol

14. Fbash1r

Fbash1r New Member

Thats exactly how mine sounds when i first got it,, my wife goes is the car ok? Lmfao. I think when i get the time i will get it set to 65%

• Like Like x 1