Toyota mark 2 JZX110 manual swap

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by Bob Dobaliner, Dec 20, 2019.

1. Bob Dobaliner

Bob Dobaliner New Member

Hi, probably been asked before, so if there's a link someone could send me... Otherwise, looking for assistance for R154 manual box swap from auto.
    1) can you leave engine in situ.
    2) can you use auto prop shaft
    3) do you need to change ECU
    4) is replacement pedal box easy to find ie interchangeable with other Toyota.
    5) anything that's a bitch

Help and comments appreciated

Cheers

2. Japtorque

Japtorque Active Member

you might be able to do a BMW box instead of the R154 for around the same price ,
    I plan on doing this when my R154 eventually shits itself. .

3. Ortega

Ortega Member

1 yes. Engine Can stay in the car

2 you need the front prop piece from a car using the same transmission, so splenes Line up. And the lenght will not fit, so you need to mate the two.
    I usually messure what i need lenghtswise, and leave it up to a prop shop to make a new from the two, in the lenght you need.

3 no, this is internet myth. I have never replaced ecu when swapping, and NEVER had any issues.
    And made more power on my auto ecu soarer swapped with r154 than my mates Stock manuel with around the same mods.

4 Toyota has everything you need, but costly... you might look into a secondhand brake and clutch pedal. As the Stock auto brake pedal wont fit.

5 You need to rewire a few things, but I Think this comes as close as possible to a soarer i did a few years ago.

ill throw in a link for a forum thread where everything is described.
    edit. Tried to log onto soarerworld where i posted the build, but i cant logo . You might create an account and look for a manuel convertion post by ortega.

otherwise it’s pretty straight forward when you have your parts. Remember longer flywheel bolts as the auto flexplate ones arent long enough for a flywheel.

#3 Ortega, Dec 21, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2019
  4. Bob Dobaliner

Bob Dobaliner New Member

Cheers for the info, I'll have to see about maybe getting a used prop from a manual mkii, might save a bit of grief....

Can you shed some more light on the wiring side of things ?
    thanks

5. Ortega

Ortega Member

Sure.
    there is a few connectors on the slushbox that needs rewireing. I Seem to remember a Big connector that needed the bigger leeds bridged to coax the ecu to Think that it is in netrual to start. You need to look that up.

otherwise it’s, from memory, “just” the reverse switch, and speed sensor that needs redoing.

6. Ortega

Ortega Member

7. Bob Dobaliner

Bob Dobaliner New Member

Nice one , cheers for that and the link below

• Like Like x 1
  8. Nunions

Nunions New Member

Is200/altezza clutch pedal is the same as the jzx110 just cut the brake pedal to size I used an is200 brake pedal to make a template of what size to cut it and just put the rubber from the is200 pedal over it once cut
    The auto prop needs to be lengthened and balanced but if you use a w58 box an is200 prop will bolt straight in
    And the transmission tunnel needs a good bit cut out for the r154 if it's a tripod but with the w58 you dont
    Hope this helps

9. Bob Dobaliner

Bob Dobaliner New Member

Interesting info regarding the clutch pedal, cheers. I am confused as to why the r154 box needs quite a bit of adaption to the tunnel by the sounds of it, given that, that was the tranny used in the manual variant !

10. Nunions

Nunions New Member

The jzx110 r154 has a different shifter housing to the jzx100 r154 which has a tripod type shifter..you can still buy a new jzx110 r154 from Toyota and it wont require as much of the transmission tunnel to be cut out