New member here at driftworks

Thread in 'Other Chat' started by armin, Nov 20, 2019.

1. armin

armin New Member

Hello all together

My son brought me on japanese cars, the japanese car culture and everything that is interconnected with. Actually I'm looking for a Chaser JZX 100 for myself, want to drive this cool car on my old days...
    Does anybody have some tips on what I need to watch out for on this car.
    Thanks to everybody in advance letting me know the specialities of this car.

Cheers

armin

2. AnimalCrackers

AnimalCrackers New Member

Hey man! another new guy here myself. Just got a hold of a JZX90 stateside. I've been doing a lot of reading and it seems like for the most part, these cars are pretty reliable and well put together. It was a toss up between my JZX90 and an R32, and from what I could gather, the JZX was the better car all around. Some being personal opinion of course based on wants / needs, but while I'ma huge Nissan guy, I admit that Toyota has their crap together.

3. Japtorque

Japtorque Active Member

welcome to the forum , Jzx100 sell for a lot of money these days. used to be around £8k a few years ago... now £10k+ for a bad one ! haha £12k for a nice one
    everyone seems to look for a white one .. if you want something cheaper , look for a toyota mark ii jzx 100 or a Toyota Cresta JZX100 they are all the same underneath but come with slightly different boots / front lights / bonnet / grille

4. Blitz.

Blitz. Member

Had mine for about a year now. It's all been really smooth sailing. Only parts I've looked at are the things typically needing to be done at 100k miles.

As for what to look out for it depends on what you're after. Many of the cheaper manuals will be auto conversions but nothing really to worry about if it's done right.

If you want to get a clean car but want to save some money look at the JZX100 Cresta. It's not as nice looking stock but it's all the same guts and interior.

5. armin

armin New Member

@AnimalCrackers

Completely with you. We got two Chaser (my son's and mine) and a 98' Nissan Stagea AWD with RB25. Even the interior built is more worthy at the Toyota's. Nevertheless I like the Stagea very much, 'cause it's an extremely practical long distance car, even when we drive to and in Germany.

1JZ is the better engine as the RB' ones. That was said to me from a guy who is doing with both engine's since 20 years now. The thing is, he said, that the 1JZ ( and the other JZ's as well ) have much larger oil channels and afaik bigger water channels. These point's seem a bit weak in case of high tuning for the RB engine's. They tend to overheat and get less oil to the head by huge load, the JZ's obviously can handle that much better.

The price for good Chaser is rising and rising, that's right. So also in Japan. Last year we went two times to Japan, and we didn't find a (good) Chaser with less Km / mls for under 11000€ / approx 9400 GBP.
    You can get cheaper ones like @Blitz. said, buying a Cresta or Mark II. Or a Chaser with a lot of Km's.

For me there was no option going with these two stylings. I like the styling of the Chaser that much. And my Chaser had to be max with 80000Km / approx 50000 mls. But that is my special thing, becoming important during driving a lot of different car's since nearly 40 years now.

So, enjoy this special car's and treat them well. They become rare. There are not many car's outside nowadays who can reach it. Justmy2cents.

Cheers.

armin